Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #14,521 of 16,931
  Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and I joined to find help looking for new IEMs. I'm sure most people are tired of hearing this, but what are the cheapest bang-for-the-buck IEMs ($30 and under) that I can buy right now? There's so many IEM reviews on here, that I'm a bit overwhelmed, and I'm not sure what to choose. Sound quality is most important to me.

I looked at some of the reviews and am considering these so far:

KZ-ED2 ($12)
Xiaomi - Piston 2 ($25)
JVC - HAFX101 ($15)
JVC - HAFX40 ($19)
Philips - SHE3590 ($11)

Which one of these would be the best pick? Or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, about the KZ-ED2, is $12 a good price for it? Or do any of you know if the price will fall again? A few posts back, someone mentioned that it was going for less than $10.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-ED2-professional-in-ear-headphones-Metal-heavy-bass-sound-quality-Music-headphones/2019520112.html?PID=6146845&src=ale&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2FKZ-ED2-professional-in-ear-headphones-Metal-heavy-bass-sound-quality-Music-headphones%2F2019520112.html&cv=11032041&cn=null&tp1=xmrftfu4wjfo&tracelog=null&af=cj_6146845&vd=30

Also, I just want to thank the person(s) that is responsible for all these reviews. I can't imagine how much time and work it took to put all this together. Cheers!

I would go for the Pistons but I haven't tried the KZ. The Piston is a little on the bassy side but not as much as the JVC FX101. The 3590 is awesome if you are worried about bass bloat and want a little less bass, but IMO the Piston is tolerable for the price in that regard as well.

Joker can you recommend a universal iem $100-200 which is balanced across the FR and neutral, primarily for classical music

Sure, my picks would be TDK BA200, HiFiMan RE-400, Etymotic HF5, and VSonic VC1000. I arranged them from warmest to brightest but they're all quite neutral on the whole.

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #14,522 of 16,931
Sure, my picks would be TDK BA200, HiFiMan RE-400, Etymotic HF5, and VSonic VC1000. I arranged them from warmest to brightest but they're all quite neutral on the whole.

Hey, I'm looking for something similar. I listen to a lot of acoustic stuff and blues rock and Id like something relatively neutral but still strong in all aspects especially mids and highs. How does the GR07 Classic color compare to the IEMs you listed? Also vocals and instrument separation are important considerations

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #14,523 of 16,931
Hey, I'm looking for something similar. I listen to a lot of acoustic stuff and blues rock and Id like something relatively neutral but still strong in all aspects especially mids and highs. How does the GR07 Classic color compare to the IEMs you listed? Also vocals and instrument separation are important considerations

GR07 is a little less strong in the midrange than the ones I listed and has a bit more bass. Doesn't sound like what you're after if your priority is on mids and highs. BA200 would be a better option.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #14,524 of 16,931
@ljokerl
Any more in depth comparison btw 1964 V6 Stage vs JH13 Pro?
In terms of clarity, details/micro details, imaging, soundstage, etc? Are the differences very subtle and only detectable through long hard scrutiny that one might feel that any differences are tricks playing in our mind?
And for more versatile music genre, from Rock/Metal to Jazz/Classical and a bit of EDM tyoe, which fairs better?

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #14,525 of 16,931
@ljokerl

In terms of clarity, details/micro details, imaging, soundstage, etc? Are the differences very subtle and only detectable through long hard scrutiny that one might feel that any differences are tricks playing in our mind?
And for more versatile music genre, from Rock/Metal to Jazz/Classical and a bit of EDM tyoe, which fairs better?

1964 V6 has significant midbass bloat, so it wouldn't do well with any of the genres that require clean, fast bass. The Noble 6 handles it much better, but of course, it costs a lot more

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #14,526 of 16,931
  @ljokerl

Not a huge difference between them but the JH13 wins out mostly in treble quality and overall presentation/soundstaging. The V6-Stage has similar clarity but tends to have a little less bass impact and less forward mids. It is a little more sibilant as well. The JH13Pro has more prominent mids and more bass impact. Tonally it sounds slightly warmer than the V6 and is more rich and full-bodied overall, with a slightly more convincing and dynamic presentation. Its treble is smoother and a little more extended as well. If you can swing it, I'm pretty sure the JH13 will provide a better experience with your genres. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #14,527 of 16,931
Was this the headphone comparison site you were on about? http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/which-headphones-are-best-listen-here-for-yourself

I've tried using V4A and it worked really well with my FRD80 - helped me try to understand its sound signature more. Only thing is that it doesn't seem to make any difference to my 770 (I thought they'd be better to play around with, find my preferred sound).

Reckon that could be due to the higher impedance?

Also I know you've probably been asked many times, but are you planning on reviewing the VSonic VSD3(S)?

Cheers again!

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #14,528 of 16,931
Was this the headphone comparison site you were on about? http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/which-headphones-are-best-listen-here-for-yourself

I've tried using V4A and it worked really well with my FRD80 - helped me try to understand its sound signature more. Only thing is that it doesn't seem to make any difference to my 770 (I thought they'd be better to play around with, find my preferred sound).

Reckon that could be due to the higher impedance?

Also I know you've probably been asked many times, but are you planning on reviewing the VSonic VSD3(S)?

Cheers again!

Yep, that's the one! Haven't played around with it too much (no IEMs on there) but it's a cool concept for sure. I think this works best when using a reference-flat/neutral in-ear like an Ety HF5 or something. The more "colored" your headphone, the more everything is going to sound the same. 

I do plan to review the VSD3S - should have some impressions of that, the Havi B3 Pro1, and the Ostry KC06 posted in a couple of weeks. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #14,529 of 16,931
OMG, B3 Pro 1, KC06 and VSD3, let's see how's the winner 
I bet on the VSD3 
cool.gif

--

BTW, my Vivo MMX 71 iE (AKA Beyerdynamic DTX 71 iE with smartphone controls) should finally arrive tomorrow, I'll try to give some impressions to compare with your DTX 71 iE review and check if they're the same. I don't think people would be as interested in it as the the Piston, due to the more flat and bass light sound signature of the Beyer, but I guess there's someone how would like it.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #14,530 of 16,931
GR07 is a little less strong in the midrange than the ones I listed and has a bit more bass. Doesn't sound like what you're after if your priority is on mids and highs. BA200 would be a better option.
Thanks. It's true that bass isn't my chief concern. Where could I buy the ba200 at a reasonable price? The only place I know of is eBay and its from some random Israeli seller. I heard they were selling for 120 last year on Amazon but I can't find anything once again.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #14,531 of 16,931

I think this works best when using a reference-flat/neutral in-ear like an Ety HF5 or something. The more "colored" your headphone, the more everything is going to sound the same. 

That's a good point. I could probably try using the FRD80s with V4A (to get the neutral sound) and compare from there. Cheers!

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #14,535 of 16,931
ljokerl my MMX 71 iE finally arrived, I would say they`re nothing special, their sound remembered me a lot the SHE3570/SHE3590, would you agree?
Althought for 20 buck I think they`re a good buy, the problem is that the Pistons are really better for almost the same price.

bjbsw6.jpg
20ppig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back