Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3,241 of 16,931
After reading these last posts, I am here thinking, what joker has to go through... from contradictions to dealing with score misreading, lol!
Thanks for being so patient, lol!

Pianist I really think it is time for you to start your own thread, with strong convictions like you have, I think there are a lot of people who would be helped with your point of view.

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3,242 of 16,931
I agree on both points. A few months back, I was very much into the SQ score thing as many do. But, of late, I just take it as an indicator of which tier the IEM would fall into and attach much more importance to what is written. It's not about whether Joker has rated the IEM higher or lower, but whether the signature matches my own preferences (likewise with clieOS' ratings as well).

I won't mind a Pianist Multi-IEM review thread either. Rather than focus energy on Joker's scores, I guess he can give his own SQ scores
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3,243 of 16,931
Quote:
There's a method to it. Hybrids will fit on pretty much anything but it takes a bit of work. Have to start by putting the corner of the nozzle into the inner core of the eartip and then stretching the rest of the core over the nozzle. You have to be a bit careful but hybrids can take a ton of abuse.

Quote:
Joker, i have tried that, but not for so long. I will try again: it's the only way i can think. The green Sony Hybrid is the medium one?

There's another method that might help. Use a ball-point pen or something similar and slide the Hybrids top first onto it (you can moisten the pen to make it easier). Then align the pen's tip with the nozzle (be careful not to damage the IEM's filters, if there are any) and slide the Hybrids off the pen and onto the nozzle. This has helped me on several occasions when I found it hard to stretch the tips directly over the nozzle.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #3,244 of 16,931

Quote:
If you plan to be rough, I'd forget the DBA-02, HF3, and Phonaks. Nothing wrong with their build quality but they aren't exactly high-grade survivalist items. The rest are balanced each in their own way. If the S5i sounds like the S4, the GR07, e-Q5, and SE535 should all be a major step up in resolution. The GR07 is better if you like dynamic-driver bass - the e-Q5 and SE535 both sound more soft and gentle. Same goes for the treble, actually - the GR07 is not necessarily aggressive but it's not at all laid-back. A bit like the M50 in that respect. e-Q5 is not laid back either but it's more polite and refined.

Thank you! I'm almost sold onto GR07, but they are out of stock at the moment on lendmeurears. In the meantime, I'll read about the e-Q5 and the SE535. I like the availability of inline mic and iphone controls on the SE535, but the price is something I have to factor in.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #3,245 of 16,931
hey all
i got my pl50 finally

didnt have good luck with the foams tips , and only the M and L silicone fit

i've already ordered the hybrids (the clone ones) from ebay. hope they arrive soon
so any suggestions about better tips? silicone or foams? bi/tri-flanges?

if they can  match the DBA-02 too, would be better
btw my inpressions  fo the pl50? ... just look at my avatar!

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #3,246 of 16,931

Quote:
I agree on both points. A few months back, I was very much into the SQ score thing as many do. But, of late, I just take it as an indicator of which tier the IEM would fall into and attach much more importance to what is written. It's not about whether Joker has rated the IEM higher or lower, but whether the signature matches my own preferences (likewise with clieOS' ratings as well).

I won't mind a Pianist Multi-IEM review thread either. Rather than focus energy on Joker's scores, I guess he can give his own SQ scores
wink.gif

I would not read it. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #3,247 of 16,931

They are supposed to be in stock this Friday....

Quote:
Thank you! I'm almost sold onto GR07, but they are out of stock at the moment on lendmeurears. In the meantime, I'll read about the e-Q5 and the SE535. I like the availability of inline mic and iphone controls on the SE535, but the price is something I have to factor in.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #3,249 of 16,931

(I posted this in another thread but I figured asking here couldn't hurt either)

Hi all,

I'm another new buyer and pretty inexperienced in the whole IEM field, so any help would be appreciated. I've browsed these forums a good amount, learned quite a bit, but still can't decide on a pair of IEMs. My only experience in this field are with a pair of Ink'd by Skullcandy so I don't really know good sound from bad but I imagine anything will be an upgrade (don't get me wrong, these things have last well over 4 years, so kudos for <$10).

First things first, my price range is ~$40. With that, I know not to expect the best but I would like the best that that amount can buy. I much prefer straight-down to over-the-ear as well. Meelectronics' M6 came with high reviews but was ruled out because of that factor. I did order an M9 since it was only $17 but those will probably serve as a back-up pair to the decision that will hopefully be made in this thread (if not, I still have something decent at least).

Listening environment -- isolation isn't high up on my list but it never hurts as I do plan on taking them to the gym occasionally (my gym is pretty quiet though). At work, I only have one monitor in my ear the majority of the time so I'm not sure if that changes anything, but I do use both as I'm walking around campus.

My player is just a 16GB Zune HD, no amp or equalizer. I do listen to a wide range of music (very little rap/hip-hop though) but I would guess my main genres, NOT in order of preference, are rock, punk, alternative, and classical. Classical aside, some of my favourite artists are Jimmy Eat World, Say Anything, Relient K, House of Heroes, Andrew WK, SR-71, and The Classic Crime. Other artists that show up in my playlist -- Blink 182 and variations (Angels and Airwaves, Boxcar Racer, +44), Coheed and Cambria, The Fall of Troy, Dance Gavin Dance, Sugarland, The Dangerous Summer, The Dear Hunter, A Day to Remember, Enter the Haggis, Passion Pit, Straylight Run, and Four Year Strong. Probably not the best spread but that should help determine a good fit.

As per this thread, the pair that caught my attention were Brainwav's M1 but there were a lot in there so I couldn't really decide. Many seem to think that the M2 is worth the extra coin, but following that, might as well spend just a bit more and get a pair of RE0. Amplifiers are a completely different beast that I know nothing about. Would something cheap like the FiiO E5 be of any benefit with my price range or would that extra $20 be better spent on a higher end IEM?

After reading this, does anyone have any input that would help me make a decision. Thanks!

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #3,250 of 16,931
Quote:
After reading these last posts, I am here thinking, what joker has to go through... from contradictions to dealing with score misreading, lol!
Thanks for being so patient, lol!

Pianist I really think it is time for you to start your own thread, with strong convictions like you have, I think there are a lot of people who would be helped with your point of view.

I don't see how one's subjective impressions on sound can help anyone, except maybe really close friends or relatives who know the person well. We all have different ears, gear, music.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #3,251 of 16,931

Quote:

Joker, i have tried that, but not for so long. I will try again: it's the only way i can think. The green Sony Hybrid is the medium one?

I pretend to do A/B comparasion with the AT CKM55 with my Fiio E7 (that have two headphones jack) but, from what I hear, I can see that the ECCI PR401 is much better to CKM55.

The only thing that bothers me is the fit. With the original ones, i try the medium size and, althrought the IEM seems to fit my ear, they don't go very deep: if i put my finger in the IEM and push it to my ear i can feel that he goes deeper and then came back a little when i put my finger off. It's normal?

My fear is of bad fit, because sometimes I hear the voice of the vocalist become harsh.

Ah, Joker, do you notice an improvement of ECCI PR401 with burn-in?

Green is the medium (2nd largest) for hybrids. It's normal to be able to push the IEM further in than it normally sits but maybe a smaller size is worth trying just in case. I don't remember if the PR401 benefits from burn-in but if I didn't mention it specifically in the review, chances are the changes were subtle at best. 

Quote:

There's another method that might help. Use a ball-point pen or something similar and slide the Hybrids top first onto it (you can moisten the pen to make it easier). Then align the pen's tip with the nozzle (be careful not to damage the IEM's filters, if there are any) and slide the Hybrids off the pen and onto the nozzle. This has helped me on several occasions when I found it hard to stretch the tips directly over the nozzle.

Sounds reasonable.

Quote:
hey all
i got my pl50 finally

didnt have good luck with the foams tips , and only the M and L silicone fit

i've already ordered the hybrids (the clone ones) from ebay. hope they arrive soon
so any suggestions about better tips? silicone or foams? bi/tri-flanges?

if they can  match the DBA-02 too, would be better
btw my inpressions  fo the pl50? ... just look at my avatar!

Meelec A151 single/bi/tri-flange tips should fit but of course the A151 came out long after the PL50 so I'm not sure anyone has tried the tip combination. I think T200s from Comply will fit also but you may want to search through the long PL50 threads for confirmation.

Quote:
First things first, my price range is ~$40. With that, I know not to expect the best but I would like the best that that amount can buy. I much prefer straight-down to over-the-ear as well. Meelectronics' M6 came with high reviews but was ruled out because of that factor. I did order an M9 since it was only $17 but those will probably serve as a back-up pair to the decision that will hopefully be made in this thread (if not, I still have something decent at least).

Listening environment -- isolation isn't high up on my list but it never hurts as I do plan on taking them to the gym occasionally (my gym is pretty quiet though). At work, I only have one monitor in my ear the majority of the time so I'm not sure if that changes anything, but I do use both as I'm walking around campus.

My player is just a 16GB Zune HD, no amp or equalizer. I do listen to a wide range of music (very little rap/hip-hop though) but I would guess my main genres, NOT in order of preference, are rock, punk, alternative, and classical. Classical aside, some of my favourite artists are Jimmy Eat World, Say Anything, Relient K, House of Heroes, Andrew WK, SR-71, and The Classic Crime. Other artists that show up in my playlist -- Blink 182 and variations (Angels and Airwaves, Boxcar Racer, +44), Coheed and Cambria, The Fall of Troy, Dance Gavin Dance, Sugarland, The Dangerous Summer, The Dear Hunter, A Day to Remember, Enter the Haggis, Passion Pit, Straylight Run, and Four Year Strong. Probably not the best spread but that should help determine a good fit.

As per this thread, the pair that caught my attention were Brainwav's M1 but there were a lot in there so I couldn't really decide. Many seem to think that the M2 is worth the extra coin, but following that, might as well spend just a bit more and get a pair of RE0. Amplifiers are a completely different beast that I know nothing about. Would something cheap like the FiiO E5 be of any benefit with my price range or would that extra $20 be better spent on a higher end IEM?

After reading this, does anyone have any input that would help me make a decision. Thanks!

My suggestion would be to wait for the M9 to arrive and go from there. M9, M1, M2, and RE0 all sound very different but having an additional data point to your Ink'd might help figure out a direction. I wouldn't bother with an E5 and of course moving up to the M2-RE0 price range opens up a bunch of other high-performing earphones with different sound signatures - Sunrise, Fischer, Refurb Turbines, higher-end MEE stuff. I think you can also still get any Xears model for 30EUR+shipping with a coupon code mentioned a few pages back. The XR120, TD-III, and Nature N3i are easily worth that much, and more.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #3,254 of 16,931

Little late, but I think  Pianist's critical approach is fun, regardless of that...
Pianist....your "it's hard to get a perfect fit" just sounds like an excuse. I get a perfect fit with 95% of my IEMs, which results in the deepest bass possible for the driver which I test with sine waves. You get a sense of that "perfect fit" with enough experience, my ears usually get the best fit with triple flanges which I used on my brief listen of the Shures. Joker has more experience than us both and I'm sure he tested them with that "perfect seal". The 530s have a likable signature, but it's just lacking in technical strengths. It does have one of the best dynamic ranges I've heard from a BA but that's the best complement I could give it. Joker has had enough experience know when his fit is best and how to manage it with all the IEMs. His descriptions of the Shures are quite respectable, I will be surprised if you disagree on that. I do wish he had more time to just sit back and take his time on each review though, the man is kind of being overworked. 

For Fun...........
Posted by Pianist

Here are some reasons why I think SE530 should be rated higher than it is:

- It is superior to e-Q7/e-Q5 overall IMO. In fact, in some ways, it simply blows away these two IEMs, namely in imaging and separation. In other ways, it is at least on par IMO. Dynamics are at least as good on the Shures, although I think SE530 is more dynamic, soundstage has better depth, the sound is more refined, there is more micro detail/texture, especially compared to e-Q5, the treble is smoother and more delicate vs. e-Q7 and at least on part with e-Q5 maybe missing only a little bit of extension on the very top - no big deal. the bass on SE530 is similar to e-Q7 in quality and character IMO - it has a similar impact and texture, but also a better sense of tactility/flow. The Ortofons sound a bit rough, I dare say even schematic compared to SE530 which is just more refined, smoother and more effortless overall to these ears.

Imaging and separation is better on the Shures though not by much. Dynamic range is larger on the Shures actually, the soundstage depth is proof of it. Micro detail is better on the Shure but macro clarity is just better on the Ortofons. SE530s treble smoothness is what makes it sound unrealistic in those regions imo, too polite. Ortofons do a it a tad better, they don't do cymbal crashes well either but violin overtones are felt  better than the Shures due to their extension and bit more presence. The bass on the Shures is one it's weak points imo, it simply does not have the character though the quality is quite good. Impact is lacking (though close when compared to the 5s.) and while quite tactile, it doesn't have the texture of the Ortofons. I actually agree with your points about the Ortofon's apparent roughness when one will compare it to the SE530s, but the Shures are too smooth and creamy (though in  different way than something like the SM3). 

- DBA-02 is rated higher and yet SE530 is clearly the better IEM to these ears by a large margin. The Shures destroy DBA-02 in dynamics and micro detail. SE530 is also more balanced tonally and more natural sounding, whereas DBA-02 is bright and overly sharp by comparison. SE530 is smoother, more refined and subtle, while DBA-02 is much grainier and too dry, almost clinical by comparison. DBA-02 sounded to me like it tried very hard to provide a realistic representation of real performance and somewhat succeeded with a pretty impressive holographic presentation with good recordings. But SE530 sounded like it didn't even have to try - music just flowed through it so naturally and effortlessly and it provided a much more believable, lively and dynamic representation of the original recording than DBA-02 IMO, which just sounded limited in its abilities by comparison.

I actually agree that the DBA02s are rated a bit high (this isn't a perfect science so we should live with it) but I can see where it's coming from. Both do micro detailing quite well, but the DBA02 are more compressed and in your face. Didn't find the DBA02 much grainer, but it is dry and clinical. I don't think the DBA02 is that realistic,  it "shows off" it's technical strengths with the compressed dynamics. The DBA02s have more apparent clarity and actually have more energy in it's notes. The SE530s are once again almost too smooth, that while having great dynamic range, are just too soft. Imaging is better on the DBA02 but the Shures have a bigger stage with respectable imaging. 

- RE262 is rated higher than SE530 and yet what does it do better? Nothing IMO. But not only does it do nothing better, it also sounds much worse when not amped properly. I have not tried it amped unfortunately, but I highly doubt that amping it will completely transform its sound so that it will suddenly surpass SE530. Unamped RE262 is no match at all for SE530 - bass, mids, highs, soundstage, dynamics all sound very limited on the RE262 unamped vs. SE530 unamped. Even when amped properly, I don't expect RE262 to match SE530 in detail, separation and timbre. I think RE262 is quite colored compared to SE530 and further from the truth.

Here's what you're missing. Dynamic range is larger on the RE262s. The RE262s are soft like the Shures but actually have more energy and sound more realistic because of that. Detail and separation is better on the Shures and timbre is better on the RE262 in a general sense. Sounstage is wider and deeper on the RE262s but the Shures have more pinpointing imaging. The RE262 is more colored than the Shures and I think that's the RE262's main weaknesses. 

- FX700 is rated quite a bit higher, but to these ears, it's not really better than SE530, just different. In some aspects, like imaging and dynamics, I think SE530 surpasses FX700. In other things, like bass depth, impact and treble, FX700 takes the cake. In most aspects, the are pretty close however. Mids are stellar on both, although different in character/presentation. bass quality is similar (agree with all this so far). Timbre may be better on FX700, but SE530 is more tonally balanced (agree but not at lower volume volume settings which are the JVC's niche). Strings and acoustic guitars are better with FX700, but I think vocals and most other instruments are equally impressive on both (vocals do have better timbre on the Shures but that's where it ends, to be fair it's hard to test timbre without listening to a variety of instruments but i'm not expecting that many). Overall, I think that SE530 can sound more realistic than FX700, because it has superior imaging abilities and a deeper, more immersive soundstage

This comparison is actually mostly spot on to how I will compare them. The SE530s don't give you a hefty note though and sound unrealistic in that aspect. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #3,255 of 16,931
Quote:
Does that imply that the SE215 is not a good choice? I was considering getting it as a backup IEM because the $100 price tag isn't bad at all, but it seems you weren't impressed. Ah well, looking forward to the review.

Well, different strokes for different folks. Seems like |Joker| just doesn't like Shure sound signature. There are many other people who don't like it and that's fine. That doesn't mean Shure is no good of course. I personally love the Shure signature lush midrange, rich, textured, laid back sound. I thought all Shure IEMs I tried - and I tried almost all of them - sound great. They are not for those who like a sharp aggressive sound, but rather for those who prefer a rich, somewhat dark, laid back listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back