Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #15,466 of 16,931
I would be interested in an opinion of experienced members: why there are no iems that provide listening experience same as audio systems with subwoofer that are installed in cars?

And, what iems would be closest to that?

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #15,467 of 16,931
I would be interested in an opinion of experienced members: why there are no iems that provide listening experience same as audio systems with subwoofer that are installed in cars?

bass canons. ie80. they are sure to get you more than the sub bass you want... anyways, they should be the most audiophile ones. 

EDIT: there is a bassheads thread around, ask there. you can get pretty much a list of what has the bass like that. if you want audiophile quality, ie8/ie80 are the safest bet.

EDIT2:: @ljokerl : how do you compare the bass on k3003 to the bass on ie800. i mean, ie800 had visceral bass, more and more precise than i ever expected, the sound was almost perfect, just a little sibilant. would you still recommend k3003 as being better?..

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #15,468 of 16,931
i tested today... as far as iems go, i only got to tested ie800, as an expensive thing... it was very very sibilant and harsh. the treble was sounding all SSSSS i don't know why... it was powered from an x5 only. From chord hugo, the problem did not exist, and the sound was fuller. i am thinking if i should buy ie800 with chord hugo for an end game setup/.

Wow that's rather weird, I've got an x3 and it never creates sibilance on any of my IEMs/HPs.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #15,470 of 16,931
  Hi, hello joker, you really have things running here. But it is so much that after so much reading I have to ask :).

I am after my first IEM's, I do manly entertainment, and the reason for getting ones is for tablet and 3ds audio play. My budget gets around 30 dollars with a fair room for working it around. The main problem is that since I am in portugal, europe, I don't seem to get half of the brands you have on your reviews, so I'm kinda forced down on the most popular ones like, sony, philips, akg, senheiser, pioneer and stuff (with some exceptions on amazon uk).

My main cans are the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80ohm I think they are the perfect ones for my use and earings and I do love the isolation, it is something important to me, and my main focus is gaming and sound quality (more for the neutral sound but with that kick for entertainment).

So what do you (joker) or you guys can recommend?

I almost buy a philips she3590 and also looked at the akg k321, but I figured it would be first to ask here first.

Hope you or everyone can help me out.

Thank you all in advance :).

EDIT: I also care a lot about comfort and cables, giving preference to flat or braided ones.

$30 is not much of a budget and you haven't really laid out any sound quality requirements so I guess you can't really go wrong with the SHE3590. It doesn't have flat or braided cables but for how inexpensive it is I don't think you can hold that against it.

You mean a ton of bass? There's plenty of IEMs that provide that - the Beats by Dre Tour 2.0, for example, or the JVC HA-FR301.

EDIT2:: @ljokerl : how do you compare the bass on k3003 to the bass on ie800. i mean, ie800 had visceral bass, more and more precise than i ever expected, the sound was almost perfect, just a little sibilant. would you still recommend k3003 as being better?..

IMO the IE800 has noticeably more bass than the K3003 (which is not lacking in bass by any means, but just isn't as enhanced). 

As noted in my IE800 review (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-ie-800-dynamic-ear-monitor-page-2), I thought the treble of the K3003 was more natural.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #15,471 of 16,931

$30 is not much of a budget and you haven't really laid out any sound quality requirements so I guess you can't really go wrong with the SHE3590. It doesn't have flat or braided cables but for how inexpensive it is I don't think you can hold that against it.

Thank you so much for the info, I will certainly end up buying them then :). For my first IEM it seems ok enough, and as I have the dt 770 as main, this will be just for out of home portability.

But btw just for future reference (I might end up liking to much of the IEM's lol), what would be a good reasonably budget/IEM's for media/game playing? and what sound signature is best for that, in your opinion? (I saw your buying guide, but the sound signature is a bit new to me. I guess the dt770 are basshead but I don't feel like they are very bassy, they seem just to have the perfect amount of it for my uses. Also, I liked the nuforce 600x and brainwavz m1 but I just can get them for like 55$ each lol).

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #15,472 of 16,931
then i think that this is going to be the last question, @ljokerl is it worth to go for k3003 instead of ie800, if i already have ie8, and kind of enjoy the soundstage and clarity of ie8? i mean, i really wanted soundstage, and it is as you speak, ie800 seem to have a more narrow soundstage than ie8... i want to ask this straight, if i enjoyed ie800 something when i tested, but i kind of hated the tips should i just buy k3003, and use it with ie8 tips? [as far as i know they should have the same size for nozzle] [i really enjoy ie8 with double flange tips] 
i want to know your thoughts on this, and i am sorry for keeping bothering you, i know that you are a busy person, specially with your knowledge, but i really wanted to know an expert's opinion.

EDIT1: the ie800 had a too short cable, it was very hard to wear them over the ear; i listen to all generas, but mainly metal; i wear iems over the ear; 

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #15,473 of 16,931
  then i think that this is going to be the last question, @ljokerl is it worth to go for k3003 instead of ie800, if i already have ie8, and kind of enjoy the soundstage and clarity of ie8? i mean, i really wanted soundstage, and it is as you speak, ie800 seem to have a more narrow soundstage than ie8... i want to ask this straight, if i enjoyed ie800 something when i tested, but i kind of hated the tips should i just buy k3003, and use it with ie8 tips? [as far as i know they should have the same size for nozzle] [i really enjoy ie8 with double flange tips] 
i want to know your thoughts on this, and i am sorry for keeping bothering you, i know that you are a busy person, specially with your knowledge, but i really wanted to know an expert's opinion.

EDIT1: the ie800 had a too short cable, it was very hard to wear them over the ear; i listen to all generas, but mainly metal; i wear iems over the ear; 

dude , go and do the test drive between K3 and IE800 with that person from Bucharest who offered to help you - you are like a hamster trapped in an ever-spinning wheel for weeks now

go.try.them.both.

go.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #15,475 of 16,931

dude , go and do the test drive between K3 and IE800 with that person from Bucharest who offered to help you - you are like a hamster trapped in an ever-spinning wheel for weeks now

go.try.them.both.

go.

you ideea is not bad, but from my program it is not possible right now... if it will be possible, i will in the near future...

btw, i have taken another decision. i am going to buy SH k3003, ie800, and probably ultrasone iq, if i will fiind and be able to, because, you know, i love spending less, getting more.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #15,476 of 16,931
  Thank you so much for the info, I will certainly end up buying them then :). For my first IEM it seems ok enough, and as I have the dt 770 as main, this will be just for out of home portability.

But btw just for future reference (I might end up liking to much of the IEM's lol), what would be a good reasonably budget/IEM's for media/game playing? and what sound signature is best for that, in your opinion? (I saw your buying guide, but the sound signature is a bit new to me. I guess the dt770 are basshead but I don't feel like they are very bassy, they seem just to have the perfect amount of it for my uses. Also, I liked the nuforce 600x and brainwavz m1 but I just can get them for like 55$ each lol).

In the absence of specific sound sig requirements I would say a KC06 from Ostry would be a good one at ~$60. Very clear sound, bit of bass punch, good vocal intelligiblity and wide presentation. The NE-600X will give you lots of bass (great if you like bass-heavy earphones) but for $55 it's not really worth it. The M1 has a more mid-centric sig that's better-suited for music than other multimedia. 

You don't have the option of changing tips or lengthening the cable above the y-split for over-the-ear wear with the IE800. With the K3003 those things aren't a concern, and you can use some bi-flange tips. Not all tips will stay securely on the K3003 nozzle because it lacks a notch, but there's still quite a few options compared to the IE800.

I mean the whole listening experience and similar sound quality with subbwass, airy presentation, and I also need remote for iphone.
Any recommendations?

RHA T10i, maybe? I'm not a fan of having so much bass in an earphone that it affects other aspects of its performance, but it does have a remote and the presentation is decent.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #15,478 of 16,931
What would be a good IEM for movies? Good bass, clear dialog, comfortable. Budget about $30. Thanks. 

SteelSeries flux were low as $10 (originally $50 currently $43 on Amazon)over Christmas. Great bass, clear vocals, smooth treble that extends pretty well. Has a single button for play/pause/call/hang up and a mic.

6mm micro driver means housing is small, I can lay on my side while wearing these with no problems. Isolates really well too.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #15,479 of 16,931
SteelSeries flux were low as $10 (originally $50 currently $43 on Amazon)over Christmas. Great bass, clear vocals, smooth treble that extends pretty well. Has a single button for play/pause/call/hang up and a mic.

6mm micro driver means housing is small, I can lay on my side while wearing these with no problems. Isolates really well too.

Thanks. I forgot to say that I don't want/need a mic, volume control or anything else.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #15,480 of 16,931
About to take a plunge and get the Ostry KC06A. I was told they're a bit better built than the VSD3 and perhaps a bit better sounding? I'm more certain on a v shaped sound with a tad more warm in the vocals than the FXD80, hoping these will be my best bet, 

Just wanted to get another opinion before I hit the confirm button :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back