Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 9, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #14,915 of 16,931
  I'm looking for Mid-centric IEM for around 50 USD. Anything better in terms of build and sound quality than the Fidue A63?

Audio Technica IM50.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #14,916 of 16,931
Hi Joker. Firstly i would like to say what an amazing job you did reviewing all those products. i'm looking to upgrade from my Gr07, and right now I'm stuck between either ther LUF-4 or the Noble 4(Universal). Which one would you pick over the 2? Also have you heard of the Fischer Amps FA4-XB? I've read some really promising stuff and they're quad BA as well. What would your recommendation be?

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #14,917 of 16,931

I'm looking for Mid-centric IEM for around 50 USD. Anything better in terms of build and sound quality than the Fidue A63?

I'll second the IM50. I don't know how it is against the Fidue, but it's on par with the VSD3S. VSD3S has better separation, but it's rather recessed in the midrange. Also, the Ostry KC06 is a nice, clear, mid-forward IEM. It goes for around $60, but you may be able to find it a bit cheaper. If you need more bass and a warmer tone, I'd go IM50. If you like it less warm and bassy, I'd try the Ostry.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #14,918 of 16,931
  What do you do with all the spare IEMs you have around?

hi, what do you recommend for the best upgrade of yamaha eph-100?

That's a tough one... with its particular signature (deep bass, warm tone, minor midrange recession, and fairly smooth up top) AND better all-around performance there's nothing I can think of except some customs - the Westone ES5 and Heir 8.A come to mind - and even those tend to have a little less bass overall. If you're okay with taking a cut somewhere - for example in bass quantity - and not expect an all-around upgrade there are other options. The Sony XBA-H3, for instance - it doesn't really have a clarity advantage on the EPH-100 but is an upgrade soundstaging and treble quality. 

Got your hands on any Aurisonics products mate?

I tried the original (mk1) ASG-1 but the performance wasn't great. Never managed to get my hands on an updated version or the ASG-2. 

The Ostry KC06 that ZapX629 mentioned is what comes to mind for sound (but not necessarily build). It has a brighter, clearer signature than the warm and smooth A63, but has a similar midrange focus. Costs $55-60.

I compared them a little here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-vsonic-vsd3s-ostry-kc06-havi-b3-pro/ 

Hi Joker. Firstly i would like to say what an amazing job you did reviewing all those products. i'm looking to upgrade from my Gr07, and right now I'm stuck between either ther LUF-4 or the Noble 4(Universal). Which one would you pick over the 2? Also have you heard of the Fischer Amps FA4-XB? I've read some really promising stuff and they're quad BA as well. What would your recommendation be?

Unfortunately I haven't tried the Noble 4 universal but the custom one has a very different sound than the LUF-4 - very flat and smooth and relaxed. The LUF-4 has a more v-shaped signature with more aggressive bass and upper mids/treble. The GR07 actually falls between these two in sound signature so you're moving in different directions from it depending on which one you go with. 

Haven't tried any Fischer Amps products.

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #14,920 of 16,931
It is always a treat when Joker ads another review to the list - almost like opening a present. Thanks for your hard work.... and where's that TF10 review? 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #14,921 of 16,931
  LOL I almost choked.

Did you think to sale or give them away?

I wouldn't mind giving some of them away on facebook or whatnot but that requires time I don't really have, plus I have some reservations about giving away "pre-owned" earphones (which all of mine are). Most sets I have are just set aside for future comparisons. 

It is always a treat when Joker ads another review to the list - almost like opening a present. Thanks for your hard work.... and where's that TF10 review? 
darthsmile.gif

Lost somewhere back in the 2000s
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #14,922 of 16,931
I wouldn't mind giving some of them away on facebook or whatnot but that requires time I don't really have, plus I have some reservations about giving away "pre-owned" earphones (which all of mine are). Most sets I have are just set aside for future comparisons. 

Lost somewhere back in the 2000s :p

I wouldn't mind pre-owned pairs. :smirk:

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #14,925 of 16,931
I wouldn't mind pre-owned pairs. :smirk:

Yeah I guess it wouldn't be a big issue for many if they are clearly labeled as such. Something to do on Facebook for major holidays I guess :p

Only 4 more to go for 1000!

It will be funny if this accomplishment happens on Christmas, or New Years.
etysmile.gif

Shouldn't take that long. My estimate is 2 weeks. 

Joker, any plans to review the new multi-BA Audio Technicas soon? Or any brief impressions on them so far?

Unfortunately I don't have them and I don't think they're coming from InnerFidelity, either. Audio-Technica really doesn't market these models outside of Japan. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back