Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 8, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #16,696 of 16,931
I work in a noisy factory type office area.  Lots of machinery going all day.  Can wear iems (not headphones as need to wear glasses due to vdu work).  Anything better than the shure 215's at the moment for isolation and cable over ear wear?  Had a pair way back when but they were part of the faulty batch at the start so got a refund on moved on.  In the uk so would prefer amazon or amp3.  Listen mainly to rock and audiobooks out of a ipod touch gen 3 64gig (yes I know, not allowed cameras so that rules out the 6th gen sadly).  Budget up to £300.  I've actually got a pair of Empire Ear's supras in custom form, but they are having to go back for a refit hence the request.  Was looking at the shures as a budget pair to tide me over and just wondered if there was anything newer, better for similar money?

Thanks

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #16,698 of 16,931
  @davidcotton: Etymotic ER4 (sr or xr depending on your listening preference) provides exceptional isolation and solid SQ. The cable can be adapted for over-the-ear.

Cheers... Brian

Thanks, not entirely keen on that level of "ear rape" as it's been called though.  I do need to be somewhat aware of what's going on (particularly as I am half blind on one side, always fun that one with iems on and someone comes up to talk to me when standing on the right!).

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #16,699 of 16,931
  Hello |joker|!

I'm looking at my first CIEM, around ~$500. I've fallen in love with the clarity of my Brainwavz B2's, but also the fun of my Vsonic GR07's. Ergo, I value clarity across the spectrum with a mild v-shape for a bit of excitement. Reading through your CIEM reviews, it seems like Alclair Reference ticks many of these boxes. Would you have any other recommendations I should consider (willing to up my budget if it's worth it!)?

Yep, the Alclair Reference is by far the best match for the GR07 among the reasonably affordable custom IEMs I've tried. Clarity isn't its focus like it is with the B2, but it's no slouch when it comes down to it.

As for upgrades, unfortunately 1964 discontinued the V6-Stage so the next tier with that sound signature among what I've heard now starts at $900 or so - a much more sizable investment. 

I work in a noisy factory type office area.  Lots of machinery going all day.  Can wear iems (not headphones as need to wear glasses due to vdu work).  Anything better than the shure 215's at the moment for isolation and cable over ear wear?  Had a pair way back when but they were part of the faulty batch at the start so got a refund on moved on.  In the uk so would prefer amazon or amp3.  Listen mainly to rock and audiobooks out of a ipod touch gen 3 64gig (yes I know, not allowed cameras so that rules out the 6th gen sadly).  Budget up to £300.  I've actually got a pair of Empire Ear's supras in custom form, but they are having to go back for a refit hence the request.  Was looking at the shures as a budget pair to tide me over and just wondered if there was anything newer, better for similar money?

Thanks

Etymotic would have been my recommendation as well. Barring that, might as well just go with the SE215 again. Inexpensive, sturdy, and it seems like the isolation level fits your needs.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #16,700 of 16,931

Yep, the Alclair Reference is by far the best match for the GR07 among the reasonably affordable custom IEMs I've tried. Clarity isn't its focus like it is with the B2, but it's no slouch when it comes down to it.

As for upgrades, unfortunately 1964 discontinued the V6-Stage so the next tier with that sound signature among what I've heard now starts at $900 or so - a much more sizable investment. 

Thanks!

I've been speaking with AJ from Alclair and we started talking about the Spire, their new 6-driver.

Shot-in-the-dark:you haven't gotten a chance to listen to these, have you? They're supposedly a reference headphone with a bit of a bump in the low and high end, which sounds like what I'm looking for. They're $900 (as you mentioned :p), but i'm willing to save up if the phone is right. 

However, I've gotten my hands on a JH 13v2 demo, and it's making this decision even more complicated... (spoiler: it sounds fantastic!)

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #16,701 of 16,931
  Thanks!

I've been speaking with AJ from Alclair and we started talking about the Spire, their new 6-driver.

Shot-in-the-dark:you haven't gotten a chance to listen to these, have you? They're supposedly a reference headphone with a bit of a bump in the low and high end, which sounds like what I'm looking for. They're $900 (as you mentioned :p), but i'm willing to save up if the phone is right. 

However, I've gotten my hands on a JH 13v2 demo, and it's making this decision even more complicated... (spoiler: it sounds fantastic!)

I haven't tried them myself but I asked someone familiar with the Alclair lineup and the Spire is supposedly a more stage-oriented sound with extra bass compared to the Reference and the new Studio4.

Demos, while not perfect, are probably the safest way to decide on a custom earphone TBH. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #16,702 of 16,931

I haven't tried them myself but I asked someone familiar with the Alclair lineup and the Spire is supposedly a more stage-oriented sound with extra bass compared to the Reference and the new Studio4.

Demos, while not perfect, are probably the safest way to decide on a custom earphone TBH. 

I actually have a question about this.

These JH13 demos came with silicone and foam eartips. Changing these tips changes the sound pretty substantially. The foam tips tame the highs quite a bit and warm the signature up a bit, whereas the silicone make the highs a bit sibilant and takes some body away from the sound. I'm a little worried about how the actual sound will turn out when they're turned into CIEMs. I've been told by JH that it's more to do with the fit than anything, ergo, whatever tips fit best will be the most representative of the sound, but it's really hard to tell, as both types of tips seal fairly well IMO, though obviously the foam ones conform a bit more to the inside of my ear.

Do you have any insights on this conundrum? 

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #16,703 of 16,931
Hey to the great people of HeadFi. 
My trusty gym/on the go Beyerdynamic DTX102 decided to breakdown after 2 years just week before I'm leaving for a longer trip.
I actually very much enjoyed the DTX102 vshaped sound signature for the use I had them. It seems like the DX120 DX160 don't follow on the DTX102/101 footsteps there. 

So anybody here have a suggestion for a IEM under 80 euros I could get in my hands in a weeks time here in Northern Europe with similar sound signature to DTX102? I've done my research here, but anything hasn't jump on me. Especially from my usual IEM brands of Denon, Beyerdynamic and Sony. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #16,704 of 16,931
  I actually have a question about this.

These JH13 demos came with silicone and foam eartips. Changing these tips changes the sound pretty substantially. The foam tips tame the highs quite a bit and warm the signature up a bit, whereas the silicone make the highs a bit sibilant and takes some body away from the sound. I'm a little worried about how the actual sound will turn out when they're turned into CIEMs. I've been told by JH that it's more to do with the fit than anything, ergo, whatever tips fit best will be the most representative of the sound, but it's really hard to tell, as both types of tips seal fairly well IMO, though obviously the foam ones conform a bit more to the inside of my ear.

Do you have any insights on this conundrum? 

In my experience custom earphone demos give you x% similarity to the real (custom-fit) thing (where x is different for every manufacturer/model), but still generally differ more than the what you can normally make up by tip rolling.

As far as I'm concerned JH Audio's answer is true in the sense that whatever differences you hear between different tips, as long as they seal well, are still negligible in the context of a custom demo.

Hope that makes sense, I know it's not a very helpful answer. 

Hey to the great people of HeadFi. 
My trusty gym/on the go Beyerdynamic DTX102 decided to breakdown after 2 years just week before I'm leaving for a longer trip.
I actually very much enjoyed the DTX102 vshaped sound signature for the use I had them. It seems like the DX120 DX160 don't follow on the DTX102/101 footsteps there. 

So anybody here have a suggestion for a IEM under 80 euros I could get in my hands in a weeks time here in Northern Europe with similar sound signature to DTX102? I've done my research here, but anything hasn't jump on me. Especially from my usual IEM brands of Denon, Beyerdynamic and Sony. 

If ordering online/importing is an option, the Alpha & Delta AD01 is a very strong contender among v-shaped IEMs in that price range. The JVC HA-FXT90 is another.

If you prefer to stick with a product that is available globally, the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear is a good one.

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #16,705 of 16,931
Thank you very much for the suggestions! Alpha & Delta AD01 especially looks mighty interesting, but I can't take the risk of importing them to EU with the time constraint I'm in.
Actually decided to buy new pair of DTX 102 that I know I can get by Friday.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #16,707 of 16,931
Hello all,

I need advice for an IEM as below -

1) Usage - Desk (Laptop) and Active use (along with my Sansa clip + Note 3 for a run / gym);

2) Preferable Fit - something which loops behind the ear;

3) Music Genre - Old school Trance and EDM (Paul van Dyk etc.); Occasional Rock (U2, Linkin Park, Metallica, etc..); Instrumental Soundtracks (Hans Zimmer and so on...) so pretty much anything except hip hop beats or the occasional Rap song

4) Sounds like? - Well, I have had the Brainwavz M2 earlier. They have been AWESOME but now the wires are frayed and I need a Mic + volume remote for android as well.
So I would love something which although sounds accurate but still has a better than average (maybe a bit boomy?) bass.

I also have the Piston 3 but honestly they suck when compared to the M2.

Also, I ordered the "sennheiser-ocx-686g-sports" a couple of weeks back but had to return as they were only scoring in bass but with terrible lows and a harsh / sharp treble!
(sorry if my audio knowledge is limited, tried to be as clear as I could!)

4) Budget - Max $100 (preferably under!)

5) Android - So remote with volume and Mic are needed.

Now on the forum, I have been suggested the below by some helpful folks -
  • MEE M6 PRO (great but mixed reviews here on head-fi)
  • Tennmak pros (thanks @toddy0191)

Although I haven't come across any actual reviews on Tennmak as the  M6s' (amazon.com ones are all paid!!), still the Tennmak seems like a good enough deal.

(I am in India, I have my brother coming from USA in a couple of weeks' time; would appreciate any quick replies so I can order and get them shipped in time (both the above choices are on Amazon).

Anyways, I just wanted to get some quick advise (/ encouragement!) and run this though before pulling the trigger!

Many Thanks!
Chetan

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #16,708 of 16,931
  Hello all,

I need advice for an IEM as below -

1) Usage - Desk (Laptop) and Active use (along with my Sansa clip + Note 3 for a run / gym);

2) Preferable Fit - something which loops behind the ear;

3) Music Genre - Old school Trance and EDM (Paul van Dyk etc.); Occasional Rock (U2, Linkin Park, Metallica, etc..); Instrumental Soundtracks (Hans Zimmer and so on...) so pretty much anything except hip hop beats or the occasional Rap song

4) Sounds like? - Well, I have had the Brainwavz M2 earlier. They have been AWESOME but now the wires are frayed and I need a Mic + volume remote for android as well.
So I would love something which although sounds accurate but still has a better than average (maybe a bit boomy?) bass.

I also have the Piston 3 but honestly they suck when compared to the M2.

Also, I ordered the "sennheiser-ocx-686g-sports" a couple of weeks back but had to return as they were only scoring in bass but with terrible lows and a harsh / sharp treble!
(sorry if my audio knowledge is limited, tried to be as clear as I could!)

4) Budget - Max $100 (preferably under!)

5) Android - So remote with volume and Mic are needed.

Now on the forum, I have been suggested the below by some helpful folks -
  • MEE M6 PRO (great but mixed reviews here on head-fi)
  • Tennmak pros (thanks @toddy0191)

Although I haven't come across any actual reviews on Tennmak as the  M6s' (amazon.com ones are all paid!!), still the Tennmak seems like a good enough deal.

(I am in India, I have my brother coming from USA in a couple of weeks' time; would appreciate any quick replies so I can order and get them shipped in time (both the above choices are on Amazon).

Anyways, I just wanted to get some quick advise (/ encouragement!) and run this though before pulling the trigger!

Many Thanks!
Chetan

AAW Nebula One seems to match all of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back