Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #2,551 of 16,931
Joker, this might be a different sort of question than what you usually get, but I'm wondering which IEMs do you find most comfortable? Is it your customs, or your ck10? Something else? I know everyone always espouses the virtues of a custom IEMs fit and comfort, but personally I can't help but think that they might feel a bit intrusive. Especially the fact that they fill up your ear, unlike the smaller universals which basically just sit in your ear canal. What's your experience been?

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,552 of 16,931
When should we be expecting the review of the VSonic GR07? It seems like a great IEM from ClieOS's review and I was just wondering how it matches up to other IEMs in that price range.

These threads must kill your free time and your wallet. 160 IEMs is crazy!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #2,553 of 16,931
whoa, been gone for awhile and now it seems that there's a few new ones to try out : D
Heard the eq-7 recently, and the sony MDR-EX1000 recently. Too short a listen to have a concrete impression, but liking what I heard.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #2,554 of 16,931

Quote:
Which IEM would you recommend if vocals is important. I dont listen to instrumental music like dance or classical. All music i hear is with people singing in it. What kind of characteristics should i look for in a IEM?

budget max 100$.

Quote:

thats the same question i wanted to ask. good thing that my pl50 are already on their way

is there something from meelec that would match those needs? how about the a151? budget up to $75 (as the a151) would be ok but i can consider higher prices too. over-the-ear if possible , for less-microphonics
or maybe there's no match for the pl50 at that price?

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2,555 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, this might be a different sort of question than what you usually get, but I'm wondering which IEMs do you find most comfortable? Is it your customs, or your ck10? Something else? I know everyone always espouses the virtues of a custom IEMs fit and comfort, but personally I can't help but think that they might feel a bit intrusive. Especially the fact that they fill up your ear, unlike the smaller universals which basically just sit in your ear canal. What's your experience been?

The answer to this might be surprising but I think it's the dB Logic EP-100 with Shure Olives, and I'll explain why.

I think there's a comfort 'ceiling' at which point an IEM simply disappears when worn. Several models reach that point for me, including my full-shell customs (assuming they are properly fitted, of course), my Ety HF3 w/custom tips, the CK10, the smaller Westones (W1 & W2), q-JAYS, dB Logic EP-100s, and a few others. As long as I am doing my listening while upright & stationary, all of these simply vanish. From there the major difference is how comfortable they remain under abnormal listening conditions, such as while lying on the side. I don't mind sleeping in my customs (unless your impressions were bad customs should only feel intrusive while inserting/removing them) but I do feel them pressing against my ear. Same goes for the Westones. The q-JAYS remain mostly unaffected except for one thing - they have a tendency to shift insertion angle when the cord gets tugged slightly. It's not a huge issue but it does mean they are less secure, staying in mostly by virtue of seal alone. Which brings me to the EP-100 - they are absolutely tiny (about 50% smaller than the CK10), don't require a particularly deep seal like the CK10s do, and sound pretty much the same at any insertion angle. If I had to wear an earphone 24/7 for whatever reason, it would be the EP-100.

Quote:
When should we be expecting the review of the VSonic GR07? It seems like a great IEM from ClieOS's review and I was just wondering how it matches up to other IEMs in that price range.

These threads must kill your free time and your wallet. 160 IEMs is crazy!

Some time next week. It is a very good IEM (one of the few well-balanced dynamics) and may be the only dynamic-driver earphone suitable for pro monitoring use. 

Quote:
is there something from meelec that would match those needs? how about the a151? budget up to $75 (as the a151) would be ok but i can consider higher prices too. over-the-ear if possible , for less-microphonics
or maybe there's no match for the pl50 at that price?

The A151 and PL50 actually use the same driver but the A151 is tuned differently and I think has a more airy presentation and more bottom-end presence. There was an A151 review posted a few days ago (by DervishD I think) that compared the two. The PL50 is still hard to beat at its price and brand-name products that perform at the PL50/A151 level (i.e. Westone 1) will cost you more.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2,558 of 16,931
Joker, how much does tip selection affect the sound on the DBA-02 and the CK10? I just received my Ck10 today and compared to my DBA-02, they have a far more balanced sound IMO. The DBA-02 has very "sizzly" treble, and is super forward, whereas the Ck10 is a little bit "slower" in the treble but isn't as sizzly; it's still a little forward but the fact that there's more bass helps to alleviate the treble fatigue. I'm using the same Monster foam Supertips on each one - a medium for my left ear and a small for my right ear (different sized ear canals, although the difference between M and S for foam supertips is not big at all). I'm just wondering if the supertips change the sound, since my findings seem to go against your findings (you said that the CK10 would be bordering sibilant, whereas the DBA-02 is more balanced for you). I do not have any of the recommended tips for either of these - no Sony Hybrids, Shure Olives, Shure single-flanges, nor Ety triple flanges.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2,559 of 16,931
Hi |joker|, 

I'm really curious about the SM2's review. It takes a long time to get used to them, but I still prefer them to my other in-ears in my inventory. 

Will it take more time than the others in-ears review? Will it be published shortly?

Keep the good work, congrats.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #2,560 of 16,931

Quote:
Will you be able to do the sennheiser CX95's?

thanks in advance

No plans for a CX95 review at the moment

Quote:
Joker, how much does tip selection affect the sound on the DBA-02 and the CK10? I just received my Ck10 today and compared to my DBA-02, they have a far more balanced sound IMO. The DBA-02 has very "sizzly" treble, and is super forward, whereas the Ck10 is a little bit "slower" in the treble but isn't as sizzly; it's still a little forward but the fact that there's more bass helps to alleviate the treble fatigue. I'm using the same Monster foam Supertips on each one - a medium for my left ear and a small for my right ear (different sized ear canals, although the difference between M and S for foam supertips is not big at all). I'm just wondering if the supertips change the sound, since my findings seem to go against your findings (you said that the CK10 would be bordering sibilant, whereas the DBA-02 is more balanced for you). I do not have any of the recommended tips for either of these - no Sony Hybrids, Shure Olives, Shure single-flanges, nor Ety triple flanges.

A lot - tips definitely have the potential to modify a sound signature but there are other variables such as ear canal shape, insertion depth & angle, etc. Tips aside there are still response differences between the CK10 and DBA-02. The treble peaks of the CK10 come in higher up on the frequency response - it is quite possible that you are not as sensitive there as lower down where the DBA's emphasis comes in. The Ck10 also has flatter bass response. I have no idea how supertips mesh with either earphone but the CK10 definitely needs a very good seal to sounds its best. It's easy to get that sort of seal with trips but I manage with Hybrids because my ear canals are nearly large enough to swallow the CK10 whole.

Quote:
Hi |joker|, 

I'm really curious about the SM2's review. It takes a long time to get used to them, but I still prefer them to my other in-ears in my inventory. 

Will it take more time than the others in-ears review? Will it be published shortly?

Keep the good work, congrats.

Aiming for next week with the SM2 review but I'm busier than usual these days and the backlog just keeps growing. Can't say I prefer the SM2 to the SM3 though.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #2,561 of 16,931
is there a sonic difference between wood and metal casing? also, do you think the wood design such as those in xears and thinksounds would last  in the long term? even tho they look ok, for me the wood looks kinda flimsy in most of the pictures.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #2,562 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm just wondering if the supertips change the sound, since my findings seem to go against your findings (you said that the CK10 would be bordering sibilant, whereas the DBA-02 is more balanced for you). 

Tips are huge on the CK10, DBA, Etys.  I'm with Joker on the CK10/DBA impressions.  CK10 treble was too much for me but had more bass extension.  Despit the roll off, DBA bass is more impactful and punchier with a bit more body to the overall sound signature for my ears.  Gives it a more rounded natural sound whereas the CK10 is a bit leaner but has better texture.  CK10 has more body than the ER4 though.  YMMV.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #2,563 of 16,931
Well I finally got my nuforce 700, plugged them into my i9 and.. I gots bass!
bigsmile_face.gif
  But seriously, between the HT setup and the HFI780 at the computer, this portable setup will fit in much better than I had ever hoped for.  Thanks for this thread!

However I have to say, as a first time IEM user, sticking stuff deep into my ears like that feels really wrong, I only do it cause the sound that comes out is pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back