Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 21, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #16,771 of 16,931
  can anyone compare fiio ex1 and hifiman re400 please?

The Titan 1 is both brighter and bassier, resulting in a more v-shaped sound signature and more colored tone. RE-400 is a little mid-centric in comparison but is overall more neutral, as well as smoother and more forgiving through the upper midrange and treble. The Titan 1 tends to be clearer and more dynamic, and has a wider, airier presentation.

From my research, I found the UE900 has really bad build quality. So, It's off the list. Can anyone here confirm that or care to common.

Here is what I like to add to my collection in the future. I've not have the change to listen to any of them. What are you guys opinions on those below.

I like all kinds of music, from classical to rap, metal.

Klipsch Image X10
MEE audio Pinnacle P1
RHA MA750i
VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition
Etymotic Research ER4S

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.

My advice: spend some time with your first purchase (the SE215) so you can get a solid understanding of your likes and dislikes. It'll be much easier to choose a set once you have a data point for IEM sound with your SE215. It also helps to listen to other mid-high end sets every chance you get so that you can hone in on your "ideal" sound (or multiple preferred sound signatures for each genres/purpose, if that's the case).

Of course if you just want to try different things, you can put a collection together from a list but I tend to think it's better to build it up piece by piece. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #16,772 of 16,931

can anyone compare fiio ex1 and hifiman re400 please?

[COLOR=4D4D4D]The Titan 1 is both brighter and bassier, resulting in a more v-shaped sound signature and more colored tone. RE-400 is a little mid-centric in comparison but is overall more neutral, as well as smoother and more forgiving through the upper midrange and treble. The Titan 1 tends to be clearer and more dynamic, and has a wider, airier presentation.[/COLOR]

From my research, I found the UE900 has really bad build quality. So, It's off the list. Can anyone here confirm that or care to common.

Here is what I like to add to my collection in the future. I've not have the change to listen to any of them. What are you guys opinions on those below.

I like all kinds of music, from classical to rap, metal.

Klipsch Image X10

MEE audio Pinnacle P1

RHA MA750i

VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition

Etymotic Research ER4S

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.

My advice: spend some time with your first purchase (the SE215) so you can get a solid understanding of your likes and dislikes. It'll be much easier to choose a set once you have a data point for IEM sound with your SE215. It also helps to listen to other mid-high end sets every chance you get so that you can hone in on your "ideal" sound (or multiple preferred sound signatures for each genres/purpose, if that's the case).

Of course if you just want to try different things, you can put a collection together from a list but I tend to think it's better to build it up piece by piece. 

I like bass and mids. I have the m100, hd600, x2, thx00, he500 as my full size headphones. I just brought a RHA MA750i from ebay.

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #16,773 of 16,931
Searching for a cheap pair of IEM w mic. I have a good pair but don't want to abuse them travelling or whatever plus the cable is short. Sub $30 probably but can be $5, I don't care. Not being picky at this price point but if there is one with a good amount of bass that is not all torn up that might be best.
Difficult to search for 'with mic' so sorry for this.
Also, could use a cheap extension for my other IEMs. Any input appreciated. I am lazy about this one.

Cheers

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #16,775 of 16,931
Hi joker -- I believe you've proposed the AF180 and SD-2 as viable upgrades from the RE-400, but can you give me a comparison or pro/con between the two in that context?

I tried to jump "up" from the RE-400 a while ago, but ended up going back to it (had to solder a new jack) after trying a few different IEMs, RE-600 included. Just really loved the mids/vocals -- how they're a bit warm and forward -- along with high-end detail and lack of sibilance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If it matters, I'm running an Oppo HA-2SE.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #16,778 of 16,931
Does anyone have any recommendations for iem's around $50 cad? My Vsonic VSD3S just died and im looking to get something around the same SQ. Also i really would like them to have an around the ear design. I am currently thinking maybe the Meeaduio M6Pro?

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #16,779 of 16,931
  Searching for a cheap pair of IEM w mic. I have a good pair but don't want to abuse them travelling or whatever plus the cable is short. Sub $30 probably but can be $5, I don't care. Not being picky at this price point but if there is one with a good amount of bass that is not all torn up that might be best.
Difficult to search for 'with mic' so sorry for this.
Also, could use a cheap extension for my other IEMs. Any input appreciated. I am lazy about this one.

Cheers

Philips SHE3595. Plenty of bass, and the sound quality will probably surprise you (in a good way) for the $15 price.

Hi joker -- I believe you've proposed the AF180 and SD-2 as viable upgrades from the RE-400, but can you give me a comparison or pro/con between the two in that context?

I tried to jump "up" from the RE-400 a while ago, but ended up going back to it (had to solder a new jack) after trying a few different IEMs, RE-600 included. Just really loved the mids/vocals -- how they're a bit warm and forward -- along with high-end detail and lack of sibilance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If it matters, I'm running an Oppo HA-2SE.

AF180 and SD-2 will both be less similar to the RE-400 than the RE-600 is, so if you're not open to changing up the sound tuning a bit I probably wouldn't bother.

AF180 doesn't have a mid-forward sound and is a little more energetic in the upper treble than HiFiMan sets tend to be.

SD-2 is more mid-centric, but also a little on the darker side of things while also not really having a smoothness advantage over the RE-400 as you may expect. If you're going to try the SD-2 you might as well consider the Audio-Technica IM02 - its tuning is very similar to SD-2 but it's much less expensive. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for iem's around $50 cad? My Vsonic VSD3S just died and im looking to get something around the same SQ. Also i really would like them to have an around the ear design. I am currently thinking maybe the Meeaduio M6Pro?

The best match would probably be another VSonic, very hard to beat them in that price range for that type of sound AND with an over-the-ear cord routing among what I've tried (which does not include M6 PRO). 

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #16,780 of 16,931

I've tried the M6 Pro and they sound great for the price. Comfort & the included accessories are great as well (2 detachable cables, lots of tips, etc). They are not basshead IEM's though, if anything they can be considered bright. If you don't mind that, I say go for it. However, I've never tried the VSD3S so not sure what your preferred sound signature is.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #16,781 of 16,931
I've tried the M6 Pro and they sound great for the price. Comfort & the included accessories are great as well (2 detachable cables, lots of tips, etc). They are not basshead IEM's though, if anything they can be considered bright. If you don't mind that, I say go for it. However, I've never tried the VSD3S so not sure what your preferred sound signature is.
I usually go for a warmer sound cuz I listen to r&b most of the time

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #16,782 of 16,931
Philips SHE3595. Plenty of bass, and the sound quality will probably surprise you (in a good way) for the $15 price.

AF180 and SD-2 will both be less similar to the RE-400 than the RE-600 is, so if you're not open to changing up the sound tuning a bit I probably wouldn't bother.

AF180 doesn't have a mid-forward sound and is a little more energetic in the upper treble than HiFiMan sets tend to be.

SD-2 is more mid-centric, but also a little on the darker side of things while also not really having a smoothness advantage over the RE-400 as you may expect. If you're going to try the SD-2 you might as well consider the Audio-Technica IM02 - its tuning is very similar to SD-2 but it's much less expensive. 

The best match would probably be another VSonic, very hard to beat them in that price range for that type of sound AND with an over-the-ear cord routing among what I've tried (which does not include M6 PRO). 
would you have a recommendation on something more durable? The strain relief was the thing that failed on my vsonics so I'm not too sure I would want to buy them again

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #16,785 of 16,931
I usually go for a warmer sound cuz I listen to r&b most of the time
would you have a recommendation on something more durable? The strain relief was the thing that failed on my vsonics so I'm not too sure I would want to buy them again

FYI Just saw a mention that the VSD3S is $30 on massdrop atm.

zero Audio Carbo Tenore is a warmish inear, word is the build quality isn't great (didn't have them long enough to tell). Can wear them behind the ear but they don't have memory wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back