Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #14,881 of 16,931
Thanks for the reply, Joker.

The problem with the Shure design is that i prefer the cable down approach (hence why i'm trying to find a similar composition to the re-400). Listening to the re-400 is a joy (i really like the mids) - they are just a bit flat for electronic music.

I previously owned the Brainwavz M2 (which i consider to be heavy with bass), so i'm kind of looking for a middle ground. I'll keep a look out for some Crystals.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #14,883 of 16,931
  Joker, would you recommend the HiSoundAudio Crystal for electronic music? I currently own the HifiMan RE-400, however i find them to be a bit too neutral for my taste (also the lack of bass).

I prefer a warm sound signature and am after something that has a similar size to the re-400s (i find them very comfortable).

Would the crystals be a good match? 

Try out the new RE-300. They are said to have more bass than any Hifiman IEMs yet to produced. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #14,886 of 16,931

Try out the new RE-300. They are said to have more bass than any Hifiman IEMs yet to produced. 

You were thinking joker praises RE400 too much; and you recommend RE300 even without listening them.. It is very confusing bro 
mad.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #14,887 of 16,931
  You were thinking joker praises RE400 too much; and you recommend RE300 even without listening them.. It is very confusing bro 
mad.gif

Haha ha who said that bro? 
biggrin.gif
 I didn't recommend RE-300. I just said "try out" them. 
wink.gif
 Anyway they are out of stock now.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #14,889 of 16,931
  Thanks for the reply, Joker.

The problem with the Shure design is that i prefer the cable down approach (hence why i'm trying to find a similar composition to the re-400). Listening to the re-400 is a joy (i really like the mids) - they are just a bit flat for electronic music.

I previously owned the Brainwavz M2 (which i consider to be heavy with bass), so i'm kind of looking for a middle ground. I'll keep a look out for some Crystals.

The Crystal does nicely split the difference between the M2 and RE-400 in bass. Sounds like it would be a good fit for you. 

Hey Joker, would you kindly recommend a portable DAC/amp for the sensitive SE846? I've been looking at JDS Labs' C5D, but I was wondering if you have any suggestions. Thank you.

I don't think I've tried a single new portable amp this year so I'm not exactly up to date
redface.gif
. I just use a HiFiMan HM-901 when I'm not too lazy to carry it around, and the Cowon J3 or my Nexus 5 straight when I am. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #14,891 of 16,931
Is there something, within 200 USD or so, that is either:

1. A VSonic GR07 MkII with a fuller low-end and more realistic weight to bass instruments and low percussion, and a more refined, less splashy and peaky top-end?
2. A HiFiMan RE-400 with a less docile treble, without necessarily being outright bright in the top-end, and with less fragile build quality?

I owned the GR07 MkII and find the low-end lacking realistic weight and general fullness. The top-end can also get fatiguing, harsh and spitty, with its several resonances and peaks.

I auditioned a HiFiMan RE-400 and loved pretty much everything about the sound except the top-end that was noticeably south of neutral, and tended to make a lot of mixes sound darker than they should. They're also frighteningly fragile - the owner of the pair I auditioned had his die on him two months later, and the forum is full of stories of the RE-400 falling apart rather easily.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #14,892 of 16,931
  2. A HiFiMan RE-400 with a less docile treble, without necessarily being outright bright in the top-end, and with less fragile build quality?

Yeah, the Aurisonics Rockets. Seriously. They're $249 unfortunately, but are exactly what you just described.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #14,894 of 16,931

Wow, never even heard of the Rockets. Where can I find more reviews and opinions?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694117/aurisonics-rockets-impressions-thread

Many members are describing them as some of the best earphones they've ever heard. Lifetime warranty, solid metal housings, waterproof, the whole nine yards.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #14,895 of 16,931
http://www.head-fi.org/t/694117/aurisonics-rockets-impressions-thread

Many members are describing them as some of the best earphones they've ever heard. Lifetime warranty, solid metal housings, waterproof, the whole nine yards.

Pretty sure it's a 5 year warranty... Unless they changed it, which is far ahead of what other earphone companies offer anyway. I'm looking at you Sony with your 90 day insult.

Titanium housings :D incredibly light.

But I'm not sure how much less docile the treble is than the RE-400. It's a pretty linear non-boosted treble, but it does have that 5-6k bumped edge to the sound in the lower treble.

Definitely one of my favorite earphones that I've heard at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back