Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 5, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #16,127 of 16,931
Just a note to say that AMP3 in the uk are giving away fidue a31 with each order over £100.00.  Which is kinda nice of them.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #16,128 of 16,931
  Just a note to say that AMP3 in the uk are giving away fidue a31 with each order over £100.00.  Which is kinda nice of them.

No better price than free, and these are actually much more useful than your average budget IEM because you can sleep in them (and there's a mic/remote as well).

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #16,129 of 16,931
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #16,132 of 16,931
Hello folks thanks for your suggestions. I'm going with the Dunu DN-2000J, as per experienced users it seems very refined / detailed / punchy and is straight-housing.

Looking forward to your impressions. They're excellent IEMs, yet going by your e-Q5 review and posted preferences, I personally wouldn't have recommended them in your case.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #16,133 of 16,931
  ey mr. ljokerl, it has been a while since I have read some stuff here, so sorry if others dudes already asked for it...
Any plans for the Vsonic VSD5?

Yes, definitely. In the fall. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #16,136 of 16,931
@ljokerl, After reading your Ultimate Ears SF5EB review, I have bought a used one off ebay and is enjoying them tremendously, especially the clarity and the punchy bass, thanks you. I prefer it over all the other bassy IEMs I have (Hippo VB, Wooduo, XB90EX etc).  Can you please recommend any other newer IEMs (sub $200) with very similar SQ which can replace this? Is NHT superbuds a good choice?

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #16,137 of 16,931
  @ljokerl, After reading your Ultimate Ears SF5EB review, I have bought a used one off ebay and is enjoying them tremendously, especially the clarity and the punchy bass, thanks you. I prefer it over all the other bassy IEMs I have (Hippo VB, Wooduo, XB90EX etc).  Can you please recommend any other newer IEMs (sub $200) with very similar SQ which can replace this? Is NHT superbuds a good choice?

I'm afraid I haven't heard anything quite like the SF5EB. The NHT SuperBuds are much more "conventionally" bassy, meaning they have a warm, thick, somewhat muddy sound outside of the bass range a-la Beats Tour 2.0 IEMs. I suppose it would take a hybrid, but the hybrids I've tried aren't tuned for as much bass. The closest would be the Sony XBA-Z5, but that's well over $200.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #16,138 of 16,931

I'm afraid I haven't heard anything quite like the SF5EB. The NHT SuperBuds are much more "conventionally" bassy, meaning they have a warm, thick, somewhat muddy sound outside of the bass range a-la Beats Tour 2.0 IEMs. I suppose it would take a hybrid, but the hybrids I've tried aren't tuned for as much bass. The closest would be the Sony XBA-Z5, but that's well over $200.

Thanks ljokerl ...

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #16,139 of 16,931
Hi joker,

I'm looking for something pretty specific, and hoping you might have a recommendation. I've been browsing the thread for hours now but I'm still not sure what iem to get!

I'm trying to find some headphones with that fit these criteria:
Warm sound signature, smooth treble (bassy but not V shaped).
Small housing.
Over ear design (meant to be worn with cable around ears).
Cable that doesn't tangle too badly.
Good isolation.

Basically the form factor of the Audio Technica CK10, or as close to that as possible, but with a warmer, more "fun" sound signature.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #16,140 of 16,931
Hi joker,

I'm looking for something pretty specific, and hoping you might have a recommendation. I've been browsing the thread for hours now but I'm still not sure what iem to get!

I'm trying to find some headphones with that fit these criteria:
Warm sound signature, smooth treble (bassy but not V shaped).
Small housing.
Over ear design (meant to be worn with cable around ears).
Cable that doesn't tangle too badly.
Good isolation.

Basically the form factor of the Audio Technica CK10, or as close to that as possible, but with a warmer, more "fun" sound signature.

Not sure which price range you're aiming for, but based on the CK10 comparison I am guessing mid- or top-tier. For example the Fidue A31s (the latest set added to this thread) has pretty much the exact CK10 form factor with a warm and very smooth sound signature and fits the rest of your requirements very well. However, it's a fairly inexpensive mid-tier IEM and has appropriate performance.

If you're looking at higher performance tiers, a bit of compromise will be needed. For example, the Yamaha EPH-100 sounds much better and is very compact, but the fit is fairly different from the CK10 (wide nozzle, which holds the driver and allows the housing to be compact) and the cable is just a normal cable. The Klipsch X10/X11, while not shaped specifically for over-the-ear fit, can also be viable option. Smooth, bassy, very comfortable, good isolation, and so forth.

Can't think of anything with the appropriate sound signature but on a higher performance level and with the CK10 form factor. For example a Sony XBA-H3 has the right sound, but the form factor couldn't be more wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back