Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 15, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #15,646 of 16,931

Upgrade in what way? I.e. what are you looking to retain from the MA750, what are you looking to upgrade, and what are you willing to give up if necessary?

Upgrade the overall SQ (clarity, timbre, bass quality, soundstage) while retaining the same sound signature. Would like a bigger soundstage if possible. Willing to give up a very slight amount of bass if I have to.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #15,647 of 16,931
Thanks for this thread, great starting point!

I am currently looking for new IEMs and want to upgrade from my Sennheiser CX300ii.
Looking for a good amount of punchy bass, present mids/vocals and no hissing/screeching highs (unlike Beyer DT990 pro). A little stage would be nice as well.
I will mainly use the IEMs on the go, hence isolation and a comfortable fit are very important. Build quality and durability are too.

I listen to all music genres (rap to classic) and will also use them for movies and sports. Mainly music tough. Will be plugged mainly into my iphone and ipad.

Now, after going through the list of reviewed IMEs and willing to spend max. € 100, I came away researching the following models. All seem to have different flaws based on the reviews and posts I read:

- Brainwavez M2 (did´t do much research yet)
- Steel Series Pro (did´t do much research yet)
- Yamaha EPH-M100 (plastic, sound not impressive based on some reviews, maybe not a good value?)
- RHA MA750 (uncomfortable treble, not well suited for smaller ears)
- Beyer DTX 102 (bad build quality, cable noise)
- Sound Magic E10S (not very durable, cheaply built)

Since I can´t make my mind up which IME to get, could anybody please help me decide which ones would fit best based on my needs? If I should consider other models in the same price range I will gladly do that.

grateful for any comments.

thank you!!!

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #15,648 of 16,931
  Thanks for this thread, great starting point!

I am currently looking for new IEMs and want to upgrade from my Sennheiser CX300ii.
Looking for a good amount of punchy bass, present mids/vocals and no hissing/screeching highs (unlike Beyer DT990 pro). A little stage would be nice as well.
I will mainly use the IEMs on the go, hence isolation and a comfortable fit are very important. Build quality and durability are too.

I listen to all music genres (rap to classic) and will also use them for movies and sports. Mainly music tough. Will be plugged mainly into my iphone and ipad.

Now, after going through the list of reviewed IMEs and willing to spend max. € 100, I came away researching the following models. All seem to have different flaws based on the reviews and posts I read:

- Brainwavez M2 (did´t do much research yet)
- Steel Series Pro (did´t do much research yet)
- Yamaha EPH-M100 (plastic, sound not impressive based on some reviews, maybe not a good value?)
- RHA MA750 (uncomfortable treble, not well suited for smaller ears)
- Beyer DTX 102 (bad build quality, cable noise)
- Sound Magic E10S (not very durable, cheaply built)

Since I can´t make my mind up which IME to get, could anybody please help me decide which ones would fit best based on my needs? If I should consider other models in the same price range I will gladly do that.

grateful for any comments.

thank you!!!

IT is as complicated as you make it. Let me suggest you the S0, brainwavz S0, will suit you better. Cheap too. Nicely fits your bill.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #15,649 of 16,931
Guys, could you please help me out here?

between "DUNU DN-2000" / "Sony XBAH3" / "FIDUE A83" / "Audio Technica ATH-IM03" which one would you choose?
I listen to music only on the Streets, so comfort is very important, and then Isolation. (and All kind of genres)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot guys.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #15,650 of 16,931

between "DUNU DN-2000" / "Sony XBAH3" / "FIDUE A83" / "Audio Technica ATH-IM03" which one would you choose?
I listen to music only on the Streets, so comfort is very important, and then Isolation. (and All kind of genres)

Thanks a lot guys.

H3 is gonna be too big and annoying for street IMO

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #15,651 of 16,931

Thanks a lot guys.

Dn2k will do better, comfort is no problem, and isolation is good too. Others can have fit issues.

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #15,652 of 16,931
 IT is as complicated as you make it. Let me suggest you the S0, brainwavz S0, will suit you better. Cheap too. Nicely fits your bill.

Thanks, I will look into them. They are a lil hard to get tough in Europe.

Any other suggestions? I was also looking into IEMs that sound similar to the Sennheiser HD 598 since I really liked those for music. But all recommendations are out of my price range.

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #15,653 of 16,931
Joker, how would you compare the sound signature of the FLC 8 in its neutral setting, to the DUNU DN-2000? How do they compare SQ wise?
What are the differences in size, as i'm afraid that the DUNU are too large for a comfortable fit in my ear.

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #15,654 of 16,931
Upgrade in what way? I.e. what are you looking to retain from the MA750, what are you looking to upgrade, and what are you willing to give up if necessary?

Awesome, I've only tried them briefly but I thought they were quite nice as an upgrade to my Reference. Glad you like them! 

Joker, thanks it was The Headphone List that led me to Alclair. When I tried out the universal Reference and RSM, loved them both. The RSM really steps up the bass and soundstage, the center fill is excellent, along with imiging.

Cannot wait to hear Marc's new 8 driver unit!!! Thanks again!

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #15,657 of 16,931
Continental Europe, Germany to be specific
wink.gif
Can't get em off amazon. Anyways, I will research them and maybe import.

They ship to Germany for £4.76.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #15,659 of 16,931
Are there any others worth recommending?

I think you can try the hisoundaudio crystals too. I dont know if you can get these from where you are but worth considering. Why not VSD3? it can do good too. In your budget too. Cant say about durability though on these two, The reason i suggested the S0 was because of its build quality, SQ is good but build is awesome. These are good but those cables are not like S0. If you can take care of the cable these are good. I think Vsd3 has a okay cable. Crystals are slightly thinner.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #15,660 of 16,931

Upgrade the overall SQ (clarity, timbre, bass quality, soundstage) while retaining the same sound signature. Would like a bigger soundstage if possible. Willing to give up a very slight amount of bass if I have to.

Thanks

Hmm..  Fidue A83, maybe? It maintains some bass emphasis (not as much as the MA750 of course) and has impressive clarity and soundstage. Biggest difference would probably be in the upper midrange where the MA750 has more emphasis (the A83 has a little more emphasis higher up).

Thanks a lot guys.

Not sure about the IM03 but among the rest I'd choose the DN-2000. Better isolation and the most versatile sound. 

Joker, how would you compare the sound signature of the FLC 8 in its neutral setting, to the DUNU DN-2000? How do they compare SQ wise?
What are the differences in size, as i'm afraid that the DUNU are too large for a comfortable fit in my ear.

They're not too different - the FLC is on the same level in terms of performance, just not tuned quite the same. DN-2000 is a little more v-shaped.. has more bass depth and impact and a bit more combined upper mid + treble energy. FLC8 has more midrange presence/less recession. Reminds me a little more of an AudioFly AF180 with extra bass. 

It's difficult to compare the size to the DUNU because the shape is completely different, but the FLC is definitely lighter and for me very comfortable. It's more of an ergonomic form factor like a Shure or Westone unit, except with fatter nozzles that aren't angled. 

It is also technically possible to wear the FLC8 cable down, at least in my ears. Can't say the same for your average Shure or Westone. 

Joker, thanks it was The Headphone List that led me to Alclair. When I tried out the universal Reference and RSM, loved them both. The RSM really steps up the bass and soundstage, the center fill is excellent, along with imiging.

Cannot wait to hear Marc's new 8 driver unit!!! Thanks again!

I guess I skipped the full review of the RSM, but maybe I'll get to try the 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back