Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 5, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #15,496 of 16,931
Not sure what the UM1s sound like - don't have one. The SE215 is a good earphone but not super small. The Westone 10 (which I do have) is a lot more compact and comfortable, but I prefer the sound of the Shures.   

And would the re400 be better than the shures? I mean, about durability, that what concerns me the more...

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #15,497 of 16,931
And would the re400 be better than the shures? I mean, about durability, that what concerns me the more...

Waterline has durability issues, so dont count on it. If you want durability go for shures or ma-750.
You know re-400 has a different sig compared to se215 right?

Ooops, you are looking for small earphones. Try considering the golden crystals or the crystal.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #15,498 of 16,931
I ended up getting a pair of Fidue A83's and absolutely have no regrets whatsoever.

Well, I may end up getting another pair of IEM's with a mic and control to go with my iPhone. Not a big deal but it would be nice. Considered a primo8, but may want to get something budget minded for that type of setup. Senneheiser momentum IEM. Not amazing, but cheaper. Any other suggestions?

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #15,499 of 16,931
I ended up getting a pair of Fidue A83's and absolutely have no regrets whatsoever.

Well, I may end up getting another pair of IEM's with a mic and control to go with my iPhone. Not a big deal but it would be nice. Considered a primo8, but may want to get something budget minded for that type of setup. Senneheiser momentum IEM. Not amazing, but cheaper. Any other suggestions?

The Fidue A83 actually use Shure connectors, any aftermarket Shure cable will fit no problem.

Something like this with mic / control cable would work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-SHURE-SE535-SE425-SE315-215-/311127232040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4870a0ce28

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #15,500 of 16,931
That's good to know. I figured the connectors were standard in some way. Except the over ear design of the a83 is fairly unique right? The angle connectors and bendable wire around the ear? I wonder if some cables like that exist that are comparable quality to what came with them. The cable that came with the a83 looks really expensive. Haha.
It would be nice if they had an option to have an inline remote cable that is extra.

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #15,501 of 16,931
Waterline has durability issues, so dont count on it. If you want durability go for shures or ma-750.
You know re-400 has a different sig compared to se215 right?

Ooops, you are looking for small earphones. Try considering the golden crystals or the crystal.

Thanks for the suggestions, I can't seem to find them in US? I don't want to wait a month to get the iems... My DX50 is soon to arrive so I want them asap...

About the re400 that's what I was afraid of, too many people claiming build issues...

The brainwavz M1 would be a good choice? Some reviews says that the sound is similar to the re400...

I have the q701 so I want something similar sounding, with cheap iems limitations of course...

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #15,502 of 16,931
Thanks for the suggestions, I can't seem to find them in US? I don't want to wait a month to get the iems... My DX50 is soon to arrive so I want them asap...

About the re400 that's what I was afraid of, too many people claiming build issues...

The brainwavz M1 would be a good choice? Some reviews says that the sound is similar to the re400...

I have the q701 so I want something similar sounding, with cheap iems limitations of course...

Really?  M1 is not that detailed, similar signature but thats it. Why dont you try the Re-400, its not that bad, you just have to take care. You might like to consider the Gr07 too. And if you are on budget go for M1, its good.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #15,504 of 16,931

If you're looking for a contrast, the W40 or A83 would be better than the 535. They're all good earphones, so it really depends on what you're after. 

Thanks for the advice! I might just stick to the UE900s I have for now and use the money for other more immediate upgrades. If you have time to get into it, how do the W40 and A83 sound similar / different from the UE900s? I'm guessing the W40 will be 'bassier' in some way, and the A83 maybe more mid forward and warm? cheers! 

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #15,506 of 16,931
That's good to know. I figured the connectors were standard in some way. Except the over ear design of the a83 is fairly unique right? The angle connectors and bendable wire around the ear? I wonder if some cables like that exist that are comparable quality to what came with them. The cable that came with the a83 looks really expensive. Haha.
It would be nice if they had an option to have an inline remote cable that is extra.

Anything with memory wire will give you a similarly secure fit and some cables do have similar angled connectors, like these Shure ones: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M-K-EFS-Three-Button-Control/dp/B0043241X8 . You just need to use the cable cinch to keep the cord in place since it lacks memory wire. I'm sure there's more out there, too. 

Thanks for the advice! I might just stick to the UE900s I have for now and use the money for other more immediate upgrades. If you have time to get into it, how do the W40 and A83 sound similar / different from the UE900s? I'm guessing the W40 will be 'bassier' in some way, and the A83 maybe more mid forward and warm? cheers! 

W40 is not quite as clear, more mid-bassy, and also darker, but still pretty balanced overall (more so than the A83). The A83 has even more bass and a more v-shaped sound that's a bit less forgiving. It's more clear and spacious than the W40, though. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #15,507 of 16,931
ljokerl:a quick note/  I still refer back to your thread all the time, especially when I want to make a choice for an iem:  thanks again for all that you did and still do...you have saved me lots of time & money--all the best to you and yours-

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #15,508 of 16,931
ljokel:
amazing reviews and insights. Good grief that's a comprehensive list! I'm new to this site and higher end listening so you'll have to forgive some of my phraseology. Don't know if this the right place but wondering if you can help with advice on an iem. 
Looking for something warm, lush, forgiving...but relatively detailed, good separation without being harsh on treble. Also after a big soundstage, good 3D, imaging.  Are those aspects contradictory? Am I asking too much? Don't we all? :wink:
Not sure if the Fidue fits the bill. I have a few in ears (including Rockjaw Alpha Genus,  Soundmagic, RHA which i know are quite low end) and nothing quite hits the spot yet.  I've ordered the Havi B3 for the 'massive soundstage' aspect (tho I see you don't entirely agree with that) but not convinced it gets to the warmth/lush aspect, from what I've read. The Brainwavz R3 sounds in the warm/lush area especially for the price but is it good enough? Happy to pay for what i need - well up to £300 ($500) plus if worth it and it puts an end to the search. But would rather spend less if poss, obv. Earsonics SM64 or SM3 might do trick (?) but expensive...or Westone UM3X (bought a W30 but sent back). 
Your advice (or anyone else's) much appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #15,509 of 16,931
  ljokerl:a quick note/  I still refer back to your thread all the time, especially when I want to make a choice for an iem:  thanks again for all that you did and still do...you have saved me lots of time & money--all the best to you and yours-

Thanks, I appreciate that
beerchug.gif

ljokel:
amazing reviews and insights. Good grief that's a comprehensive list! I'm new to this site and higher end listening so you'll have to forgive some of my phraseology. Don't know if this the right place but wondering if you can help with advice on an iem. 
Looking for something warm, lush, forgiving...but relatively detailed, good separation without being harsh on treble. Also after a big soundstage, good 3D, imaging.  Are those aspects contradictory? Am I asking too much? Don't we all? :wink:
Not sure if the Fidue fits the bill. I have a few in ears (including Rockjaw Alpha Genus,  Soundmagic, RHA which i know are quite low end) and nothing quite hits the spot yet.  I've ordered the Havi B3 for the 'massive soundstage' aspect (tho I see you don't entirely agree with that) but not convinced it gets to the warmth/lush aspect, from what I've read. The Brainwavz R3 sounds in the warm/lush area especially for the price but is it good enough? Happy to pay for what i need - well up to £300 ($500) plus if worth it and it puts an end to the search. But would rather spend less if poss, obv. Earsonics SM64 or SM3 might do trick (?) but expensive...or Westone UM3X (bought a W30 but sent back). 
Your advice (or anyone else's) much appreciated. Thanks.

What you're asking for certainly exists, but there's also multiple variations on each of the things you want. For example, two earphones can both be described as be spacious and lush, but one may be extremely lush (thick, rich, whatever) and somewhat spacious, and the other may be very spacious and slightly warm. Both would fit your requirements as you've put them forth, but sound different from each other, and one may certainly appeal to you more than the other.

The Fidue is a pretty good one for what you want. I don't know if I would call it forgiving but it's not explicitly harsh, just has a good amount of treble energy. Likewise, it's a little on the warm side but I'm not sure it qualifies to be called "lush". The R3 is obviously a lot less spendy and it does make for a very good relatively balanced-sounding earphone with a warm-ish tilt, but it is not the most detailed earphone out there and not "lush" the way an SM3 or UM3X might be.

I guess three more that come to my mind are:

StageDiver SD-2 - one of the few balanced, high-end, smoother-sounding earphones with a slightly warm tilt. Might be a tad too neutral and not emphasized enough in the lows
EarSonics SM64 - has a dip in the upper midrange you may not expect and is not quite as full-bodied as the SM3 (which itself has other downsides), but otherwise quite good for what you want 
Sony XBA-H3 - slightly looser bass than the above sets, but also greater quantity. Smoother overall than the A83 and a little warmer as well, but still maintains the other qualities quite well. Seems like a solid choice to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back