Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #3,361 of 16,931

Quote:
Mike, I'm a bit curious but do you have any plans for the Phonak Perfect Bass? I've been thinking of getting a budget universal iem not counting my Brainwavz M2 which I don't use for music and these do sound interesting.

I'll probably be reviewing the PB at some point but I don't even have them in my possession yet so it's still a ways off.

Quote:
Nice review on the Realvoice. I think you really got the essence of them. Better than their component sonic parts and something you know will just sound good every time you pick it up. That it can be very slightly back in the very upper mid/lower treble and not sound like it's missing much is an accomplishment. Makes them a bit smooth but not in a bad way depending on perspective. Thanks again for the contributions.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #3,362 of 16,931
joker can you throw me some advice? i'm deciding between gr07 and the hippo vb, but i'm leaning towards the gr07.

My main concern is if the bass of the gr07 wouldn't suffice my needs, hence my other preferred option, the hippo vb. Any insight would be helpful. :)

I'm coming from an mee m6 and a cx500. I like that my m6 is more clear and refined than my cx500, but I feel it lacks in the bass department. I'm hoping that the gr07 would be near or hopefully not far from the bass quantity that my cx500 has.

Btw, thanks for your extensive multi-iem review, it's really a big big help to budding audiophiles like me. :D

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #3,363 of 16,931

Quote:
joker can you throw me some advice? i'm deciding between gr07 and the hippo vb, but i'm leaning towards the gr07.

My main concern is if the bass of the gr07 wouldn't suffice my needs, hence my other preferred option, the hippo vb. Any insight would be helpful. :)

I'm coming from an mee m6 and a cx500. I like that my m6 is more clear and refined than my cx500, but I feel it lacks in the bass department. I'm hoping that the gr07 would be near or hopefully not far from the bass quantity that my cx500 has.

Btw, thanks for your extensive multi-iem review, it's really a big big help to budding audiophiles like me. :D

Doesn't the lack of current availability for the VB pretty much rule in the GR07's favor? GR07 bass is a little less than the M6 assuming your M6 is well-fitted (it really is bassy when fitted properly but many seem to have trouble with that). Not sure what the CX500 sounds like but the CX300 has a huge mid-bass lift. The VB has a different bass curve (more sub-bass than mid-bass). For a more sennheiser-like bass curve with better availability than the VB there are a bunch of other options - Fischer Eterna, Beyer DTX 101 iE, Xears TD-III / N3i, Nuforce NE-700X, and even the Radius DDM at the GR07 price point.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #3,365 of 16,931
thanks for your advice joker! it definitely cleared up my concerns.
smile.gif

looks like gr07 is not going to satisfy me on the low end. The radius ddm looks interesting, i'll try looking for a seller that ships free. If there's none, i guess i'll just go for the vb in the mean time.

Thanks again! :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3,366 of 16,931
Joker, is there anything considered the poor man's RE0?  i'm shopping around for a friend based on his preferences.  Thanks for the help.

also, how are those Miracles treating you?  I don't want to rush you, but how's the review coming on those?

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3,368 of 16,931

Quote:
Actually, Hippo VB is back in stock - http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=20031.msg301184  (http://jaben.net/shopping2/Hippo_VB.html)

That's good to know - thanks!

Quote:
Joker, is there anything considered the poor man's RE0?  i'm shopping around for a friend based on his preferences.  Thanks for the help.

also, how are those Miracles treating you?  I don't want to rush you, but how's the review coming on those?

The RE0 is already a very high performer at its price point. It is possible to get something clear and balanced for less but it won't be nearly as refined or technically proficient overall. For a slightly warm/thick but still well-balanced sound there's the Brainwavz M1. For more clarity and a brighter voicing, the JVC FXC80, Hippo Shroom, and RE2. For a more neutral coloration, maybe the MEElec CX21, Maximo iM-590, or even Xears XR120ProII.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #3,369 of 16,931
I think the RE0's key attributes are it's technical capability, and lack of subbass. The first one isn't really transferable, because if something would be as capable as the RE0, it would be as good as the RE0. And why would anyone want the second one?

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #3,370 of 16,931
It has been said the REO has what I guess we could call quality control problems or perhaps poor design, but whatever.   I didn't have mine thirty days before one channel went dead.  But I had them long enough to hear what I will simply call that "special sound". I really like them.  So if I buy the other models, Zero,  252, 262; how do they compare for durability and having that "special sound"?  I have to have that. Mine have been returned for warranty, but I am going to need a backup.  I have to have "that sound".  Do you understand?  See, I am starting to get surly without my REOs. I apologize. Humbly.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #3,371 of 16,931

Quote:
It has been said the REO has what I guess we could call quality control problems or perhaps poor design, but whatever.   I didn't have mine thirty days before one channel went dead.  But I had them long enough to hear what I will simply call that "special sound". I really like them.  So if I buy the other models, Zero,  252, 262; how do they compare for durability and having that "special sound"?  I have to have that. Mine have been returned for warranty, but I am going to need a backup.  I have to have "that sound".  Do you understand?  See, I am starting to get surly without my REOs. I apologize. Humbly.

There seems to be fewer issues with the newer models but that could just be due to the lower total number sold. Once you sell hundreds of something there are bound to be some issues. I've owned every HiFiMan IEM except for the RE1 and haven't run into any problems. As for the 'special sound', that really means different things to different people. I think both the RE252 and RE262 are fantastic earphones in their own right but both stray a bit from the RE0 signature, the RE252 towards even better balance and the RE262 towards a warmer, sweeter sound. If you like clear-and-detailed you could also look at the Ety HF- and ER-, Fischer DBA-02. VSonic GR07, ATH-CKM99, etc., etc.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #3,372 of 16,931
Thank you lJokerl. Yes, special has many meanings, but despite a forty year love affair with high fidelity I don't feel I can adequarely describe what I like using audiophile terms. I'll take a shot and describe it as a liquid (warmth?) midrange with seperation, micro detail, and just generally what I would refer to as a generic "tube" or valve sound.  As a user of SET (currently 1944 RCA 2A3) I recognized what I considered to be a similarity. REO is the SET of IEMs? Well, perhaps to me.  Years ago I had cans known as Koss Pro 4AA. They caused my ears to perspire and were not good for very long listens. I never went back to cans. Only went to IEMs when I bought the EVO4G and then promply went into Walm and bought the best Koss they had. Stumbled across head-fi.org on The Internets, took a flyer on an IEM with a good rep at a fair price and now I am hooked. When the REO were sent to Flushing I took another flyer on Emo MC5. Not to my liking. The triple flange went into my ears too far and now my left ear seems to be earitated for some reason. Probably be fine in a few days. If I have  to choose I will take tone and PRaT over soundstage and extended high end. I don't think I hear over 14kHz anymore.  I do recognize the value of having a deep and tight bass as foundation for music reproduction, mostly classical. To me, the REOs honored the music in the brief time I had them. I am currently investigating desi, Bollywood, Bhangra, or however it is referred to, and the REOs allowed me to acess and have appreciation for this genre. I think from what you say I will purchase 262s.
I thank you and all posters for sharing your knowledge.  I am sure I will enjoy the 262s.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3,375 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thank you and all posters for sharing your knowledge.  I am sure I will enjoy the 262s.

I agree, the RE262 is difficult not to like. Just very agreeable in every way.

Quote:
hey joker. just for reference

what is your isolation score that is suitable for noise-street-travel places?

I would say 3+ is reasonable, 4.5+ is borderline dangerous. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back