Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #15,976 of 16,931

Hi, I have exactly the same issue as MrGuzmanWhite. I have had the pleasure to use the ER4 for many years, had them customised with silicone and I would love to find a CIEM that is superior, both in clarity and adding perhaps a touch of bass. I see all these fancy IEM coming in the market with more and more driver every year and I don't have a chance to try them. I am wondering: can they beat my ER4 legendary clarity? Or shall i stick to this great classic despite its flaws (cable noise when I am moving, odd shape, average confort).
Do you have now a different opinion after the recent arrival of new CIEM on the market?  
Noble 4S? 
Unique Melody Miracle?
Hidition New Tears-6 Pro?
Spiral Ear SE 5?
all IEMs that i will never have a chance to try: it is too complicate. And that is what makes this quest so difficult.
thank you so much for your feedback on this.

Well, that's the thing - it's hard to find an ety replacement without going a bit in another direction. Clarity-wise the er4 is top notch, so an improvement on that means going for boosted treble to simulate better clarity with a brighter sound. A more prominent low end than the er4's will also affect the clarity.
Newer high-end stuff can give you more pros over the er4 than just clarity though - like better dynamics, layering, more natural and versatile sound, more realistic note thickness etc. Personally, I like the Noble 4 better but it gives up some clarity in comparison to the er4s in exchange for a smoother and a bit warmer and more organic take on analytical sound.
But if you like the ety and clarity is your main priority you might just stick to it.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #15,977 of 16,931
  Well, that's the thing - it's hard to find an ety replacement without going a bit in another direction. Clarity-wise the er4 is top notch, so an improvement on that means going for boosted treble to simulate better clarity with a brighter sound. A more prominent low end than the er4's will also affect the clarity.
Newer high-end stuff can give you more pros over the er4 than just clarity though - like better dynamics, layering, more natural and versatile sound, more realistic note thickness etc. Personally, I like the Noble 4 better but it gives up some clarity in comparison to the er4s in exchange for a smoother and a bit warmer and more organic take on analytical sound.
But if you like the ety and clarity is your main priority you might just stick to it.

That's true, I wonder what if ETY comes with a DUAL BA earphone!!! ER-8 series micro, i will pat $500 for it. With out bothering about any feedback or any word from anyone, i just simply wont care for what others are saying and will jump on an ETY ER-8p.
rolleyes.gif
etysmile.gif

Once a ETY fan, everything else feels lacking something (Universals, not customs).

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #15,978 of 16,931

Hi, I have exactly the same issue as MrGuzmanWhite. I have had the pleasure to use the ER4 for many years, had them customised with silicone and I would love to find a CIEM that is superior, both in clarity and adding perhaps a touch of bass. I see all these fancy IEM coming in the market with more and more driver every year and I don't have a chance to try them. I am wondering: can they beat my ER4 legendary clarity? Or shall i stick to this great classic despite its flaws (cable noise when I am moving, odd shape, average confort).
Do you have now a different opinion after the recent arrival of new CIEM on the market?  
Noble 4S? 
Unique Melody Miracle?
Spiral Ear SE 5?
all IEMs that i will never have a chance to try: it is too complicate. And that is what makes this quest so difficult.

Couldn't have said it better than kova4a - that has been my experience with the CIEMs you've listed (SE5 aside - haven't tried those) and others. Of course that's not to say you won't like one of them better than the ER4 overall. Just don't expect an ER4 sound signature with better clarity. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #15,979 of 16,931
Sorry for asking you guys this but for all Custom IEMs, there is "NO" tip attached to the earpiece canal right?  I know Universal IEM has these silicone, foam, gel tips that you have to attach to the earpiece.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #15,981 of 16,931

Noble 4S? 
Unique Melody Miracle?
Spiral Ear SE 5?

It surely doesn't have the same clarity but very close with more bass. I would suggest checking the new Ety MK5.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #15,984 of 16,931

Thanks Ozkan, I checked but the MK5 are a 1/5 of the price of the ER4. and from the same manufacturer. So unless Etymotic has gone mad, I can't see this as an upgrade to my ER4. 

Not an upgrade but a sidegrade I think. The treble extension would be better on ER4 and the bass would be better on MK5.
Only Hidition NT6 for $1200 would be an upgrade I guess.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #15,986 of 16,931
  Sorry for asking you guys this but for all Custom IEMs, there is "NO" tip attached to the earpiece canal right?  I know Universal IEM has these silicone, foam, gel tips that you have to attach to the earpiece.

That is correct.

Except for this one crazy prototype I saw once that let you remove the custom tip and put a universal one in its place. Can't remember whose crazy idea that was.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #15,987 of 16,931
OP, if i were to buy my first customs which ones would you recommend? I dont need to buy the absolutely cheapest, maybe up to 400-600 bucks, or a little more if the benefit is big enough. Obviously wouldnt mind if i can get something thats really good for less money.

there's a lot of ciems in the reviews and they mostly seem to get around the same scores. limes maybe? you scored them high. or is it worth going for more drivers?

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #15,988 of 16,931

Not an upgrade but a sidegrade I think. The treble extension would be better on ER4 and the bass would be better on MK5.
Only Hidition NT6 for $1200 would be an upgrade I guess.
biggrin.gif

Not detailed enough, bigger bass but but extension? nope, ER-4 is far better.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #15,990 of 16,931

Have you heard it?

Auditioned it briefly, Better than MC5 but can not be compared with ER-4 series micro. Sadly ER-4 is really flat and lacks excitement which MK5 is better at, has more impact for sure, but lacking some details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back