Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,508 of 16,931

Quote:
What do you guys think about adding the SW XCape to my collection as a low-budget improvement over Sony's MDR EX300?

Most of the good $50-80 in-ears are an improvement over the EX300. It's worth noting that the Xcape has a lot less bass, however, and that the v1 Xcape which was reviewed here is no longer available.

Quote:
Is there anyway I can buy the Xcapes v1? Or should I look for other IEM's?

Can't think of a way other than the FS forum.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2,510 of 16,931
Ok, I was satisfied with my EX300 but am appreciating the weaknesses of it. What I want in the long run is an easy-to drive, dynamic (if practical) IEM that has the spaciousness and punchy~detailed fluidity that I get out of the Altec Lansing ATP3 computer speakers, without the signature being overly analytical. Portable durability is a significant consideration. The Sony EX1000 sounds like the ideal, but the geometry might get in the way ...My collection runs the gamut - I don't have a lot of Jazz or Rap, but what I have of them is good at putting the phones through a 'punishing demonstration.' ps. I woud love high vocals to be exceptionally clear...violins too...

What is the distinct difference in the following, besides shape and price?

Interested in for long-long term...
Sony EX1000
EQ-7
SM3
Westone 4
ER4S

Upgrades on a budget:
RE-Zero
Sunrise XCape, (if obtainable)
Meelectronics CC51

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2,511 of 16,931

Quote:
I thought you had one incoming ljokerl. What's up with that?

It was supposed to be forwarded through Ethan @ bugden but never got to me. I'll probably get another one sent out soon enough.

Quote:
Ok, I was satisfied with my EX300 but am appreciating the weaknesses of it. What I want in the long run is an easy-to drive, dynamic (if practical) IEM that has the spaciousness and punchy~detailed fluidity that I get out of the Altec Lansing ATP3 computer speakers, without the signature being overly analytical. Portable durability is a significant consideration. The Sony EX1000 sounds like the ideal, but the geometry might get in the way ...My collection runs the gamut - I don't have a lot of Jazz or Rap, but what I have of them is good at putting the phones through a 'punishing demonstration.' ps. I woud love high vocals to be exceptionally clear...violins too...

What is the distinct difference in the following, besides shape and price?

Interested in for long-long term...
Sony EX1000
EQ-7
SM3
Westone 4
ER4S

Upgrades on a budget:
RE-Zero
Sunrise XCape, (if obtainable)
Meelectronics CC51

For spacious, punchy, and detailed <$100 the ECCI PR401 is probably worth looking into as well. 

For the rest of them, just read the reviews on the front page. There's more to each than price and shape.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #2,512 of 16,931
Joker,

I don't know what is my favorite sound signature. The only thing that i can say is that i like a good bass with impact (but i'm not a basshead) and good highs. I listen most to rock and what a like when the music goes on is the energy of guitar (probaly because of good highs?).

And i want a good instrument separation too, because my actual IEM (the CKM55) is bad in this aspect.

How you compare the ECCI PR401 and Brainwavz M3 in sound (bass / mids / highs)? What is the sound signature of both?

My price range is up to $150.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,513 of 16,931
You should contact GD AudioBase, I think it is still the v1. I loaned my v2 to a v1 owner last week, he said it's not that big of a difference. I shall hear it myself next week. (bass is bumped a bit)

I thought you had one incoming ljokerl. What's up with that?

"This product has been discounted due to the dented box. "

Any other places I can buy em at?

Joker,when will your Xcapes v2 review be up?

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #2,514 of 16,931
Thought about making a new thread, but figured I'd just post in here instead. I'm in the market for a decent IEM. Today I bought the Kilpsch S4 somewhat on an impulse, and they are just too bassy and warm. I haven't burned them in the necessary 100+ or so hours I've seen people recommending on here(obviously), but I can't imagine the sound changing too terribly much from what is is now. They're so bassy it feels like it's bleeding into the midrange, and they're also a bit sibilant at times. I suppose the sibilance might go away with burn in. I would just prefer something with a little more clarity.

I listen to lots of different kinds of music so I'd like it to be relatively versatile. Listening to trip-hop with the S4s is OK...classical, not so much. I also listen to rap, metal, indie, acoustic, electronic, folk, singer-songwriter, etc. etc. So maybe something more balanced would be best? I do find the S4s to be comfy, and they isolate pretty well.

I already dropped $80 on the S4s, so that's my budget pretty much.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #2,515 of 16,931
I know I've seen plenty of other reviews on it, but I'd like to see a TF 10 make it on this review thread.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,516 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker,when will your Xcapes v2 review be up?

See above:

Quote:
It [Xcape v2] was supposed to be forwarded through Ethan @ bugden but never got to me. I'll probably get another one sent out soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorbrt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How you compare the ECCI PR401 and Brainwavz M3 in sound (bass / mids / highs)? What is the sound signature of both?

My price range is up to $150.

There are reviews of both on the front page of the thread. M3 is pretty balanced with maybe a tough of forwardness in the mids. The PR401 is mildly v-shaped with emphasis on mid-bass and treble.

Quote:
Thought about making a new thread, but figured I'd just post in here instead. I'm in the market for a decent IEM. Today I bought the Kilpsch S4 somewhat on an impulse, and they are just too bassy and warm. I haven't burned them in the necessary 100+ or so hours I've seen people recommending on here(obviously), but I can't imagine the sound changing too terribly much from what is is now. They're so bassy it feels like it's bleeding into the midrange, and they're also a bit sibilant at times. I suppose the sibilance might go away with burn in. I would just prefer something with a little more clarity.

I listen to lots of different kinds of music so I'd like it to be relatively versatile. Listening to trip-hop with the S4s is OK...classical, not so much. I also listen to rap, metal, indie, acoustic, electronic, folk, singer-songwriter, etc. etc. So maybe something more balanced would be best? I do find the S4s to be comfy, and they isolate pretty well.

I already dropped $80 on the S4s, so that's my budget pretty much.

M3, CC51, PR401, Silver Bullets would pretty much be the usual suspects. None of them have as much bass or are as sibilant as the S4. If you really want balance than the RE0 but it seems like you aren't too sure yet.

Quote:
I know I've seen plenty of other reviews on it, but I'd like to see a TF 10 make it on this review thread.

It's on the to-do list (see post #8 on the front page)

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,517 of 16,931
Joker, I just read your review of the FX700 and although I agree about your take on their bass and mids, I disagree with your description of the treble and soundstage and with your overall rating of this IEM. Did you burn the FX700 in before reviewing? Personally, I find the treble on them is very soft and smooth and not at all emphasized in relation to the mids. In fact, the balance between mids and treble on the FX700 is probably the best I've ever heard in an IEM. I do agree that the bass is emphasized, but the treble is not to my ears. I also disagree about the soundstage - I think FX700 has a grand soundstage in all directions. It has better depth than any IEM I've heard and width and height is right up there with the very best. FX700 also has something that only one other IEM, the Shure SE530 has to my ears and that is the huge dynamic range. The dynamics are flawless on FX700 and make music sound so relaxed its unbelievable.

I also disagree with your rating of this IEM, in particular how you rate it relative to the other IEMs. I don't think DBA-02 comes that close to FX700 for example. I think FX700 is in a different league SQ wise. I also don't think SM3 is better than FX700. Actually, I think that FX700 is in a different league from SM3 too because FX700 destroys SM3 in dynamics, soundstage and timbre IMO.

Of course we could say "That's OK, it's just a matter of personal preference." But what my ears are telling me right now as I am listening to the FX700 is that it is not a matter of preference - the dynamic driver in the FX700 coupled with the fine tuned wooden housing is simply better technically that what BA drivers are capable of. FX700 doesn't leave any chances for BAs in timbre soundstage and dynamics. Its wooden housing creates reverberations that BAs cannot due to their design and the vent at the back creates a sense of air, dynamic range and bass impact that BAs can only artificially mimic.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2,518 of 16,931
Thanks a lot, will check them all out. I'd also like something with really good isolation as I'll be using these when mowing the lawn.

Quote:

M3, CC51, PR401, Silver Bullets would pretty much be the usual suspects. None of them have as much bass or are as sibilant as the S4. If you really want balance than the RE0 but it seems like you aren't too sure yet.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2,519 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks a lot, will check them all out. I'd also like something with really good isolation as I'll be using these when mowing the lawn.

He has an isolation score for all of his reviewed IEMs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back