Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #976 of 16,931
I know prices are changing all the time, but there are two updates I particularly think should be taken note of. The Custom 3 can now be bought for $99 off of eBay from Adorama Camera, also, the HJE900 can be found for $80 from JR now. These are two massive price drops on two already great set of IEMs, it just sweetens the deal almost to the point of "you'd be foolish not to try it" territory.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #977 of 16,931
interesting to see that the Miles Davis appear to be a sort of hybrid of the Coppers and Gold's. They seem to be pulling a bit from both IEM's like the bass of the golds for instance. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #979 of 16,931
Yup, I feel that MDs seems to be a epitome of balance borned after Monster Cables researches the views and feedbacks from their Golds and Coppers which fundamentalizes the team's direction when they tried to engineer and create the Miles Davis, At Least thats what i think personally. Just my 2 cents of personal opinion =]

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #980 of 16,931
It's interesting how you rate q-jays above RE0 in sound quality. Could you provide a brief explanation of why you think q-jays sound better overall? I think RE0 actually has an edge over the q-jays technically when well amped. Q-jays also improve with amping but not as much.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #981 of 16,931

Quote:
 macrocheesiu,     take a look here - http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.27807000?WT.ac=sc|downloads||dd

Even better! Do you know if they have a multi-size set? I'd hate to waste $20 finding the right size.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #983 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi...
I'm looking to find an IEM to pair up with my blackberry, right now I'm using the sony ex-300...

I am almost about to jump the gun with the Head-direct RE-0 but looking at the 64ohm made me think again, so i think posting a question here is the wisest thing to do...

Joker mention that "the high impedance is deceiving" but I'm still not sure if this applies when pairing them up with blackberry...
It also made me think should I  just save up and go for the RE-ZERO which only use 16ohm, but with the price tag $110 in ebay... Not too great...

Anyone has experience pairing re-0/zero with blackberry?
or does anyone has experience pairing an IEM with blackberry... My budget is around $90...

Cheers everybody...

Not sure about the blackberry but my Nokia E63 does okay with the RE0 - not great but not unusable, either. At least the impedance helps cut down on the terrible hiss. If you're tempted to go for something more efficient the Ety MC5 might do the trick - they're efficient enough to work fine but yet not so sensitive that they will reveal a bucketload of hiss. If you want something with controls the Maximo iP-HS5 is worth a look assuming you're after a more balanced sound.

Quote:
I know prices are changing all the time, but there are two updates I particularly think should be taken note of. The Custom 3 can now be bought for $99 off of eBay from Adorama Camera, also, the HJE900 can be found for $80 from JR now. These are two massive price drops on two already great set of IEMs, it just sweetens the deal almost to the point of "you'd be foolish not to try it" territory.

Yeah, fair point. I won't be able to move them to the proper price tiers though but I can definitely update the price (and maybe the value scores)

Quote:
It's interesting how you rate q-jays above RE0 in sound quality. Could you provide a brief explanation of why you think q-jays sound better overall? I think RE0 actually has an edge over the q-jays technically when well amped. Q-jays also improve with amping but not as much.

Well, I feel that the q-JAYS have an edge in some areas. Even when amped, for example, the RE0 simply doesn't have the bass emphasis to put out as much detail and texture at the low end as the q-JAYS can. Both sound a little dry and terse and the RE0 has a slight edge in smoothness and treble microdetail IMO but sounds a bit leaner than the q-JAYS do. RE0 also sounds more neutral, almost desaturated in tone, while the q-JAYS are just colored enough to be enjoyable. Obviously YMMV as it depends on what you value most. I can see how it's a toss-up in technical proficiency but I feel that the q-JAYS have the edge for the average listener.

Quote:
This review thread is quite possibly the best thing on the entire interwebs.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #984 of 16,931

Thank you JOKER...

Last question... If i go for the RE-ZERO is that a wise choice..? cause MC5 is about $10 away from RE-ZERO and both are 16ohm... if the RE-ZERO has better sound quality I'd prefer to save up...

cheers...

Quote:
Quote:
Hi...
I'm looking to find an IEM to pair up with my blackberry, right now I'm using the sony ex-300...

I am almost about to jump the gun with the Head-direct RE-0 but looking at the 64ohm made me think again, so i think posting a question here is the wisest thing to do...

Joker mention that "the high impedance is deceiving" but I'm still not sure if this applies when pairing them up with blackberry...
It also made me think should I  just save up and go for the RE-ZERO which only use 16ohm, but with the price tag $110 in ebay... Not too great...

or does anyone has experience pairing an IEM with blackberry... My budget is around $90...

Cheers everybody...

Not sure about the blackberry but my Nokia E63 does okay with the RE0 - not great but not unusable, either. At least the impedance helps cut down on the terrible hiss. If you're tempted to go for something more efficient the Ety MC5 might do the trick - they're efficient enough to work fine but yet not so sensitive that they will reveal a bucketload of hiss. If you want something with controls the Maximo iP-HS5 is worth a look assuming you're after a more balanced sound.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #985 of 16,931

Quote:

Even better! Do you know if they have a multi-size set? I'd hate to waste $20 finding the right size.

Not that I know of... but you can always call and ask them.

However as you can guess they are pretty standard, and I can confirm that
    i.e. medium is the tip size I use for my IEMs, thus I got medium from these and
    they fit perfectly.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #986 of 16,931
Quote:
Last question... If i go for the RE-ZERO is that a wise choice..? cause MC5 is about $10 away from RE-ZERO and both are 16ohm... if the RE-ZERO has better sound quality I'd prefer to save up...

If you can live with the adapter and maximum isolation is not a priority, yes. Personally I prefer the RE-ZERO to the MC5, albeit not by a huge margin.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #988 of 16,931
Looking forward to your LiL Jamz Review, though JamZ sounds different from LiL JamZ as i have heard from others but Normal JamZ are pretty bang-for-bucks even though i sold them to tide my thin wallet from buying the MD =)

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #990 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi...

Cheers everybody...

I use both a Blackberry 8310 (Curve) and iPod Classic as my sources, and find that the BB is very slightly less warm/bassy than the iPod, so it sounds better with a warmer IEM. Power-wise, the volume adjustment is identical between the two for the same cuts (about 60% with my signature IEMs).

I'd suggest the Thinksound TS02+mic as a good pairing with the BB if you can stretch you budget $10 or so (from the reviews I've read here - no personal experience). You'd have the phone capabilities with that IEM, and the pushbutton remote is much more convenient than the BB play/pause/forward/reverse controls. BTW, my NuForce NE-7M are 12 ohm, and they worked fine with the BB.

I love the Fischer DBA-02 with either source, and the RE-ZERO has been described as similar in signature to the DBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back