Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #15,181 of 16,931
Don't f
Thanks for all of the replies, I definitely agree that the CKM500 has a harsh treble and definitely one of the reasons I want to change. They also seem to struggle with certain genres as well.

After checking out all the recommendations I just need to choose from the below now:

[COLOR=333333]JVC HA-FXT90[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Havi B3 Pro 1 + Topping NX1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]GR07[/COLOR]
ATH-IM70

[COLOR=333333]Again thanks for the advice, all of those comments on the comparison by Joker helped too![/COLOR]
don't forget about the the sidy/bgvp dgs 100 or fidue a71

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #15,182 of 16,931
  Thanks for all of the replies, I definitely agree that the CKM500 has a harsh treble and definitely one of the reasons I want to change. They also seem to struggle with certain genres as well.

After checking out all the recommendations I just need to choose from the below now:

JVC HA-FXT90
Havi B3 Pro 1 + Topping NX1
GR07
ATH-IM70

Again thanks for the advice, all of those comments on the comparison by Joker helped too!

If the treble was too harsh for you on the CKM500, I would probably stay away from the FXT90. It's superbly detailed, but I find it very harsh to listen to, and this is coming from someone who likes a bright treble. GR07 is a bit more tolerable, but it's still hot up top. I love it once I get used to it, but it can be rather harsh on first listen. The Havi can vary quite a bit as the drivers are almost always mismatched. This is probably what gives it its echoey, large soundstage. It's odd in that it's technically (that is to say measurably) very poor, but when you actually listen to it, it sounds pretty great. Some find it very smooth and others find it strident. The IM70 is smooth as silk up top so no worries there. It also has the best midrange of the group. Everything sounds natural and balanced with nothing being offensive. The bass may be too big for some, and I wanted a bit more in the treble, but for the price they're amazing value.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #15,183 of 16,931
Don't f
don't forget about the the sidy/bgvp dgs 100 or fidue a71

Thanks but I am going to narrow it down now :)

If the treble was too harsh for you on the CKM500, I would probably stay away from the FXT90. It's superbly detailed, but I find it very harsh to listen to, and this is coming from someone who likes a bright treble. GR07 is a bit more tolerable, but it's still hot up top. I love it once I get used to it, but it can be rather harsh on first listen. The Havi can vary quite a bit as the drivers are almost always mismatched. This is probably what gives it its echoey, large soundstage. It's odd in that it's technically (that is to say measurably) very poor, but when you actually listen to it, it sounds pretty great. Some find it very smooth and others find it strident. The IM70 is smooth as silk up top so no worries there. It also has the best midrange of the group. Everything sounds natural and balanced with nothing being offensive. The bass may be too big for some, and I wanted a bit more in the treble, but for the price they're amazing value.

I'll remove the FXT90, with the comments on the IM70 it is definitely sounding like the way to go. The IM70 wouldn't require the Topping NX1 would they to drive them just as good not amped? As otherwise I would have to settle with the Havis.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #15,184 of 16,931

I'll remove the FXT90, with the comments on the IM70 it is definitely sounding like the way to go. The IM70 wouldn't require the Topping NX1 would they to drive them just as good not amped? As otherwise I would have to settle with the Havis.
if I remember correctly don't the havi's have balance issues?

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #15,185 of 16,931

No you don't need an amp for the IM70's.

I've got the Havi's as well and must say that I do prefer them by a small margin over the IM70.

Given the fact that you don't need an amp for the IM70's and they've got more bass and in that way might be a better allrounder (comes down to preference) you might want to chose them for convince.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #15,186 of 16,931
if I remember correctly don't the havi's have balance issues?

From what I have read on here I did not see this mentioned, if anyone else has any further insight into this it would be great.
No you don't need an amp for the IM70's.

I've got the Havi's as well and must say that I do prefer them by a small margin over the IM70.

Given the fact that you don't need an amp for the IM70's and they've got more bass and in that way might be a better allrounder (comes down to preference) you might want to chose them for convince.

Thanks I thought that may be the case. I will just be using them with my RMBP and iPhone for the time being so IM70 as you say for convenience may be the better bet.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #15,187 of 16,931
+1 on IM70. A great value.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #15,188 of 16,931
Hey, |joker|, do you have any suggestions for an IEM around $100 or less with an inline mic and a relatively balanced sound?  My friend is looking to buy one to use with his iphone.  I thought about the Senn Momentum iem but it seems to be too bassy.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #15,189 of 16,931
Hey, |joker|, do you have any suggestions for an IEM around $100 or less with an inline mic and a relatively balanced sound?  My friend is looking to buy one to use with his iphone.  I thought about the Senn Momentum iem but it seems to be too bassy.

Logitech UE600vi. :rolleyes:

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #15,190 of 16,931
From what I have read on here I did not see this mentioned, if anyone else has any further insight into this it would be great.

Thanks I thought that may be the case. I will just be using them with my RMBP and iPhone for the time being so IM70 as you say for convenience may be the better bet.

Actually IM70 and Havi B3 have different sound signatures. I find vocals more natural, full and a bit forward on IM70. On the other hand, Havi has more extention on bass and treble. If vocals are your priority, you should better go for IM70. For accoustics and classics I would choose Havi over IM70 anytime.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #15,191 of 16,931
Actually IM70 and Havi B3 have different sound signatures. I find vocals more natural, full and a bit forward on IM70. On the other hand, Havi has more extention on bass and treble. If vocals are your priority, you should better go for IM70. For accoustics and classics I would choose Havi over IM70 anytime.

Just when I think I have decided! :)

I listen to classical a lot and the likes of Rodrigo y Gabriela. I also love my vocals however especially Coeur de Pirate so this is quite a difficult call to make.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #15,192 of 16,931

Just when I think I have decided! :)

I listen to classical a lot and the likes of Rodrigo y Gabriela. I also love my vocals however especially Coeur de Pirate so this is quite a difficult call to make.

I actually think the IM70 does classical quite well for being a warmer, mid-forward IEM. Also has great sense of depth and height. The soundstage overall isn't as wide as the B3, but it does have a nice 3D presentation and, in my opinion, a more cohesive image. My B3 in particular was very unbalanced in the mid range and while the sense of space was superb, it didn't come across as very natural sounding with acoustic instruments. If it helps, this is the kind of thing that I absolutely love with the IM70. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #15,193 of 16,931
Thanks that helps a lot. Still close between the two but at least it is down to two now and I just need to think which genre I want to have the edge.

Appreciate all the feedback everyone has given, feel like I have a better understanding of IEMs now as well.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #15,194 of 16,931
Thanks that helps a lot. Still close between the two but at least it is down to two now and I just need to think which genre I want to have the edge.

Appreciate all the feedback everyone has given, feel like I have a better understanding of IEMs now as well.

I'll mess everything up for you saying that I find the B3's more natural and having better depth :wink:

They're both very good IEM's though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back