Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3,331 of 16,931
Let's just say that the main difference between the Westone 2 (Older) Vs. UM2 (Newer) is that it's slightly more improved in performance of treble and especially midrange . The Westone 3 (Older) and UMX 3 (Newer) is basically an improvement in bass and slightly more improved in the rest of the frequency. I guess that means the UMX 4 might be the Ultimate IEM if the Build Quality and Sound Quality are crafted correctly.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3,332 of 16,931
I was at B & H today and I saw the Monster Turbine Pro Copper and Westone 4 up close. So coooool!
ksc75smile.gif

I post some pics by this weekend when I'm done exploring B & H.
wink_face.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3,333 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks. Do you, or anyone know if there is a difference in build quality, and accessories? 

You can probably pull the accessory lists of Beyer's site. I doubt the build quality differs but there were a few reviews of the DTX80/100 you could use to double-check.

Quote:
Hey!
Just want to know if anyone can explain me the difference between Westone in-ear monitors, in particular Westone 2 and UM2?
I searched this and other forums and websites but still can't find a definite answer. I read the review for UM3X and Westone 3 (probably similar differences) but still can't understand it. The UM series is older as far as I know, so why would you buy it if there is a newer version which seems to be the same if not better.
I assume the Westone series (1, 2...) are smaller... but what's the difference in sound? Are the UM series for Audiophiles and Professionals so they have a more flat performance, but then why would you buy something different if a flat reproduction is the key (if it is not it is worse).
Please Help.

The W3 and UM3X sound nothing alike. Generally, there are different sound ideals for stage monitors and consumer-class models. The W3 would make a terrible stage monitor, as would many of the other high-end in-ear sets on the market. A lot of consumer-class sets are pretty colored-sounding, even in the top price bracket. Is flat better? For monitoring - probably. For the average music fan listening to top 40 on an iPad - who's to say? For how the W2 and UM2 differ specifically, you'll have to get hold of someone who has heard both.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,335 of 16,931

Quote:
hey joker
what are the "aftermarket" tips you mention in the DBA-02 isolation score? and where can i buy them?

Etymotic triples. They're mentioned in the 'tips' section under the 'specifications' bit. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #3,336 of 16,931
Joker, i'm feeling a harshiness on the sound of cymbals with ECCI PR401. It's normal because of the mild V shaped sound signature or is probally that I don't have a good fit? This harshness is really annoying in some songs, especially in metal.

I'm thinking in give a try on the Sony Hybrids smallers ones because I fell that the ECCI don't go deep on my ear.

EDIT: I tried to remove the Sony Hybrid on ECCI, no sucess. It seems that is more hard than putting. Do you have any method or tip? I just trying to remove the tip with my finger on the nozzle area (the tip is inverted by me).

EDIT2: I get it. Removed the medium one (green) and put the smaller one (orange). I don't see any difference between the two.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #3,337 of 16,931
Added Spider realvoice and Fischer Audio Daleth

Quote:
(3B26) Fischer Audio Daleth

Reviewed Jun 2011

Details: Entry level wooden earphone from Fischer Audio
Current Price: $27 from gd-audiobase.com (MSRP: $29)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 98 dB | Freq: 26-22k Hz | Cable: 4.1’ L-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: Sony Hybrid
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (1.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes) and shirt clip
Build Quality (2.5/5) – Like the wooden earphones from Woodees and Thinksound, the shell of the Daleth is split into two parts – the driver chamber, finished in reddish-looking wood, and a metal front bit with a slim, filterless nozzle. The rubbery cable is thin and has a bit of memory character. Though the strain relief on the L-plug is quite beefy, the other strain reliefs are made of hard plastics. A sliding cable cinch is nowhere to be found and mild driver flex is present on insertion
Isolation (3/5) – The slim nozzles contribute to fairly decent isolation but the stock tips are too flimsy to seal well
Microphonics (3/5) – Very noticeable when worn cable-down; fine otherwise
Comfort (3.5/5) – The slim housings and long nozzles of the Daleth allow for comfortable insertion but the stock tips could be better

Sound (5/10) – The sound signature of the Fischer Audio Daleth is, if nothing else, unique and ambient. The bass is nothing special – less extended and a bit less controlled than that of the pricier wooden earphones from Thinksound and Woodees but not offensive in any major way. Most of the impact comes from the slight mid-bass lift but the Daleth is nowhere near as muddy as the bassier Skullcandy Holua. There is less bleed and less warmth than with the Holua and the mids are less veiled. However, the Daleth has a strange way of presenting music – though the vocals are clear and nicely-centered, there seems to be no point source in the soundstage from which they originate. The resulting sound is enveloping and yet strangely lacking in focus – veiled, but without a drop in clarity. The best I can do to describe it is say that it lacks crispness and sounds a tiny bit ‘smeared’ and too soft of note.

There is a bit of emphasis on the upper mids and lower treble – not so much as to limit the smoothness of the earphones but enough to balance out the tone – the Daleth is only slightly warmer than neutral and noticeably cooler than most of my other wooden earphones. For the most part the treble is not lacking in clarity or detail but, like the midrange, could stand to be crisper. On the upside, the Daleth does have a fairly ‘large’ sound, which is made extremely obvious via juxtaposition with the intimate-sounding Holua. Despite the above-average soundstage size, the Daleth tends to cluster elements closer to the center. There’s no doubt that it can portray distance well, but much of the time it refuses to. The layering and positioning of the Daleth really don’t compete well with higher-end models either. All in all, “big but vague” describes the presentation of the Daleth quite well – for the money it is a fairly impressive performer and, potentially, a good match for vocal-centric music. However, its unique voicing will make the signature hit-or-miss with listeners.

Value (6.5/10) – The Fischer Audio Daleth is a decent entry-level earphone with a number of caveats. Its sound, slightly mid-centric and lacking crispness, won’t please everyone but offers up a good enough performance for the asking price. The accessory pack, build quality, and microphonics all leave a bit to be desired as well. All in all, the Daleth is hardly hi-fi but there are far poorer ways to spend $30, especially if the cosmetics of the earphone are to one’s liking. Those looking for solid build quality and an easier-to-digest sound signature may want to check out the Fischer Audio TS-9002 instead of the Daleth.

Pros: Comfortable; well-balanced for a wooden earphone
Cons: Mild driver flex, thin and tangle-prone cabling

A longer review with comparisons against the Skullcandy Holua, Thinksound TS02, Woodees Blues, and Xears TD-III can be found here

Quote:
(2C39) Spider Realvoice

Reviewed June 2011

Details: Dynamic-driver earphone from Spider Cable promising realistic audio reproduction for acoustic and vocal tracks
Current Price: $78 from buy.com (MSRP: $89.99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 18Ω | Sens: 107 dB | Freq: 5-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes) and bi-flange silicone tips, shirt clip, demo CD, hard clamshell carrying case, and carabiner
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The large housings of the realvoice are made of plastic, though molding quality is quite good. The cable is plasticky and average in thickness. It has a bit of memory and is outfitted with a metal-shelled 3.5mm I-plug, cable cinch, and y-split
Isolation (3/5) – The realvoice is a shallow-insertion, vented earphone. Isolation is average
Microphonics (4/5) – Slightly bothersome when worn cable-down; not an issue otherwise
Comfort (3.5/5) – The earphones are similar in design to the Sony XB40EX and work best with a shallow fitment. The plastic housings make the realvoice lighter than the Sonys and the longer nozzle allows them to stay comfortable longer. Worn cable-down they can still come loose on occasion but cable-up with the cord kept in place by the sliding cinch works for me. The large spine of the earphones also makes them easy to insert and remove in a hurry but may make over-the-ear wear tricky for those with smaller ears

Sound (8/10) – As the name implies, the realvoice was tuned to correctly reproduce vocal elements in music. In the pursuit of realistic vocal reproduction, Spider Cable created a well-balanced and lively-sounding earphone that works across a variety of genres. The low end of the realvoice is punchy and reasonably controlled. The bass is boosted but the earphones are hardly bass-heavy – overall quantity falls below the Xears TD-III but above the Xcape IE. The Shure SE215 has similar bass quantity overall but its low end sounds slightly more dominant due to the laid-back treble and flatter midrange. Bass depth is good and the presentation strikes a respectable balance between speed and presence. Any more speed and the realvoice would begin to sound lean; any less and it would approach the more lingering note presentation of bass monsters such as the Xears TD-III and Beyerdynamic DTX 101. Is it as clean or resolving as some of the more analytical earphones once things get busy? Not quite, but it doesn’t get washed out, either.

Meant to be the focal point of the sound signature, the midrange of the realvoice is clear and surprisingly neutral in tone. It is strong but does not dominate the sound signature, taking a step back compared to mid-forward sets such as the TD-III and Brainwavz M2. There is a bit of warmth but it is far from overbearing - the Shure SE215 and Xcape IE both sound warmer than the realvoice. Midrange clarity is quite good – the realvoice is not the most detailed earphone in its price range but it manages to maintain good resolution throughout without sounding dry or grainy. The mids have a slight downward tilt, losing a bit of emphasis towards the top. The mild lower midrange emphasis gives the vocal presentation some fullness – the earphone had to have been tuned this way by design and makes few passes at absolute accuracy. For the types of acoustic and vocal-based music in which the realvoice is said to excel, however, the balance works well enough. The smoothness in the midrange and at the bottom end doesn’t hurt, either.

The treble carries some sparkle and has good extension at the top, putting it on par with the similarly-priced Shure and Sunrise sets. Compared to the more laid-back SE215, the realvoice sounds crisp and lively at the top. At very high volumes it can get slightly fatiguing due to its mildly peaky nature but during regular listening the earphones remain reasonably smooth and inoffensive. Because the realvoice is not the most transparent earphone, it also tends to be fairly forgiving of mediocre rips and recordings and performs consistently across sources.

The presentation of the earphones matches up well with their sound signature. The soundstage is well-rounded but gives up some positioning precision to the Shure SE215. The SE215 also boasts a slightly wider space but yields a bit of depth and height to the realvoice. Tonally, the realvoice is a touch darker than the HiFiMan RE-ZERO and Sunrise Xcited but brighter than the SE215, Xcape IE, and Xears TD-III. Worth noting is that the well-rounded nature of the realvoice makes it very well-suited for movies and general use. I like to have a universal earphone in my laptop bag and the realvoice has been a great companion over the past few weeks.

Value (8/10) – Despite being Spider Cable’s very first attempt at tuning a portable audio device, the realvoice in-ear is an impressive all-around performer. Its balanced-yet-lively signature positions its sound quality fairly close to the best sets in the price bracket and the vertical-driver design yields surprisingly decent ergonomics and user-friendliness. The form factor is still far from ideal for active use and the passive noise isolation is average but on the whole there’s not much wrong with the realvoice as an alternative to the established segment leaders. It may not be the most  impressive set from a technical standpoint but it provides a very enjoyable listen for not very much money.

Pros: Solid all-around performance, inline mic & 3-button remote standard
Cons: Large housings can be unwieldy

Quote:
Joker, i'm feeling a harshiness on the sound of cymbals with ECCI PR401. It's normal because of the mild V shaped sound signature or is probally that I don't have a good fit? This harshness is really annoying in some songs, especially in metal.

I'm thinking in give a try on the Sony Hybrids smallers ones because I fell that the ECCI don't go deep on my ear.

Probably a little of both. How many hours are on your PR401s?

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #3,339 of 16,931
No requests, he can only review what is loaned or given to him. Look at the upcoming IEM list, the IE is there. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #3,342 of 16,931

Quote:
Added Spider realvoice and Fischer Audio Daleth

Kind of curious, did you keep the Spiders or send them back?

I'm surprised you wore them cable up.  I'm concerned that I'll break them since cable up seems to put a lot of strain were the cable attaches to the end of the spine, even though my ears are on the large size.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #3,343 of 16,931
Joker, thanks for the great work! 

At any rate, I just received my UM Miracles, which I purchased more on instinct than anything else.  I have to say that for me I'm blown away by them.   I like their sound better than anything I've heard before, including my T1 and AD2k.  At any rate, I made a big leap from the HF3 to the Miracles, and while I'm super happy with the Miracles, the thread about whether high end customs are worth it has me wondering whether it would be fun to review a higher end universal in comparison.

Earlier on you mentioned the TWF21 as being up for loan, and given that I don't real feel like shelling out a bunch of cash when I already have something fantastic, I thought that might be a cool opportunity to do a comparison with little cash outlay.  Question for you is that loaner option still available, and do you think that is high enough the spectrum or should I try something like the Westone 4?

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #3,344 of 16,931
I'm enjoying the spider's quite a bit too.. they're some of the most comfortable IEMs I've worn, but as joker said, they're not idea for active use.  My only gripe with them is that they tend to be a little too smooth sounding for my taste.. the details get lost in that liquid presentation.

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #3,345 of 16,931
hey joker

what iem/s would you suggest for:

detail and fun in general
detailed vocals (more on female)
sparkling higs
decent quality bass impact

high isolation for daily travel/noise places 
and comfort for long use
wearing style doesnt really matter

budgets:
sub $100 (sub $80 better)
and sub $200 ( sub $150 if possible)

thanks

btw. do you plan to review the new SoundMagic products?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back