Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 22, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #16,726 of 16,931
Got my bets on a Pm4 by trinity audio. Maybe I can give a comparison on top my head when I do get mine. A used Flc8s might get you those except in my experience with its seal, bass quantity was rather underwhelming...

FLC8 was my thought as well but specifically for these three criteria it's hard to call it a DN-2000 upgrade. It can be a little more balanced than the DN-2000 which helps even out the soundstage, but then you also don't get the sub-bass of the DUNU.

Pretty much everything else I have in that price range is a step down from the DN-2000 in one or more of the criteria. 

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #16,729 of 16,931
Hi @ljokerl !

First, I'm amazed that this is still alive. You're superhuman! A huge thank you for continuing to help the community! 
beerchug.gif

I have long been a fan of Hifiman IEMs, and took your advice a couple times in the past when looking for new IEMs. Well, after years of using them I'm finally at a point where the build quality issues have trumped sound quality. I'm ready to look at other brands, and would appreciate your help.

For background, I have owned the RE0, RE-ZERO, RE-262, and RE-400. Everything but the RE-262s have failed on me. If I were to rank their sound, it would be: RE-400 >>> RE-ZERO > RE0 > RE-262

I did try the VSonic GR2s a few years ago, and didn't like the sibilance or the extra bass in comparison to the RE-400. The R-50s seem to be discontinued and I've been out of the loop on new product offerings in the last 2 years.

Any recommendations on something in the $100-$200 range that sounds similar to RE-400/RE-ZERO and has better durability? Also, any good BAs to consider or should I stick to dynamic drivers in my search?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #16,731 of 16,931
Please recommend an MMCX enabled IEM that can withstand workouts.

I can't speak to it but I believe the Trinity Atlas is designed for sport and has MMCX connectors.

Does MMCX work well for your workouts? I always worry I sweat too much for removable cables, unless it were something like the Q-Jays threaded SMMCX connectors or the old sony EX connectors.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #16,732 of 16,931
  Hi @ljokerl !

First, I'm amazed that this is still alive. You're superhuman! A huge thank you for continuing to help the community! 
beerchug.gif

I have long been a fan of Hifiman IEMs, and took your advice a couple times in the past when looking for new IEMs. Well, after years of using them I'm finally at a point where the build quality issues have trumped sound quality. I'm ready to look at other brands, and would appreciate your help.

For background, I have owned the RE0, RE-ZERO, RE-262, and RE-400. Everything but the RE-262s have failed on me. If I were to rank their sound, it would be: RE-400 >>> RE-ZERO > RE0 > RE-262

I did try the VSonic GR2s a few years ago, and didn't like the sibilance or the extra bass in comparison to the RE-400. The R-50s seem to be discontinued and I've been out of the loop on new product offerings in the last 2 years.

Any recommendations on something in the $100-$200 range that sounds similar to RE-400/RE-ZERO and has better durability? Also, any good BAs to consider or should I stick to dynamic drivers in my search?

Thanks!

Aurisonics Rockets are great for this but they're disappearing from the market. If you can find a used set around $200, that would be your best bet.

Both BAs and dynamics from other brands are rarely tuned to sound like HiFiMan IEMs, but I don't have anything against BAs generally speaking. As a side note, keep in mind that different HiFiMan IEMs are still going to sound more similar to each other than they will to other sets.

Anyway, the BA IEMs that arguably work best here are also long discontinued (TDK BA200s). Your closest current alternative out of what I've tried under $200 is the ATH-IM02. But I still think the Rockets are a better match - they manage to better capture the delicate, somewhat mid-centric, smooth-but-not-overly-dull sound that makes HiFiMan IEMs so special. 

Please recommend an MMCX enabled IEM that can withstand workouts.

Shure SE215 has a good reputation for this but it's not designed specifically for sports like the Trinity Atlas and the Westone Adventure Series Alpha. I haven't tried the Atlas though, and I don't think the Westone Alpha sounds very good. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #16,733 of 16,931
I haven't heard the HiFiman IEM but if you think Rockets suit that situation, Zero Audio Doppio might be an ok BA substitute in the $100-200 range, though it's a bit brighter than the rockets & not as pleasing presentation as the IM02 IIRC (also depending on tips used a fair bit). I have read the Singolo is a bit warmer/closer to the Tenore... but again not sure how that stacks against hifiman directly. actually nvm, didn't notice the part about durability... not bad build but not super confident in it either.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #16,735 of 16,931
  I'm listening to this conversation as I always regretted not grabbing some of the Rockets while they were available...

My understanding is that Fender is planning to bring them back virtually unchanged, so you might still be able to try them out. At least, that was the word in the Aurisonics thread around the time to acquisition was announced. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #16,736 of 16,931

Aurisonics Rockets are great for this but they're disappearing from the market. If you can find a used set around $200, that would be your best bet.

Both BAs and dynamics from other brands are rarely tuned to sound like HiFiMan IEMs, but I don't have anything against BAs generally speaking. As a side note, keep in mind that different HiFiMan IEMs are still going to sound more similar to each other than they will to other sets.

Anyway, the BA IEMs that arguably work best here are also long discontinued (TDK BA200s). Your closest current alternative out of what I've tried under $200 is the ATH-IM02. But I still think the Rockets are a better match - they manage to better capture the delicate, somewhat mid-centric, smooth-but-not-overly-dull sound that makes HiFiMan IEMs so special. 

I was afraid you'd say that. Caved and ordered another (my third) pair of RE-400s for now while I look for a good pair of Rockets. My first pair lasted nearly three years, so I definitely lucked out and for $79 I figured they might be worth another shot.

Damn you Hifiman, why do your products sound so damn good but break even after babying them???

I also noticed that the RE-0s have been re-released as RE-00. Did you get a chance to hear them? Any thoughts on how they compare to the IMO very analytical originals?

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #16,737 of 16,931
Hey Joker, I posted this on your website on the Xiaomi Hybrid Earphones review page, but I'm posting it here too now. (It's become a bit time sensitive -- long story):

So…since you haven’t published the full review of the 1More Triple Driver yet, but you mention it is this review, I will ask you this here: how does the 1More Triple Driver stack up to the Dunu DN-1000? I need a replacement for the latter model earphone, but it looks like supply on online stores is drying up. Any thoughts?

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #16,738 of 16,931
Hi Heaf-Fi, 

Long-time lurker - I dip in when every few years when I need to replace my IEM's. 

Will keep this short - I need your help!

I have been a long, long fanboy of the Fischer Audio Consonances IEM, and it was actually how I came about finding Head-Fi. I must have gone through about 4/5 pairs since 2010/11 having found them so 'fun' to listen to. They generally held up well (had a couple nicked), but loved their range and heavy bass throb.  

My most recent pair have now given in the left channel, and unfortunately they seem a rare item now. I think it's time to try something new. In what's an increasingly saturated market, could someone please point me to something that they can attest to sounding similar, and ideally for a similar amount (<$50). My tastes vary, but range from IDM, rock, to jazz/bop. 

I've tried the KZ HDS1, which are decent but comparatively a bit lacking. Also have KZ ED10's en route via the long boat from China, praying these will do the job. Sadly the old Fischer Audio thread has dried up a bit, so it's why I'm hopeful someone might be able to point me in the right direction. 

Grateful to anyone that can help. Thanks!

*Mods, please feel free to move this post to a more relevant thread if necessary. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #16,740 of 16,931
Guys..

Just got the Tenmak PRO shipped from China, blown away!

They are awesome! Great bass, great build and great fit :) Thanks for all those who suggested it!

Only Gripe... no volume buttons.. so a question... would this work?

Let me know please!

Thanks,
Ckhurana

I really, really enjoy the Tennmak Pro. As for the cable, I think it would work if the connections match. Worth a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back