Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 29, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #16,336 of 16,931
  I'm currently looking for a replacement for my RE-400, which unfortunately has given up on me. As I always wear them over-the-ear, the wire near the strain relief broke off. Of course it had to be because of that poorly designed stain relief.

From your list, it seems that the Brainwavz B2 and Rockit R-50 are some of the IEMs which offer the most bang-for-buck in terms of sound. However, the build quality on these two seems questionable. Any chance that there is a universal IEM with a similar sound but better build quality and removable cables, without doubling the price? 

I'm also eyeing the Aurisonics Rocket with its tank-like build (though no removable cables). My concern though is Aurisonic's sound sig, which from what I've read is really "dark". Would you put it along the likes of the HD650 (which I really liked)? Or something even darker?

The Audio-Technica ATH-IM02 is a balanced-sounding BA earphone with detachable cables. Not double the price of a B2/R-50, either. It has a pretty flat sound more akin to the B2/R-50 (or better yet, the Audio-Technica CK90PRO) than to the RE-400.

The Aurisonics Rockets are more similar to the RE-400. They really don't sound dark to me, but they have very smooth and slightly laid-back treble and relatively forward mids. The HD650 sounds warmer in comparison - the Rockets really aren't very warm, just somewhat mid-focused and smoothed-out in the treble. 

hey joker any plans to do the fidue a73?

Yes, eventually. I already have a pair but it's currently over at InnerFidelity for measurements.

hi, joker. i am looking for an upgrade in ciem. i have experienced the custom advantage through a reshell and want to try a product designed to be custom. from the your reviews the 1964 v6 stage and the miracle should be quite similar in sound signature, yet having a 350 difference in price. i might as well spend that 300 on a better player(i am buying a new one anyway). with the um site down for such a long time and the increase in price to 1049, would it be better to consider the jh13 instead? or just be happy with v6s? thanks

They're slightly different in sound presentation, with the V6-Stage being more laid-back and quite well-balanced like the Miracle, and the JH Audios being more aggressive and forward. If you're interested in the Miracle it certainly makes more sense to save $350 and go with the V6-Stage than spend the extra cash on the JH13. 

I'm sending back my RHA MA750i for repair, but thinking of selling the replacement once it arrives, and picking up something with a different sound signature.

I feel like the 750 is pretty warm and quite V-shaped, and I'd be willing to give up the relaxed sound and the bass in favour of something more neutral. My desktop headphones are the Sennheiser HD 600, and that's currently my favourite sound. So what's the IEM equivelant?

The Etymotic HF5 seems quite appealing - seems like the sound I'm looking for, apparently has legendary isolation (a big plus for me), can have custom eartips made for it, and is fairly comparable in price to the 750i. I do enjoy the build quality, warranty, and customer service of RHA, so another pair feels like a nice option, but I've heard varying reports about the T20 (and the T10 doesn't sound like my cup of tea). Some say that it's very neutral, others say that it's a natural upgrade from the 750, which I would not consider to be very neutral.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on the above?

The T20 is just not a neutral earphone. It's way more neutral than the T10, which is a good start, but it has fairly heavy bass and somewhat emphasized highs (less so on the +Bass setting, but then you get even more bass). I do agree that it's a nice upgrade to the MA750, but in terms of overall balance it can't touch the HF5. Plus, Etymotic customer service is nothing to frown at either - they've always done right by me. 

Keep in mind that a BA IEM like the HF5 won't sound as smooth and full-bodied as the HD600, but as long as you go into it with an open mind I think you'll enjoy it. The HD600 is one of my all-time favorite full-size headphones and I've always liked the BA-based Etymotics, so there's a good chance you'll like them too. You do have lots of other options in the current market, but Etys are worth experiencing. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #16,337 of 16,931
HI Joker,

thnx for all the work man. Can you maybe help me out with choosing a new iem pls? I already have several nice ones but i would like to have an upgrade to my Fischer Audio Consonance. I really like the full and thick sound of those for edm music.
I already have the following iems:

Pistons 2 and 3
Sony MHC1
Ha Fx101
EPH 100
and the FA Consonance offcourse

I thought the eph100 would be a nice upgrade but i have fitting problems with those...I have tried lots of tips, but i cant get a good seal..iems with big nozzles are a no go for me because of my small ear canal i think. Could you please sugest a good upgrade for the consonance?
Specially something with a nice full and thick sound with good bass extension for edm music.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #16,338 of 16,931
  I'm also eyeing the Aurisonics Rocket with its tank-like build (though no removable cables). My concern though is Aurisonic's sound sig, which from what I've read is really "dark". Would you put it along the likes of the HD650 (which I really liked)? Or something even darker?

The Aurisonics Rockets are more similar to the RE-400. They really don't sound dark to me, but they have very smooth and slightly laid-back treble and relatively forward mids. The HD650 sounds warmer in comparison - the Rockets really aren't very warm, just somewhat mid-focused and smoothed-out in the treble.

I agree on the Rockets being slightly mid-focused, but not particularly warm or dark.

As for an IEM equivalent of the HD650, I recently heard the Radius HP-NHR21 which I quite liked, and they somewhat reminded me of the Senns.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #16,339 of 16,931
X2, the Rockets are pretty straight laced and not really warm nor cold. It is the exception to the warmer Aurisonic house signature.

Maybe the Radius TWF would make a good Senn-like options, perhaps the TWF31. Not too dark or warm and yet balanced with a piezo in there for the highs??

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #16,340 of 16,931
  HI Joker,

thnx for all the work man. Can you maybe help me out with choosing a new iem pls? I already have several nice ones but i would like to have an upgrade to my Fischer Audio Consonance. I really like the full and thick sound of those for edm music.
I already have the following iems:

Pistons 2 and 3
Sony MHC1
Ha Fx101
EPH 100
and the FA Consonance offcourse

I thought the eph100 would be a nice upgrade but i have fitting problems with those...I have tried lots of tips, but i cant get a good seal..iems with big nozzles are a no go for me because of my small ear canal i think. Could you please sugest a good upgrade for the consonance?
Specially something with a nice full and thick sound with good bass extension for edm music.

Hmm... more conventional form factor than EPH-100 with a sound somewhat like the thick and dark-ish consonance but better overall quality. That's a tough one but what comes to mind is the Alpha & Delta AD01. It's not a bass monster by any means and doesn't match the Fischer's sound sig that well, but it'll fit nicely in with what you have and is the best upgrade to the Consonance I can think of with a conventional form factor. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #16,341 of 16,931

The Audio-Technica ATH-IM02 is a balanced-sounding BA earphone with detachable cables. Not double the price of a B2/R-50, either. It has a pretty flat sound more akin to the B2/R-50 (or better yet, the Audio-Technica CK90PRO) than to the RE-400.

Yes, eventually. I already have a pair but it's currently over at InnerFidelity for measurements.

They're slightly different in sound presentation, with the V6-Stage being more laid-back and quite well-balanced like the Miracle, and the JH Audios being more aggressive and forward. If you're interested in the Miracle it certainly makes more sense to save $350 and go with the V6-Stage than spend the extra cash on the JH13. 

The T20 is just not a neutral earphone. It's way more neutral than the T10, which is a good start, but it has fairly heavy bass and somewhat emphasized highs (less so on the +Bass setting, but then you get even more bass). I do agree that it's a nice upgrade to the MA750, but in terms of overall balance it can't touch the HF5. Plus, Etymotic customer service is nothing to frown at either - they've always done right by me. 

Keep in mind that a BA IEM like the HF5 won't sound as smooth and full-bodied as the HD600, but as long as you go into it with an open mind I think you'll enjoy it. The HD600 is one of my all-time favorite full-size headphones and I've always liked the BA-based Etymotics, so there's a good chance you'll like them too. You do have lots of other options in the current market, but Etys are worth experiencing. 

Awesome, thanks. Sounds like the T20 would be nice, but not what I'm looking for right now if they are close to the MA750's sound signature, rather than being balanced. It seems like RHA are doing a lot right but still not managing to cater to people wanting a nice balanced IEM. Maybe the T30 :wink:

I will definitely pick up the HF5 then. Sounds like a 'must listen' pair. I've not had a BA earphone before, though I would never expect an IEM to sound as good in every regard as the HD 600. When you say that a BA IEM won't sound as smooth and full-bodied, are you using that to talk about any IEM, or saying that dynamics (or perhaps multiple-armatures?) would be a better option in that regard? I thought most high-end IEMs used BA drivers but I might be remembering wrong there.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #16,342 of 16,931

how you find it compared to the CK10?

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #16,343 of 16,931
  Awesome, thanks. Sounds like the T20 would be nice, but not what I'm looking for right now if they are close to the MA750's sound signature, rather than being balanced. It seems like RHA are doing a lot right but still not managing to cater to people wanting a nice balanced IEM. Maybe the T30 :wink:

I will definitely pick up the HF5 then. Sounds like a 'must listen' pair. I've not had a BA earphone before, though I would never expect an IEM to sound as good in every regard as the HD 600. When you say that a BA IEM won't sound as smooth and full-bodied, are you using that to talk about any IEM, or saying that dynamics (or perhaps multiple-armatures?) would be a better option in that regard? I thought most high-end IEMs used BA drivers but I might be remembering wrong there.

I actually meant specifically single armature IEMs like the HF5. It's a generalization with exceptions like most, and do keep in mind there are pros and cons to having a leaner or thicker presentation, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

how you find it compared to the CK10?

Very balanced but darker/not as bright and a little thicker than the CK10. It's more similar to the CK90PRO of the same generation than the CK10.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #16,345 of 16,931

I actually meant specifically single armature IEMs like the HF5. It's a generalization with exceptions like most, and do keep in mind there are pros and cons to having a leaner or thicker presentation, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Very balanced but darker/not as bright and a little thicker than the CK10. It's more similar to the CK90PRO of the same generation than the CK10.

Ah okay, I think that was going to be my best guess for what you meant :p

Well, it certainly sounds like they're worth trying at the price. Sadly, they don't seem to be sold in many places in the UK. etymoticdirect.co.uk lists them as out of stock (I'd rather get the straight HF5 than the HF2, which is in stock) but I e-mailed them to ask if they have an ETA. Otherwise, it looks like I'd have to pay a signficant amount more, or get them shipped from Japan 
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #16,346 of 16,931

X2, the Rockets are pretty straight laced and not really warm nor cold. It is the exception to the warmer Aurisonic house signature.

Maybe the Radius TWF would make a good Senn-like options, perhaps the TWF31. Not too dark or warm and yet balanced with a piezo in there for the highs??

Dammit, just checked the retail price of IM-02s here in our country and was surprised that it's priced at ~$350 USD. For reference, the Aurisonics Rockets and Kicker are locally priced at US $260, B2 at US $140, RE-600 at US $230 and RE-400 at US $95. It seems AT sets are steeply priced here.

At $350, I might as well get a Sony XBA-A3 a Dunu DN-2000 (though they are more of "fun" sounding). Would you agree?

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #16,348 of 16,931

do you think the im-02 is slightly coloured with female vocals sound better. male voices sound younger and some of its details gets smoothed over. or it may be just my unit not burned in?

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #16,349 of 16,931

Dammit, just checked the retail price of IM-02s here in our country and was surprised that it's priced at ~$350 USD. For reference, the Aurisonics Rockets and Kicker are locally priced at US $260, B2 at US $140, RE-600 at US $230 and RE-400 at US $95. It seems AT sets are steeply priced here.

At $350, I might as well get a Sony XBA-A3 a Dunu DN-2000 (though they are more of "fun" sounding). Would you agree?

Get the Sony A2 because the A3 might have too much bass and not enough balance. The A2 is the more balanced one and Shenzen audio sells them for $190 shipped worldwide if that is an option. http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/sony-xba-a2-hi-res-hybrid-3-way-driver-system-stereo-audio-earphone.html

Or maybe the latest XBA for closer to the IM and B2...http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-xba-300ap-balanced-armature-in-ear-headphones-black.html

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #16,350 of 16,931

Get the Sony A2 because the A3 might have too much bass and not enough balance. The A2 is the more balanced one and Shenzen audio sells them for $190 shipped worldwide if that is an option. http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/sony-xba-a2-hi-res-hybrid-3-way-driver-system-stereo-audio-earphone.html

Or maybe the latest XBA for closer to the IM and B2...http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-xba-300ap-balanced-armature-in-ear-headphones-black.html

That is not true. A2 has significantly more bass and a warmer sound compared to the A3. None of the sony iems are particularly well balanced in terms of neutrality IMO, but people are saying the new XBA 300 has reduced the bass presence of A3 while retaining the very good mids and highs so that might be a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back