Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #16,157 of 16,931

Oh yeah why didn't I think of that. I've heard that it can get really "sharp sounding" and screechy (sorry for my lack of audiophile terms), and I mainly listen to classical. Do you think this might be a problem?

Absolutely no. They aren't stretchy if you get a good fit and match with a warm source. Classical is one of the main purposes of ER4-PT  And I don't think they will be more sharp in treble than your DBA-02. 
wink.gif

I strongly recommend using Shure Olive tips with them.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #16,159 of 16,931

Absolutely no. They aren't stretchy if you get a good fit and match with a warm source. Classical is one of the main purposes of ER4-PT  And I don't think they will be more sharp in treble than your DBA-02. 
wink.gif

I strongly recommend using Shure Olive tips with them.

One thing, whats the difference between the ER4-S and PT? It seems to only be the tuning, but for me the ER4 S are around $20 cheaper.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #16,160 of 16,931

One thing, whats the difference between the ER4-S and PT? It seems to only be the tuning, but for me the ER4 S are around $20 cheaper.

PT comes with a ER-4S converter, its not tuning not any thing, its just the impedance that is different. With PT you get a 4S for just $20 more.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #16,161 of 16,931
I have the FRD60 and FXT90 and the FXH30 is a welcome improvement over both of those. Can't speak for the FRD80

The Elations sound like a great buy. I picked up the FR202 recently. Build quality is pretty blah compared to the older 201, but JVC did a great job of cleaning up their over abundant treble.

Actually, that seems to be something JVC has done a good job of with all the current gen products of theirs I've tried.

Right, that definitely agrees with my experience with the XX Elation compared to the old FR301, FX1X, FX101.

Guys I'm in the market for a new IEM, but for me there aren't really any good balanced armature earphones. I came from a DBA-02 and I can't seem to find any similar ones, because the dealbreaker for me is that I have to wear them straight down, and half of all earphones in the world must be worn over-ear. I don't know why I don't really like dynamic.

Any ideas? I was looking at the Fischer Audio TBA-04 and the Sony XBA 40's. The TBA-04's don't seem to be available in a lot of places.

GG.

It's too bad all of the TWFKs from that generation seem to be gone - all of the DBA-02 clones, the VSonic VC1000, UE700, Phiaton PS200, etc etc. With that in mind the Etymotic ER4 would've been my recommendation as well. There's also the new q-jays, which still use a TWFK as far as I know and look really great. Unfortunately I haven't tried them and they are very pricey.

Oh yeah why didn't I think of that. I've heard that it can get really "sharp sounding" and screechy (sorry for my lack of audiophile terms), and I mainly listen to classical. Do you think this might be a problem?

As ozkan said this is not something to worry about coming from the DBA-02 as long as you're getting a good seal.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #16,162 of 16,931

It's too bad all of the TWFKs from that generation seem to be gone - all of the DBA-02 clones, the VSonic VC1000, UE700, Phiaton PS200, etc etc. With that in mind the Etymotic ER4 would've been my recommendation as well. There's also the new q-jays, which still use a TWFK as far as I know and look really great. Unfortunately I haven't tried them and they are very pricey.

I searched up the Q-Jays and found a decent used deal on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/q-jays-In-Ear-only-Headphones-Black-/391230730725?hash=item5b172b31e5

What do you think? Should I jump on these?

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #16,163 of 16,931

I searched up the Q-Jays and found a decent used deal on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/q-jays-In-Ear-only-Headphones-Black-/391230730725?hash=item5b172b31e5

His reputaion seems very good. No negative feedbacks yet. So you can buy imo.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #16,164 of 16,931
Hi ljokerl - As you previously mentioned, the EPH-100 has a larger nozzle which may be a consideration for those with smaller ear canals. I potentially have smaller ear canals as my ATH-IM50s become uncomfortable after a period of time. In that case, would you say go with the X10/X11?

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #16,165 of 16,931

In the absence of new TWFK IEMs on the market it's a good deal. I would only do it if you're very careful with your IEMs, though, since you'll have no warranty.

Hi ljokerl - As you previously mentioned, the EPH-100 has a larger nozzle which may be a consideration for those with smaller ear canals. I potentially have smaller ear canals as my ATH-IM50s become uncomfortable after a period of time. In that case, would you say go with the X10/X11?

Yes, the X10/X11 (and Klipsch's "oval gel" tips) are perfect for small ear canals. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #16,166 of 16,931
Joker hopefully you can help point me in the right direction please.

I need an IEM for when I'm at the golf course practicing

Under $100, but would prefer cheaper the better

Must have:
Fabric Cable - I wear down my back under shirt and regular cables stick when I'm sweaty (I had fabric cables on a prior set and they worked magic)

Wish list:
Slightly longer cable if it's possible
Better than average isolation
Slightly smaller, perhaps deep fit - my right ear is a bitch to get thing to stay in, even Comply tips are awkward with shallow insert models
Something you consider on the durable side
Straight connector

Sound:
Fun
Bassier - more towards a V (but I do crave a warm quality sound)
Nothing that too bright/sibilant 
On the bigger side sound stage
Nothing that will overly expose any really poor recordings
Can wear for hours on end

This will be played straight off my Sansa Fuze  (small, light and fits in pants pocket). 

I recently tried JVC XX 202's and man those were fun but maybe a little over the top in bass, treble was actually pleasant. The housings on these were huge and really hurt after a while.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #16,167 of 16,931
  Joker hopefully you can help point me in the right direction please.

I need an IEM for when I'm at the golf course practicing

Under $100, but would prefer cheaper the better

Must have:
Fabric Cable - I wear down my back under shirt and regular cables stick when I'm sweaty (I had fabric cables on a prior set and they worked magic)

Wish list:
Slightly longer cable if it's possible
Better than average isolation
Slightly smaller, perhaps deep fit - my right ear is a bitch to get thing to stay in, even Comply tips are awkward with shallow insert models
Something you consider on the durable side
Straight connector

Sound:
Fun
Bassier - more towards a V (but I do crave a warm quality sound)
Nothing that too bright/sibilant 
On the bigger side sound stage
Nothing that will overly expose any really poor recordings
Can wear for hours on end

This will be played straight off my Sansa Fuze  (small, light and fits in pants pocket). 

I recently tried JVC XX 202's and man those were fun but maybe a little over the top in bass, treble was actually pleasant. The housings on these were huge and really hurt after a while.

Sorry, I don't have many fabric-corded earphones, and most of the ones I do have don't sound very good. Case in point, the only earphone in my current queue with fabric cords is the House of Marley Smile Jamaica, which won't be getting a full review. So the pickings are going to be very slim by the time you get around to even considering sound quality. The few I can think of that at the very least have enhanced bass and decent construction:

RHA MA350 - Good overall value and sound quality for the price; odd shape of the housings may not work for you; least smooth-sounding of the three
Paradigm Shift E3m - earpieces are light and not too big, but have some sharp edges; mediocre sound
NHT SuperBuds - very bass-heavy (but also very smooth) sound and very large housings; angled plug

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #16,168 of 16,931
  Guys I'm in the market for a new IEM, but for me there aren't really any good balanced armature earphones. I came from a DBA-02 and I can't seem to find any similar ones, because the dealbreaker for me is that I have to wear them straight down, and half of all earphones in the world must be worn over-ear. I don't know why I don't really like dynamic.

It's too bad all of the TWFKs from that generation seem to be gone - all of the DBA-02 clones, the VSonic VC1000, UE700, Phiaton PS200, etc etc. 

@Sesameopen: I still have UE700s in a drawer somewhere that don't get any use. PM me if you want them, I'll send them to you for free (I may not have the tips any more though).

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #16,169 of 16,931

@Sesameopen: I still have UE700s in a drawer somewhere that don't get any use. PM me if you want them, I'll send them to you for free (I may not have the tips any more though).

Me me!!
biggrin.gif
I too want it if for free!!! I will pay shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back