Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 15, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3,271 of 16,931
Added Dunu Ares and Crius

Quote:
He scores the Monster Gold, MD's, Radius DDMs, SM3, 530 highly.  Those are all warm and not paragons of brightness.  Don't forget, it was the SM3 that caused him to readjust his scale.  I for one think he does a great job not over emphasizing FR in his scoring.  Oh well.

You forgot e-Q7, UM3X, IE8, and SM2
tongue.gif
. I really, really don't like the signature of the SM2.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #3,272 of 16,931
From how i understand joker's scoring, i would sum it up as a scale of clarity.
clarity would mean a lot of things.. i can probably list it down below..
1. details, how much can you hear, opposite of er.. well.. less detail (lol). i think he mentioned resolution.
2. focus, how solid is the note, opposite of fuzzy, smeared, related to muddiness.
3. fluidity, how effortless the sound is, or opposite of how constrained the sound is. also related to muddiness, dynamic range, strength of sound, etc.
4. imaging, also related to focus, but more on soundstage, positioning, separation, spatial room for each note, and so on.

taking into account of all the above.. the result is still clarity, how clean the music comes to be heard, or not.. a clean and smooth sounding iem will actually get higher score, a smooth sounding but muddy iem will get lesser score, a clean but harsh sounding iem will get points depending on how the harshness affects the flow of the sound, if it hampers the flow, it gets less, if its simply grainy or piercing or painful but still conveys the sound well, it will get marks depends on how the listener interprets the harshness, or how annoyed the person is.

there's still a lot more things to consider that will affect the sound of the iem, namely balance, presentation, impulse, body, decay, projection, and probably a whole lot more criteria (the glossary have lots anyways) but were not used when putting scores. Its possible that we will get a more accurate idea on where to rank the iems if we consider all 20+ criteria? 30+? dunno, never bothered, just like the lots here.. :), score them, and average the whole lot, but we simply dont have enough resource, measuring tools, scale, or what not to do that, hence the huge bias in the simplified scale used by joker (its HIS reference scale anyways), and differs to other people's scale.

all in all, i found his comments and opinion valuable as a reference vs our own personal opinion, and that can actually give an idea on what to expect when trying out new iems.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #3,273 of 16,931
I'd say clarity is seperate from imaging and detail, since you can have a very clear sound with zero imaging, and likewise a clear sound with all the details smoothed over, pretty sure...

what's all this about clarity in the first place? I came here looking for muddy and dissonant sound, harsh and coloured too, is there an "anti-joker" on head-fi?

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #3,274 of 16,931

Quote:
I came here looking for muddy and dissonant sound, harsh and coloured too, is there an "anti-joker" on head-fi?

Hah!  No comment......
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #3,275 of 16,931
anti joker thread lol..

well imaging can be different, but can be related, depending on how u would want to relate it.
I put smoothed over as focus. how pinpoint of fuzzy the sound is. of course, if all sounds are pinpoint focus, but placed in same location on the imaging, it will blurr out all distinction of the sound, hence diminished clarity. if the imaging are positional, but the sound is not focused, it will sound blurr as well, so its either wide blurring or single point blurring.. both are not clear. both can also be either fuzzy, smoothed over, congested, stacking, etc.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #3,276 of 16,931

Quote:

what's all this about clarity in the first place? I came here looking for muddy and dissonant sound, harsh and coloured too, is there an "anti-joker" on head-fi?

Lol 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #3,278 of 16,931
(I wonder when the Sleek Audio SA7 will come out. I would sure love to test those out......)
rolleyes.gif

Sorry! Just thinking of those powerful, well crafted earphones that can withstand 14,000 G.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #3,279 of 16,931
is there any thread like this for cans? would be interesting because this is a very nice one and helped me out alot, looks like the next iems ill be getting are the m9's looking at the review and ecspecially value rating here :)

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3,282 of 16,931
^ Good question.

Also Sony EX1000, Ex6000, Atrio MG7, also well as the other J-phonic.

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #3,285 of 16,931

Quote:
(I wonder when the Sleek Audio SA7 will come out. I would sure love to test those out......)
rolleyes.gif

Sorry! Just thinking of those powerful, well crafted earphones that can withstand 14,000 G.
tongue_smile.gif

Hard-shell earphones are well and good as long as the rest of the construction is up to par. I know the Monster Jamz can withstand a direct hit with a hammer but then the cable goes three times in as many months, that doesn't really matter. As always, hoping for the best but the cable on my SA1 was sub-par.

Quote:
will you get one pair of j-phonic k2, joker?

I doubt it. Big-name manufacturers almost never reach out to me and I don't think there are a whole lot of K2s floating around Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back