Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #13,726 of 16,931
  ljokerl,

I think my comparison wasn't very good. It isn't a matter about sound signature, but it´s about characteristic of most BA earphones. The ATH-CK10 and Westone 4 have this a slightly plasticky character in the mids, but the GR07 and EX1000, like all dynamic IEM that I heard, don´t have that.

My friend has the JH Roxanne. He told me that Roxanne is unique BA earphone that doesn´t have this a slightly plasticky character in the mids.

Thanks!

I didn't mean the sound signature either - I meant the character of the mids specifically. If you're looking for something that sounds more like a dynamic driver or SM3, the JH13 isn't it.

May 30, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #13,727 of 16,931
Honestly, nothing comes to mind in terms of an upgrade from the BA200 in every area of consequence with no absolutely concessions in the sub-$700 range. See, for example, the comparison to the Sony MDR-7550 in the BA200 review - I expected the 7550 to come out on top but really, each has some pros and cons. The same went for the more high-end universals I compared to the BA200 to - the Westone 40, for example, and the StageDiver SD-2.

That's not to say it isn't out there - there might even be a few potential winners in my current queue - the Lear LUF-4F, for example, or the Perfect Seal SportBuds - but right now I can't confidently say either of them is it.

Boy ljokerl,

Your scaring me here... I spent a $120 and to get something TRULY better with no compromises its going to have to go NORTH of $700!  WOW...
I was looking that Audioearz after I read you review of the 5x and 8x and it seems either the 6x or 7x may do the trick and I can always upgrade later to the 8x, its the customer service from them that has me intrigued and THAT means
almost as much the IEMs themselves since things DO happen...
It at least gives me something to shoot for under $650-$800 and is made in America for easy refits and upgrades.
Unless you have a better suggestion? Something in Silicon for comfort and isolation? Argh too much thinking here! :)

I like the Heir line up from your reviews but its just not a convenient to make corrections to etc. because of their locations.
Oh well in your next batch as you said but Audioearz for now seems to be on the short list I think after reading, unless you can suggest better.
The good thing is I have some time...

May 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #13,729 of 16,931
If youre interested in heir why not look at noble audio then?

Forgot about them to be honest given I was looking at a variety of things.This is because I tend to be price driven more than I should be be given the Dreamearz gets a lot of driver
per $$$$, has an upgrade program etc. ljokerl gave them a pretty good review. You can buy a Custom Aud 6x for $665 vs the Noble Custom 4s for $999. Now Noble's NON custom IEMS seem to come in at much better pricing. Since ljokerl has heard both
I wonder which he would favor the Custom Aud or the standard Noble...

May 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #13,730 of 16,931

Forgot about them to be honest given I was looking at a variety of things.This is because I tend to be price driven more than I should be be given the Dreamearz gets a lot of driver
per $$$$, has an upgrade program etc. ljokerl gave them a pretty good review. You can buy a Custom Aud 6x for $665 vs the Noble Custom 4s for $999. Now Noble's NON custom IEMS seem to come in at much better pricing. Since ljokerl has heard both
I wonder which he would favor the Custom Aud or the standard Noble...

Well, you can also go for an acrylic Noble ciem unless you're really set on getting a silicone one. Silicone ciems still have their limitations and a noble 4c will cost you $300 less

May 31, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #13,731 of 16,931
All these choices... Let's say I have ALL my pennies saved or I am a little bit away maybe a month or 2 maybe 3 at the most...
As I looked at ljokerl's list, the Heir 8.a CIEM is at near the top of the list.
Heir makes an IEM 5.0 5 driver for $599 that is SUPPOSE to  be very similar to their CIEM 8. Make you wonder how it truly sounds vs. the CIEM
The Noble 4C is $699 as was pointed out.
The Dreamearz Aud 6x CIEM is $665.

There some others out there but for a start that is not a bad list to work from. As I want something to really beat out the BA-200s in all aspects.
ljokerl said you need to go NORTH of $700 to get such sound. I really don't want to go nuts but it is so hard buying something that you really have no way to hear first, that is as stated I know where I put my faith.
Unless something is really super that I am missing in that price range, my guess it will be one of those 3, unless something is pointed out...
I really can not find it in myself to spend more around that $700 and less is ALWAYS good and the Heir 5.0 MAY be the best compromise even though I am hesitant should something go wrong...

May 31, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #13,732 of 16,931
  Boy ljokerl,

Your scaring me here... I spent a $120 and to get something TRULY better with no compromises its going to have to go NORTH of $700!  WOW...
I was looking that Audioearz after I read you review of the 5x and 8x and it seems either the 6x or 7x may do the trick and I can always upgrade later to the 8x, its the customer service from them that has me intrigued and THAT means
almost as much the IEMs themselves since things DO happen...
It at least gives me something to shoot for under $650-$800 and is made in America for easy refits and upgrades.
Unless you have a better suggestion? Something in Silicon for comfort and isolation? Argh too much thinking here! :)

I like the Heir line up from your reviews but its just not a convenient to make corrections to etc. because of their locations.
Oh well in your next batch as you said but Audioearz for now seems to be on the short list I think after reading, unless you can suggest better.
The good thing is I have some time...

I should clarify that by no compromises I mean not even potential ones. For example, the 1964EARS V6-Stage is one of my favorite custom monitors with almost no notable weaknesses. However, its tuning is less bassy than that of the TDK BA200, so it might seem like the bass quantity is a compromise in comparison. It also has slightly more peaky treble - again, some people might even like that better, but compared to the BA200 it can be perceived as being a little less smooth. For me the V6-Stage is definitely an upgrade to the BA200 and I enjoy it significantly more, but even I can't say it's an all-around upgrade. 

And, I have not reviewed any AudioEarz - you're probably thinking of average_joe's reviews. 

May 31, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #13,733 of 16,931
ljokerl,

I'm trying to decide on a CIEM as an upgrade to my Brainwavz B2 (or DBA-02 that you've reviewed, as it's essentially the same thing). I'd like something with a similar signature, but with a bit more authority in the lower register. I probably can't spend the money for a TOTL like the JH13, so I'm thinking something from 1964 - probably either the V6 or the V6S. How would you compare the V6S's signature to that of the B2? I'm worried about your reports of sibilance, as I've been using Comply tips with my B2 to slightly warm it up. I'm thinking the V6 might be a better option, as it's reported to have a smoother treble and more balanced signature overall. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the V6S vs. the B2/DBA-02, though.

Thanks!:)

May 31, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #13,735 of 16,931
Hello Joker,

I know the Xiaomi Pistons are in your list to be reviewed at a later time and date. Hopefully, you could try ordering the "IF Edition" Pistons. This is basically a whole package -carry pouch, shirt clip, and a better single flange (tip) compared to the earlier versions.

But, while you're waiting on that, hopefully this would be a surprise for you! I manage to pick-up 2 more "Original Pistons (H01)," or some may say 1.0 Pistons from a certified vendor here in China. These are the original silver pistons!

If it's OK with you, I would like to send you one for your review board. By now, the first one's are extremely hard to come by. Since last year, xiaomi stop making these models. But, there's still plenty of old stock here in China!

Difference between the old and new version:

1. Old: Closed back                  New: Open back (ported)

2. Old: Color -Silver                  New: Color -2.0, 2.1, Copper  /  IF Version, Gold (or Silver on some)

3. Old: Copper Diaphragm        New: Beryllium Diaphragm

4. Old: Balanced (clear)            New: Full-bodied, very clear and airy

This could be subjective.

-Hopefully you could be the one to give us a better review.

So, let me know if you're interested and I'll send you one, free-of-charge! Yup! Yours to keep!

Ps. I don't work for them, I just love a good bargain when I see one. And thought you might want to add these to your collection, since I realizing you don't carry these on your list.

-Hope your interested.  
happy_face1.gif

May 31, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #13,736 of 16,931
  I should clarify that by no compromises I mean not even potential ones. For example, the 1964EARS V6-Stage is one of my favorite custom monitors with almost no notable weaknesses. However, its tuning is less bassy than that of the TDK BA200, so it might seem like the bass quantity is a compromise in comparison. It also has slightly more peaky treble - again, some people might even like that better, but compared to the BA200 it can be perceived as being a little less smooth. For me the V6-Stage is definitely an upgrade to the BA200 and I enjoy it significantly more, but even I can't say it's an all-around upgrade.

And, I have not reviewed any AudioEarz - you're probably thinking of average_joe's reviews.

I just went to the page before on the Noble 4S review and then to the AudioEarz review and carelessly did not notice the name change at the top. The last several reviews I had read were by you.
I apologize for that error. Once I get involved reading and searching I get kind of involved and made the assumption without double checking.

What makes it hard is funding is limited, most know how it is right? Daughter in college, medical bills, higher car insurance etc. etc.  I know or assume a lot of people are in the same boat.
At least for me it has has now come to bang for the buck that has some of the wow factor given everything read hear recently. I had in my head from $120 for the BA-200s to $700 or less would get me there originally.
As I found out very quickly from the experts here that I trust, that is JUST not going to be the case for all instances given my price range.

I already have awesome full sized cans but I am out about a lot more and using them outside the house is just not going to happen for me.
Some final thoughts and questions that of course have opinions but that is what makes this place, which is awesome!

1. I am better of with a lower priced but more advanced IEM vs. a CIEM? The reason why I ask this is if you go to the Noble Audio page
    The Noble 5 is $650 if I go custom its becomes the 4C. The same thing goes with Heir who I initially eliminated for custom do my bad luck with
    things and sending back and forth to China just is not my thing because of that. I mean I can always pay to reshell with custom later right? Or do I give
    up too much buy not going custom. This is going to be my last pair for a very long time!

2. Now it is really opinion time and I am driving myself nuts, call it a talent as I over think everything as I want the best for $$$, just like everybody else, JUST so many good things!
   Once I have question #1 resolved I can then make the choice of what to get. To be honest I had considered 1964ears awhile ago but just forgot as I was looking
   at other IEMs. So many to chose from and with ljokerl giving the thumbs up I can assured I will be happy. But I can now as the question directly. From reading here etc.
   it looks like it should come down to the 1964 v6 stage or maybe the Noble 4C given how neutral and balanced I have read it to be or even possible the Noble 5 standard IEM.
   Bass is NOT the be all in my world it has to be there and a I have to hear it tight and accurate and NOT overwhelming...

As usual thanks for all the help and hopefully I can put this to bed and stop with all the questions!

May 31, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #13,737 of 16,931
ljokerl,

I am currently Looking for a balanced armature set of IEM's. I don't currently own any in my collection so I'm looking for one that is a perfect example of the BA implementation.

My budget is 175 dollars. Right now I've been researching the xba 20 & 30, audeo pfe 132, and the TDK ba200. My preferred sound Sig is one that is relatively neutral with a bit of bass/mid-bass emphasis.

Can you compare and contrast the ba200 and the pfe? Might you be able to reccomend me a proper BA set that will play nice with my all dynamic family??

*Edit* I'm not looking for a BA that sounds like a dynamic, just tend to dislike thin sounding sets. I just need the slightest coloration of fun sound. Thanks alot!

May 31, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #13,738 of 16,931
ljokerl,

I am currently Looking for a balanced armature set of IEM's. I don't currently own any in my collection so I'm looking for one that is a perfect example of the BA implementation.

My budget is 175 dollars. Right now I've been researching the xba 20 & 30, audeo pfe 132, and the TDK ba200. My preferred sound Sig is one that is relatively neutral with a bit of bass/mid-bass emphasis.

Can you compare and contrast the ba200 and the pfe? Might you be able to reccomend me a proper BA set that will play nice with my all dynamic family??

*Edit* I'm not looking for a BA that sounds like a dynamic, just tend to dislike thin sounding sets. I just need the slightest coloration of fun sound. Thanks alot!

Check/read up on the Zero Audio Doppio. Should fit the bill nicely. Singolo possibly as well since they seem to be a fun sound.

May 31, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #13,740 of 16,931
ljokerl,

I'm trying to decide on a CIEM as an upgrade to my Brainwavz B2 (or DBA-02 that you've reviewed, as it's essentially the same thing). I'd like something with a similar signature, but with a bit more authority in the lower register. I probably can't spend the money for a TOTL like the JH13, so I'm thinking something from 1964 - probably either the V6 or the V6S. How would you compare the V6S's signature to that of the B2? I'm worried about your reports of sibilance, as I've been using Comply tips with my B2 to slightly warm it up. I'm thinking the V6 might be a better option, as it's reported to have a smoother treble and more balanced signature overall. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the V6S vs. the B2/DBA-02, though.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't tried the V6 but the V6-Stage would do it. The sibilance is very minor - it's really not any less forgiving than the B2/DBA-02 (with silicone tips, not Comply). I was comparing it to sets like the Miracle, JH13, etc. in the review. It already has a little more bass impact than the B2 - if the V6 is any bassier than that, might be too much of a step away from the accurate sound of the B2.

does anybody here knows how the dunu dn900 vs ostry kc06a vs t-peos h-100 compares ? 

I'm not a fan of the DN-900 - too muffled in the midrange. The H-100 has a very peculiar signature - bright and somewhat thin, but also with solid bass that has excellent depth. You might also consider the newer (and more inexpensive) Astrotec AX-35 if you're looking at hybrids: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/astrotec-ax-35/ . Haven't tried the KC06a.

Hello Joker,

I know the Xiaomi Pistons are in your list to be reviewed at a later time and date. Hopefully, you could try ordering the "IF Edition" Pistons. This is basically a whole package -carry pouch, shirt clip, and a better single flange (tip) compared to the earlier versions.

But, while you're waiting on that, hopefully this would be a surprise for you! I manage to pick-up 2 more "Original Pistons (H01)," or some may say 1.0 Pistons from a certified vendor here in China. These are the original silver pistons!

If it's OK with you, I would like to send you one for your review board. By now, the first one's are extremely hard to come by. Since last year, xiaomi stop making these models. But, there's still plenty of old stock here in China!

Difference between the old and new version:

1. Old: Closed back                  New: Open back (ported)

2. Old: Color -Silver                  New: Color -2.0, 2.1, Copper  /  IF Version, Gold (or Silver on some)

3. Old: Copper Diaphragm        New: Beryllium Diaphragm

4. Old: Balanced (clear)            New: Full-bodied, very clear and airy

This could be subjective.

-Hopefully you could be the one to give us a better review.

So, let me know if you're interested and I'll send you one, free-of-charge! Yup! Yours to keep!

Ps. I don't work for them, I just love a good bargain when I see one. And thought you might want to add these to your collection, since I realizing you don't carry these on your list.

-Hope your interested.  
happy_face1.gif

Happily, someone has already sent a Pistons over my way. It hasn't arrived yet but I believe it's a 2.0. I think it'll do for now as far as a review goes, but I really appreciate the info and of course the offer.

Just curious, was the 1.0 discontinued when the new version came out or are they coexisting?

1. I am better of with a lower priced but more advanced IEM vs. a CIEM? The reason why I ask this is if you go to the Noble Audio page
    The Noble 5 is $650 if I go custom its becomes the 4C. The same thing goes with Heir who I initially eliminated for custom do my bad luck with
    things and sending back and forth to China just is not my thing because of that. I mean I can always pay to reshell with custom later right? Or do I give
    up too much buy not going custom. This is going to be my last pair for a very long time!

It's best not to generalize here and just take it on a case by case basis. I actually like my Noble 4S better than the similarly-priced Noble 6. See here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-noble-6-dunu-dn-2000-nuforce-t-peos-ear-earphones/

ljokerl,

I would go for the BA200, if you can find one. It's the least cold/bright-sounding of those (except the XBA-20, which I haven't tried) and it has that little bit of coloration you seem to be after. The PFE132, aside from being discontinued as far as I know, is also more analytical.

I'm looking forward to the hifiman RE-600 review!

I wrote one here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-re-400-waterline-and-re-600-songbird-dynamic-ear-monitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back