Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #5,221 of 16,931
First off, thank you very much for writing such a detailed review of so many IEM's.  I am a total newbie to IEMs and as such am not really sure what would be a good choice for my first pair.  I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but I do like getting the best sounding equipment that is within my budget.  There is much talk about warm, neutral, smooth, bright sounding, etc when it comes to reviews and I honestly don't know exactly what the difference is.  About 15 years ago I auditioned several speakers from various brands and finally decided on a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-2's that I still have (and love) to this day.  I seem to remember reading or being told that these are neutral speakers, but I don't know for certain.  Also for the past 10 years or so I have used a pair of Koss PortaPro headphones for traveling, but their open design doesn't make these very useful for places with a lot of noise (airplanes, trains, etc).  Prior to the Koss Porta Pros I briefly had a pair of Sennheiser PX-200 which I exchanged for the Koss Porta Pros (and was much happier with).  I mention all this in hopes it will give some of the more experience headphone gurus here a better idea of what type of "sound" I like, as I don't know.  I am not sure if it matters, but as to what type of music I listen to it pretty much encompasses everything except rap and r&b.  Mostly I listen to classic rock, prog rock and on occasion country and classical.

All that being said, what would be a good first IEM for myself?  I'd like to keep the price under $50.  My main concern is comfort (especially being new to IEM's), followed by sound quality, and then microphonics.  I was thinking about either the Meelec CW31 or the M21, both of which are on Amazon for under $30 and had good reviews here.  Again I am grateful for all these reviews and all the other reviews/opinions from others on here.  However, I must admit I was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choices out there.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #5,222 of 16,931

Quote:

If that is the case, why do Ray Samuels, Justin Wilson and others even bother making desktop amps ? 'full detail, soundstage and resolution' compared to what ??  kiteki, I think you need a Bex and a good lie down - you know as well as I do that its not simply about volume, but if you honestly think said 'user' wouldn't peel back layers he didn't know even existed with a better amp, then it might be time to take a break. 

Because they can make money with them, assuming that we're still talking about the worth of portable amplifiers. Why did you jump to desktop amplifiers? 

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #5,223 of 16,931
There was a thread once where someone made a new account and asked "I have some serious cash to drop, what's the best portable rig for $1000?"

One of the answers was Clip+ with JH13, they all laughed at him, and I was skeptical too, but today I see he was pretty much correct!

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5,224 of 16,931

Quote:
Because they can make money with them, assuming that we're still talking about the worth of portable amplifiers. Why did you jump to desktop amplifiers? 

Reread Kiteki's post, particularly the part about soundstage etc on the HE-500. Would you even bother with a desktop amp if you thought you were getting everything out of your cans straight from your source.

I have absolutely no argument with the 'Clip+ straight into IEMs' argument, but that isnt what we are discussing here. Some headphones, even IEMs, do benefit from additional amplification : whether that benefit justifies the dollars involved is another issue. Dismissing portable amps purely on the basis that most IEMs don't require an amp to sound good is akin to dismissing V8 engines because the Japanese make some very fast and nimble 4-cylinder cars.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5,226 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Reread Kiteki's post, particularly the part about soundstage etc on the HE-500. Would you even bother with a desktop amp if you thought you were getting everything out of your cans straight from your source.

Kiteki made no accusations that full size headphone amplifiers do nothing, simply that the benefit/dollar ratio of portable amps is extremely high, and the money is better spent on headphone or source upgrades.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5,227 of 16,931

Quote:
whether that benefit justifies the dollars involved is another issue.

No. That is the issue at hand.

I see dozens of people with $750 iPhones asking about $75 IEM's and $100 amplifiers.

Quote:
'full detail, soundstage and resolution' compared to what ??

How about compared to a HM-801?  Actually, I don't think adding a $300 portable amp to the X19HD will peel layers and explode rainbows like you're saying here...

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5,228 of 16,931

Quote:
Kiteki made no accusations that full size headphone amplifiers do nothing, simply that the benefit/dollar ratio of portable amps is extremely high, and the money is better spent on headphone or source upgrades.

Er, no - she referred to portable amps as a 'myth', although I do agree that in most cases the second part of your assertion is correct.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #5,229 of 16,931
Dec 20, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #5,230 of 16,931
kiteki, I'm interested in RE262 which is one of those iem that really need an amp.

What other iem offers same clarity and detail as TF10, basicaly very similar to SQ, but is midcentric instead of a V shape and doesn't require an amp?
FX700, one of the Westones, EX1000 or ?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5,231 of 16,931
Quote:
kiteki, I'm interested in RE262 which is one of those iem that really need an amp.

What other iem offers same clarity and detail as TF10, basicaly very similar to SQ, but is midcentric instead of a V shape and doesn't require an amp?

If I may, the FX700 isn't midcentric, not now, not ever; nor are the Westones (W3 & W4), though the W4 does have excellent midrange presence, and may even be considered borderline midcentric by some. The EX1000 is balanced, all around, whereas the BA100, RE262, SM3, and much of the Shures are midcentric. Refer to ClieOS' excellent comparison thread, and you'll find a list of specifically midcentric IEM's highlighted, found listed in green.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #5,232 of 16,931
Quote:

[img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/bb/38x38px-ZC-bb964209_avatar-120-9.jpg[/img]
olear
[size=x-small]Dec 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm[/size]
I am enjoying TF10 but am looking for a more mid forward signature. And more quantity and bass impact.

Thinking of either going with W4 (or similar) or getting three mid tiers such as FXT90, EX600 and GR07(or something else in its price range.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks

You want the same high-end as the TF10 with more bass impact and a mid-forward signature.

You can afford three mid-tiers (approx $425?), Lol what am I supposed to say? I think you should reshell your TF10 with Unique Melody with extra drivers (starting at ~$330 - http://www.uniquemelody.com.au/lineup/reshell/), or buy the Thousand Sound TS842.

The reason I say TS842 is because it has the ER-4 driver, which is the only IEM I thought has the same high-end as the TF10 from my brief listening...

As for the "really need an amp" comment, I just linked to a video where a $37 Chinese pos can drive a full-size HP to ear-piercing volumes, the RE262 doesn't need an amp, unless - let me guess - you are using an iPhone!

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #5,233 of 16,931
Reality check: you really have to buy to try and discover/find the best sounding IEMs for yourself. Asking and getting replies based on impression and comparison (you need to know at least one IEM in the comparison to gauge what is being described) --- then purchasing based on recommendation --- is just THE START to this expensive hobby
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #5,234 of 16,931

Quote:
Er, no - she referred to portable amps as a 'myth', although I do agree that in most cases the second part of your assertion is correct.

LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back