Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #4,531 of 16,931

Quote:
What are some of the actual hardware difference between the S3 and S4? What about initial SQ differences? Thanks.

Edit: If both the S4 and the X5 were the same price, which would be the better buy, if one is looking for all around SQ and durability? 

Like the S4, the S3 sounds decent at first listen but it has some very serious flaws. To me it has pretty much all the flaws of the S4 with fewer strengths. I find it very fatiguing, almost unusable. The old S2 was much smoother, albeit less clear and resolving. I've never heard the X5 but would choose it blindly over the S4 as long as you're not after heavy bass.

Quote:
Do you think you can do a review of some of the Polk Audio IEMs, like the Ultrafit 1000?

FAQ is on page 1. I do not have any Polk IEMs on hand at this time.

Quote:
Joker,
I've been waiting for you to review the Ultimate Ears (especially UE 700) for around 5-6 months now, and they are on your 'In Progress' - list but you're not publishing anything on them. Can you please give an update on that situation? I really can't wait to see what's better the UE 700 or Westone 2, and Christmas is just around the corner so need to make my mind up. :D

FAQ is on page 1. Basically, since all of the UE stuff was purchased by me, I won't get around to reviewing it until I'm done with all loans & samples.

Neither is really better between the UE700 and Westone 2 - different signatures. The UEs are crystal clear, bright, and energetic while the W2 on the warm side and more mid-centric.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4,532 of 16,931

Quote:

Neither is really better between the UE700 and Westone 2 - different signatures. The UEs are crystal clear, bright, and energetic while the W2 on the warm side and more mid-centric.

really?

given how much we have both badmouthed the UE700 im surprised to see you say that.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4,533 of 16,931

Quote:
really?

given how much we have both badmouthed the UE700 im surprised to see you say that.

Comparing it to the W2 which I don't like either...

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #4,534 of 16,931

What don't you like about the W2? I know its ranking on your chart is maybe higher because of good build, isolation, accessories, etc. and that it sound is definitely below other top tier phones. Is it that it basically doesn't do anything great? It really doesn't shine at anything while being a little warm and loose, too.

Quote:

Comparing it to the W2 which I don't like either...

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #4,535 of 16,931

Quote:
What don't you like about the W2? I know its ranking on your chart is maybe higher because of good build, isolation, accessories, etc. and that it sound is definitely below other top tier phones. Is it that it basically doesn't do anything great? It really doesn't shine at anything while being a little warm and loose, too.

The sound score doesn't have much to do with why I don't personally like it but other than that you're right - it's an analytical earphone with a warm tilt that doesn't really work for me. It lacks energy and doesn't have the sharpest, flattest, or cleanest response compared to TWFK-based sets. It's also a touch grainy next to something like the CK10 or even UE700. Between the W2 and UE700 both have plenty of flaws and technically the W2 is - in my opinion - the better earphone but it's easy to see someone preferring one or the other. More difficult to imagine someone really liking both.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #4,536 of 16,931
Still looking forward to the TF10 review - when I first began to take an interest in better sound via headphones, they were widely recommended but seem to have taken a bit of a slide in the popularity stakes of late, even against other universals.

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #4,537 of 16,931

Quote:
The sound score doesn't have much to do with why I don't personally like it but other than that you're right - it's an analytical earphone with a warm tilt that doesn't really work for me.

Thanks for the response! That analytical w/ a warm tilt kind of describes the W4, too. So well done, but kind of strangely warm...

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4,538 of 16,931
Quote:
Still looking forward to the TF10 review - when I first began to take an interest in better sound via headphones, they were widely recommended but seem to have taken a bit of a slide in the popularity stakes of late, even against other universals.

And it may very well continue on that same path since it's rumored to be discontinued in the near future...

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #4,539 of 16,931

Quote:
hopes this helps and remember i have only heard ths s2 so many joker could help more

edit: i just looked online and the x5 is close to $200. id say pass on that. if you want a balanced aramature go for the superfi4 which i found for $35 on one website, $50 is the average

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533491-REG/Ultimate_Ears_IP_P4SSA0001_02_Super_Fi_4_Personal_In_Ear.html

Thank you. I got lucky and found out Fry's is selling the X5 online for under $99, and was able to drive to a local Frys and get the last one(the packaging was in terrible shape, but at that price who cares). They let me try the S4 and it was acceptable for my taste,specially since Frys also has as sale on the Pro Media(S4 with a mic for gaming) for under $45 online, but that particular store didn't have an in stock. A good heads up for anyone looking at either model.  

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #4,542 of 16,931
joker
do you the new re272 cable+plug (which i suppose is the same for the last batches for all the other models too) is totally better than the RE0 2009 cloth one. or is there any advantage on the cloth one?

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #4,544 of 16,931
Just stopping by to say Thanks to Joker and congrats on 200. :wink: After much reading I went for the Vsonic GR07 I'm anxiously waiting arrival

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #4,545 of 16,931
As of today this thread is the most viewed in the portable sub-forum. Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Great thread! I just wish there was some equivalent for full size headphones...

Thanks! There's the portable thread which has a couple of full-size DJ cans. None of the real full-size heavy hitters, though.

Quote:
Just stopping by to say Thanks to Joker and congrats on 200. :wink: After much reading I went for the Vsonic GR07 I'm anxiously waiting arrival

Thanks, and congratulations on your purchase!

Quote:
joker
do you the new re272 cable+plug (which i suppose is the same for the last batches for all the other models too) is totally better than the RE0 2009 cloth one. or is there any advantage on the cloth one?

I only know of the RE262 having the same cable as the RE272. I think the RE0/ZERO are still using the (rev. 3?) rubbery PPE cable. The cloth cable was rev.2 and hasn't been in production in a while. I like it just fine but the current one is good too, though not as good as the latest RE272/RE262 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back