Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 31, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #13,742 of 16,931
  Thanks, I've read that one a while back now. Didn't know it was you :)

I was also wondering how you would rate their SQ. Since you gave the RE-400 a generous 9!

Since they are so similar in SQ, no more than a 9.1 or 9.2. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #13,743 of 16,931
*Your reply

*Joker

Happily, someone has already sent a Pistons over my way. It hasn't arrived yet but I believe it's a 2.0. I think it'll do for now as far as a review goes, but I really appreciate the info and of course the offer.

Just curious, was the 1.0 discontinued when the new version came out or are they coexisting?

From me: -1clearhead

Just a reminder.....the tips on the "IF Edition" seals extremely well compared to the 2.0, and 2.1. .....just giving you a heads-up.

Actually, the 1.0 was the first "silver" pistons that gain popularity in China for their "well balanced and clear sound" and was catching on quick to other countries. And just as the hype started on the silver pistons the company decided to launch the 2.0 pistons (copper color pistons). With the beryllium diaphragms, the copper pistons provided a full-bodied and very clear sound that rivaled full-size headphones. So, I guess, the copper pistons was selling twice as fast for that matter and the company decided to retire the silver pistons last year. But, I'm still able to pick up the old stock from a certified vendor for xiaomi here in China. And they still are an incredible gem in sound and price!

So, if you're interested you will definitely have a rare opportunity to have these for free. You might find them interesting and decide to keep them in your collection. Nothing in return!

Besides you helped so many shoppers here. I think it's most appreciated and you deserve something in return.

Let me know....nothing to it! It's all good!

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #13,744 of 16,931
I'd be happy to try them, if only to A:B with the newer version and see where they fall in the grand scheme of things for SQ. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #13,747 of 16,931
Hey Joker,

What would be a handful of iems that have a nearly identical sound signature to the Philips SHE-3580/90s up to $150 at different price points? With better detail and clarity, soundstage, separation, imaging, etc...
I know it is V-shaped in general and this must seem like an odd question, but I was curious what you perceived as similar iems in all your extensive testing. Would iems such as the VSD1S, AM-800, AX-35, or HA-FXT90 be a super close sig but all around better?

Thanks,
Alex

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #13,749 of 16,931
  Great! I'll gladly send them out sometime this week. I'll contact you before hand.

Thanks, much appreciated 
wink.gif

Hey Joker,

What would be a handful of iems that have a nearly identical sound signature to the Philips SHE-3580/90s up to $150 at different price points? With better detail and clarity, soundstage, separation, imaging, etc...
I know it is V-shaped in general and this must seem like an odd question, but I was curious what you perceived as similar iems in all your extensive testing. Would iems such as the VSD1S, AM-800, AX-35, or HA-FXT90 be a super close sig but all around better?

Thanks,
Alex

As discussed over the past few pages, it's very hard to find an earphone that is all around better than another (as long as the starting point is a good performer, of course) - there are almost always some potential compromises to be made. The VSD1S, for example, is more sibilance-prone than the SHE3580, even though I still consider it an upgrade overall - better clarity, tighter bass, wider soundstage, etc. The AM-800 is substantially brighter than the SHE3850 and has noticeably less bass. The AX35 is also brighter and has less deep bass. The FXT90 is more mid-bassy. Out of these I would consider the FXT90 and VSD1S to be the best upgrades in terms of value for money. 

Would an audeo pfe 132 still sound analytical, but warm up good with a fiio e11 bass boost?

You'd have to ask someone who owns an E11 and a 132.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #13,750 of 16,931
I don't own the E11 but i have the PFEs paired with my X5 and they sounds just great, still love them so much even after 4 years :) But bass (with black filters) isn't their strength point as they are more analytical :)

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #13,752 of 16,931
Yeah I do realize that they are analyitical. Just wondered if given a bass boost, would they warm up just a hair.

Pfe has better bass than Logitech UE600 and extends more to sub-bass region. They will warm up if you pair them with a warm amp like C&C Bh2 or E12. Just keep in mind that PFEs need an amp to shine. 
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #13,754 of 16,931
The foam tips that come with the DUNU DN-1000.. Are those Comply ones or their own brand? If they are complys, which model are they? If they aren't, what's the closest aftermarket tips that can be purchased.. and are they as good?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #13,755 of 16,931
The foam tips that come with the DUNU DN-1000.. Are those Comply ones or their own brand? If they are complys, which model are they? If they aren't, what's the closest aftermarket tips that can be purchased.. and are they as good?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They're not "real" Complys as far as I can tell. However, my Comply T400s fit on them fine. T500s might fit as a well - don't have any right now to test. I prefer Comply tips to the stock Dunu foamies. The Audio-Technica heat-activated foam tips also fit very well but are expensive at about $3/pair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back