Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3,706 of 16,931
could you quick summary between the sound signatures of Xears Nature N3i, Xears TD-III, Xears XE200PRO? and would they be better then Brainwavz M2 if only looking at the sound quality

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #3,707 of 16,931
Quote:
Nice pricing update, prices have been changing a lot in the IEM world so this makes sense. Perhaps something that can denote if the IEM has been discontinued will also be useful instead of the NA in the pricing, to see where they stood. I don't think the C3 or HJE900s are being produced anymore and thus the high pricing, but there are still new ones available. 

OT, but Headdirect's RE252 pricing makes no sense as it's priced higher than the RE262 and almost hitting the RE272 level. Something like 125$ makes a lot more sense

I think the HJE900 is just not being imported to the US. Not sure about the custom 3. I will leave the MSRP of the discontinued units because the late-stage sale prices don't necessarily make sense.

Quote:
hi
i want to get the RE0, but first i want to be sure which version to ask for. i saw already 3 versions!
i prefer the straight plug, but lower microphonics and lower memory cable is better.
any info? thanks

I don't know if you can ask for a specific version. The $169 v1 and the $99 2009 v2 version that I had (with the nylon cord) are no longer being produced. I think my RE-ZERO has the latest cable and it's fine - not spectacular but nothing to complain about, either.

Quote:
In what cases would high sensitivity not be a good thing? Does having that imply that some of the other qualities must suffer for it?  
As for your recommendation: heh, it figures I would choose alternatives that don't quite fit with my criteria.
biggrin.gif

The bass on the ProAlphas seem to be just right, actually. The first choice were the RE0s, but since you described them as maybe too analytical or dry I wanted to check a "fun" alternative to it....how do you think the RE0s would perform for movies and gaming, compared to the ProAlphas?

There are no inherent disadvantages to having high sensitivity but it can make the earphones more revealing of source matching issues. I have plenty of overhead at regular listening volumes so low sensitivity has never really bothered me. Also, I think sensitivity is sometimes confused with efficiency. They are interchangeable in some contexts but high sensitivity does not necessarily imply low power draw unless the impedance is also low.

If the bass on the ProAlphas is just right, the Eterna will probably have too much and the RE0 may have too little. I like the RE0 for movies just because of the high intelligibility. There are other earphones I like just as much, though. The Brainwavz M3 comes to mind again as it really is an excellent all-rounder with no real flaws aside from the form factor.

Quote:
thanks alot for your review, i got my etymotic after reading it and was very satisfied.

now i'm planning to get miiracle over merlin after reading your review =)

Good to hear, hope you like the Miracle! Curious about how the Merlin compares myself. 

I picked up another ER-4S Ety recently and hope to re-visit that review when I have time now that I've heard most other top tiers.

Quote:
could you quick summary between the sound signatures of Xears Nature N3i, Xears TD-III, Xears XE200PRO? and would they be better then Brainwavz M2 if only looking at the sound quality

Those reviews should be posted this coming week. I do think all three are a step above the M2 for overall sound quality but the new prices make me think twice about recommending them. Of the three I like the N3i best, personally.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #3,709 of 16,931

Quote:
There are no inherent disadvantages to having high sensitivity but it can make the earphones more revealing of source matching issues. I have plenty of overhead at regular listening volumes so low sensitivity has never really bothered me. Also, I think sensitivity is sometimes confused with efficiency. They are interchangeable in some contexts but high sensitivity does not necessarily imply low power draw unless the impedance is also low.

If the bass on the ProAlphas is just right, the Eterna will probably have too much and the RE0 may have too little. I like the RE0 for movies just because of the high intelligibility. There are other earphones I like just as much, though. The Brainwavz M3 comes to mind again as it really is an excellent all-rounder with no real flaws aside from the form factor.

Got it, thanks.
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #3,710 of 16,931
Some time ago I asked you guys for advice regarding IEMs for travelling and I got Brainwavz M3. I never used them too much but a few days ago was travelling and took them with me, I was very pleased with them. The only problem is that when I am on a plane and sitting away from the aisle, the guys next to me had to punch me when stewardesses were around as I wdid not hear them, isolation hahaha (I am side-blind so I do not see much on the sides, ahead mostly unless I move my head around).

I was so pleased with them, that now having these and a pair of Sennheiser MX980 earbuds  I am questioning whether I really need my Beyer DT1350s.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #3,712 of 16,931

Quote:
Those reviews should be posted this coming week. I do think all three are a step above the M2 for overall sound quality but the new prices make me think twice about recommending them. Of the three I like the N3i best, personally.

well the discount coupon still works and with shipping they cost €38 each

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #3,713 of 16,931

Quote:
OT, but Headdirect's RE252 pricing makes no sense as it's priced higher than the RE262 and almost hitting the RE272 level. Something like 125$ makes a lot more sense

Who says the RE262 is better? The RE252 has a very unique shape, and joker says "Pros: Impossibly balanced sound, top-tier detail and clarity", for RE262 he says "a sonic departure from Hifimans sound" and "a vastly different animal".  I'm sure Fang has his reasons for the keeping the RE252 at $199.

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3,716 of 16,931

Quote:
Some time ago I asked you guys for advice regarding IEMs for travelling and I got Brainwavz M3. I never used them too much but a few days ago was travelling and took them with me, I was very pleased with them. The only problem is that when I am on a plane and sitting away from the aisle, the guys next to me had to punch me when stewardesses were around as I wdid not hear them, isolation hahaha (I am side-blind so I do not see much on the sides, ahead mostly unless I move my head around).

I was so pleased with them, that now having these and a pair of Sennheiser MX980 earbuds  I am questioning whether I really need my Beyer DT1350s.

Awesome, glad you like them. The IEM market really is getting more and more competitive as we look on. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

have you already tried the other 2 Dunu's ? if you did, how is the isolation?
thanks

Good, 4-ish on my scale.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #3,717 of 16,931
H0ly Sh1t I just heard the EX600's I could not believe what I was hearing!!

They sound better than Shure SE535 and they sound NOTHING like the EX700's wth!..........

When I only have time for a quick demo I usually listen to several songs quickly but I was just stuck on the same song I did not want to press Next.........

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #3,718 of 16,931

Who says the RE262 is better? The RE252 has a very unique shape, and joker says "Pros: Impossibly balanced sound, top-tier detail and clarity", for RE262 he says "a sonic departure from Hifimans sound" and "a vastly different animal".  I'm sure Fang has his reasons for the keeping the RE252 at $199.

The RE262 driver is the same as the RE272 driver which is their flagship driver (made of titanium). It's simply better than the RE252 in performance, the driver is effortless, but HeadDirect's pricing is just weird at times. The RE252 sure is different in sound, but that doesn't change the fact that the pricing is off. Not to mention the build & comfort of the 252 is the worst I've seen from the REs I've tried (RE0/Zero/262)

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #3,719 of 16,931
q-jays, t-jays, Shure SE535, shure srh-840, shure srh-940, ex600, ex1000, Sony Piiq q1, v-jays, Sony zx500........ AHHHHH too many sounds have entered my sonic memory in the past few hours, trying to keep it all intact!
being in Transit at Singapore airpot with a powerful DAP is a fun experience =D

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3,720 of 16,931
I remember Joker mentioning that if the MEElectronics a151s ever came down to around $50, they'd be a 10/10 value since they have no real flaws, unlike the CC51s, who are "capped" at 9.0/10.  Well, for anyone interested...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826735027

Stumbled upon this while researching other products.  MEElectronics a151s for $45 and free shipping (good till the 8/5).  I'm normally not one to "pimp" purchases, but I've been having such a love affair with the ones I bought a month or two ago I couldn't help but say something :)

Oh, and I paid $68 for mine :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back