Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 23, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #4,891 of 16,931

Quote:
1. is equalizer not recommended on customs or any high end IEM?

2. how does Miracles perform in Punk/Pop Rock and Hip Pop music?

3. How much gap is between Sennheiser IE8, Sony EX1000, and Monster Turbine or any top universal IEM and UM Miracle?

Thanks

1. I don't like the ipod equalizer presets with anything
2. My stance has always been that signature preferences trump genre preferences. If you like the signature, you'll probably enjoy it with any genre
3. You've asked me this via PM. I can't give any more exact of an answer than the scores in this thread give.

Quote:
Joker, about the Shure SE215, you affirmed:

"the upper midrange of the Shures reveals a bit of grain but nothing distracting or even unpleasant."

Do you believe the process of break-in can improve this?

No, that grain is pretty typical of some earphones. In my experience it never really goes away. As for the claims that earphone X only starts sounding really good after 800 hours, I have neither the time nor the patience to test those claims but I've never noticed anything changing notably past my usual burn-in time. 

Quote:
How does the M9's bass compare to the Brainwavz M2's?
Is it as punchy as the M9?

I saw a review on amazon that states there wasn't enough bass..
Which really worries me..

Wondering if I should really upgrade or not..

Also, have you heard about the Soul by Ludacris' SL series?
I was sort of expecting it to be just like Beats, but with the very few reviews there are, it's supposed to be somewhat decent...

M9 has more sub-bass emphasis, the M2 is mostly mid/upper-bass. Anyone saying that the M2 lacks bass is either a basshead or is getting a poor seal - it's bass is way above flat. If you want an M9 upgrade in terms of subbass quantity as well as overall quality you'd be looking at something like the SP51+black ports or Padacs Aksent in the <$50 category.

I don't know anything about the Soul.

Quote:
Hi Joker, as you may recall, I'm looking for an upgrade from the RE0s with more isolation then it's good. I prefer a more analytical sound signature but as long as clarity exists then I won't have much to complain about if there is isolation along with it.

Now I've bought some Shure SE215s just to try what the over ear types are like as well as some Phonak PFE 112s. Whilst the Shure SE215 easily wins in isolation, I do not like the sound signature of it and much prefer the RE0. I do also have the FX1X and quite like the bass too when I want some fun. The Phonak PFE 112s seem pretty good from initial listening but the isolation is horrible, even compared with my RE0 (note I am using shallow triple flanges which seem to isolate the best for straight barelled IEMs for me) and hence I'm stuck with my RE0 for now. I was going to try some Etymotic IEMs but I've decided that they're probably not for me and that the RE0 will probably be "good enough" and not warrant an upgrade to the Etymotic IEMs. 

Now after reading about the VSonic GR07s, I'm quite tempted to go for them as they seem to have enough clarity but with more bass (which is never a bad thing as long as it's not overpowering or muddy). In addition to this, I may be able to get them for £85 (brand new) in the UK which, to me, would give it a VFM rating of 5/5 (I bought my RE0s for £40 second hand so it's also 5/5 VFM).

However, I'm also interested in customs and I feel that on the other hand, the fit and isolation of customs will be perfect, and we all know that SQ depends on a good seal. The ones that I'm planning to buy is the Minerva Mi-1 (I considered the Kozee Infinity X1 Executives but as I'm from the UK I wanted to deal with a UK firm instead) but I'm worried that I'll lost a lot of detail. From initial listening from the Phonak PFE112s though, it seems that a single BA is quite adequate for me though, but I'm not sure what is used in the Minerva Mi-1 and whether or not it'll provide enough clarity.

Tl;dr:
1) How would you compare the VSonic GR07s to the RE0 (I'm aware the RE0 is brighter and more analytical and the GR07 is more balanced, what else would you add/correct to my knowledge?).
2) Will customs generally provide enough clarity with a single BA driver and will the custom fit seal provide a bit more bass? (I love the RE0 but need a better fit/isolation and a tiny bit more bass).

I think the GR07 is what you want, not the X1. The X1 won't have that much more bass than an RE0. Its detail is also not quite there in the upper midrange and treble whereas the GR07 can match the RE0. The clarity of the X1 is something I can't fault, though. Like most of the higher-end single armatures it's very good. I can't generalize to other single-driver customs since the X1 is my only one.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #4,892 of 16,931
Hey joker,
I'm looking to buy a good pair of headphones for under 60$, and i'm currently looking at either the Brainwavz M1 or the Xears TDIII V2.
I listen to a bit of all genres. Which on of these would you recommend more? Or maybe something else?

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #4,893 of 16,931
Hi joker, taking your advise and attempting to better identify my preferred sound signature. I think it's "warm and sweet".

Although GR07 is listed under this signature, which IEM(s) would you suggest that are 
similar to GR07 but have a little more sub/mid bass quantity and impact?

Does EX600 better fit this bill?

Thank you

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #4,895 of 16,931

Quote:

I think the GR07 is what you want, not the X1. The X1 won't have that much more bass than an RE0. Its detail is also not quite there in the upper midrange and treble whereas the GR07 can match the RE0. The clarity of the X1 is something I can't fault, though. Like most of the higher-end single armatures it's very good. I can't generalize to other single-driver customs since the X1 is my only one.

Unfortunately I won't be able to grab the GR07 for £85 as it's already discounted to £99. :frowning2:

I noticed that you say the detail of the X1 isn't quite as good as the RE0 but it's clarity is something you can't fault. What do you mean by these two terms, I thought they were the same? (I'm an audionoob!)

I'm tempted to try both the GR07 and the Minerva Mi-1s but at a price like that I'd rather save a little more and go for dual drivers. Dual driver customs generally mean one full range and one bass right?

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #4,896 of 16,931
Get the GR07, let them burn-in properly and you won't regret it... 
wink.gif

Quote:
Unfortunately I won't be able to grab the GR07 for £85 as it's already discounted to £99. :frowning2:

I noticed that you say the detail of the X1 isn't quite as good as the RE0 but it's clarity is something you can't fault. What do you mean by these two terms, I thought they were the same? (I'm an audionoob!)

I'm tempted to try both the GR07 and the Minerva Mi-1s but at a price like that I'd rather save a little more and go for dual drivers. Dual driver customs generally mean one full range and one bass right?

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #4,897 of 16,931

Quote:
Get the GR07, let them burn-in properly and you won't regret it... 
wink.gif

I need more isolation though, how would you compare the isolation to the IEMs you own? Specifically the TDIIIs

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #4,898 of 16,931
To be honest, I think it all depends on the tips you use, and your personal case... For me, with the TDIII, the best tips for sound quality and isolation (from the ones bundled) are the bi-flanges. With the GR07, I'm still experimenting, but so far I like the included foams (I got the GR07 with the new package), and I'm about to start trying Sony Hybrids. But I got the GR07 recently, so my choice of the best tips for them might easilly change... 
rolleyes.gif

Oh, and right now, I think they isolate about the same. I only use them at home, so this might no be true for other types of use... 
wink.gif

Quote:

I need more isolation though, how would you compare the isolation to the IEMs you own? Specifically the TDIIIs

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #4,899 of 16,931

Quote:
To be honest, I think it all depends on the tips you use, and your personal case... For me, with the TDIII, the best tips for sound quality and isolation (from the ones bundled) are the bi-flanges. With the GR07, I'm still experimenting, but so far I like the included foams (I got the GR07 with the new package), and I'm about to start trying Sony Hybrids. But I got the GR07 recently, so my choice of the best tips for them might easilly change... 
rolleyes.gif

Oh, and right now, I think they isolate about the same. I only use them at home, so this might no be true for other types of use... 
wink.gif

Ah, I also have the TD-IIIs and no matter what tips I try on them, I feel they isolate less than the RE0 with shallow triple flanges (in my profile pic).

I'm mostly concerned with isolation on the London Underground as I'm currently a student and I will be using the London Underground for a few years I imagine before I can buy a car and drive to work (if I can find work in this climate, but that should be for another board, work-fi? :))

I'm really persuaded over the GR-07's SQ but knowing that the isolation won't be so good puts me off it.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #4,900 of 16,931
Well, I understand your problem, but I just listen to my GR07 at home, and I really like them. But for that kind of use, I really can't give you much help... 
frown.gif

Quote:

Ah, I also have the TD-IIIs and no matter what tips I try on them, I feel they isolate less than the RE0 with shallow triple flanges (in my profile pic).

I'm mostly concerned with isolation on the London Underground as I'm currently a student and I will be using the London Underground for a few years I imagine before I can buy a car and drive to work (if I can find work in this climate, but that should be for another board, work-fi? :))

I'm really persuaded over the GR-07's SQ but knowing that the isolation won't be so good puts me off it.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #4,903 of 16,931

Quote:

In my experience using the GR07s in a school setting, I found that the isolation isn't all that bad, and they're pretty usable in a crowd. That being said, the isolation's not as good as my A151s, and I have to turn the volume up a notch to hear the same detail, but it's not bad overall.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #4,904 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker,
I'm looking to buy a good pair of headphones for under 60$, and i'm currently looking at either the Brainwavz M1 or the Xears TDIII V2.
I listen to a bit of all genres. Which on of these would you recommend more? Or maybe something else?

I would the M2 is more of a TD-III competitor than the M1. The M1 is quite balanced, maybe even mid-centric. I think if you are not sure what you want the M2 would be a safer choice. There are a couple of other good all-rounders in the price range - MEElec CC51s, Soundmagic E30, etc.

Quote:
Hi joker, taking your advise and attempting to better identify my preferred sound signature. I think it's "warm and sweet".

Although GR07 is listed under this signature, which IEM(s) would you suggest that are 

Thank you

I don't consider the GR07 particularly warm or sweet and I don't think the EX600 has more bass, especially not more sub-bass.

Quote:
forgot to ask about Brainwavz M4.

I don't know anything about it.

Quote:

Detail is the ability of an earphone to pick up minute elements (details) on the recording . It depends on resolution, speed, dynamics, and other factors. Of course it is related closely to clarity (as many things are) - it is difficult to retrieve detail well with smearing, veiling, or otherwise poor clarity.

I would imagine all dual-driver customs have a crossover so the drivers would cover different parts of the spectrum. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a full-range + a separate bass driver.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #4,905 of 16,931

Thank you

A forward midrange with smoothed treble? GR07s are a bit warm and their sound is kind of midrange focused due to it's good balance, not midrange forward and their treble isn't lacking though it is smoothed after the lower treble spike. I guess it does go into that category but it isn't representative of it. The Fischer Tandems will have a tad more bass impact and will have a warmer and sweeter signature. I don't understand how the K2 got into that category, to me it's treble is forward and very fatiguing (even with comply tips). 

EX600s have less bass and a tad more treble presence, it doesn't seem to fit your bill. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back