Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #13,516 of 16,931
Hello Joker.

Can you clarify what portable music player(s) you use for reviewing IEMS?

In the opening thread post you say

On-the-go listening is done using a Cowon J3 and HiFiMan HM-901 portable players. A wide range of tracks in FLAC and mp3 file formats is used. Critical listening is done via an optical-fed iBasso D10 and the HiFiMan HM-901 using only WMA and Flac lossless files.

Is that still the case?

One might argue that neither of those devices are really very commonly used and certainly the J3 is not really on a par anymore with current devices.

On top of that, what settings do you use on these devices and what volume do you play music at?

I ask this really because I personally use a Samsung S3 rooted with Boeffla Kernel and Viper 4 android DSP app.

In this scenario, how can I know how these IEMs you are reviewing will sound from my phone?

No offence meant at all, but perhaps this thread might be a bit like the equivalent of watching cookery programmes when you don't own an oven.

Well if you're using the Viper-DDC function in the latest Viper4Android version, results will depend a lot on how good the DDC profile is for your particular earphones... What are you using now?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #13,517 of 16,931
Hey ljokerl, 

I'm interested in the Noble 4S but maybe thinking about getting the Noble 4 for quick insertion, extraction, etc. at work. I think that the RE-400 and VC1000 can co-exist and between them cover lots of ground as an incredible budget duo...pretty much any music I'd personally listen too. (When I want something bassy, the RE-400 is good enough for me.) But if the 4S is the logical upgrade to the VC1000 (though I'd actually be looking at the 4), what do you think of as the universal upgrade to the RE-400? Maybe the SE535? I guess I'm wondering if I were looking at two universal upgrades, an upgrade to both RE-400 and VC1000, what would they be... Any thoughts, ramblings, etc. would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

May 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #13,518 of 16,931
Hello Joker.

Can you clarify what portable music player(s) you use for reviewing IEMS?

In the opening thread post you say

On-the-go listening is done using a Cowon J3 and HiFiMan HM-901 portable players. A wide range of tracks in FLAC and mp3 file formats is used. Critical listening is done via an optical-fed iBasso D10 and the HiFiMan HM-901 using only WMA and Flac lossless files.

Is that still the case?

One might argue that neither of those devices are really very commonly used and certainly the J3 is not really on a par anymore with current devices.

On top of that, what settings do you use on these devices and what volume do you play music at?

I ask this really because I personally use a Samsung S3 rooted with Boeffla Kernel and Viper 4 android DSP app.

In this scenario, how can I know how these IEMs you are reviewing will sound from my phone?

No offence meant at all, but perhaps this thread might be a bit like the equivalent of watching cookery programmes when you don't own an oven.

Very good question. Let me share the  thought of Mr. Ivor Tiefenbrun (Linn Products Ltd) about the "front end": ".... Tiefenbrun also battled the thinking, since Edgar Villchur, that the loudspeakers were the most important, instead asserting primacy of "the front end", saying that the quality of sound of the source was key. ... " (Wikipedia) - and hundreds of articles from the past till today. Ok, not loudspeakers but IEMs (little loudspeakers....! ) . Welcome to the forum  Agharta

May 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #13,519 of 16,931
Hey ljokerl, 

I'm interested in the Noble 4S but maybe thinking about getting the Noble 4 for quick insertion, extraction, etc. at work. I think that the RE-400 and VC1000 can co-exist and between them cover lots of ground as an incredible budget duo...pretty much any music I'd personally listen too. (When I want something bassy, the RE-400 is good enough for me.) But if the 4S is the logical upgrade to the VC1000 (though I'd actually be looking at the 4), what do you think of as the universal upgrade to the RE-400? Maybe the SE535? I guess I'm wondering if I were looking at two universal upgrades, an upgrade to both RE-400 and VC1000, what would they be... Any thoughts, ramblings, etc. would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

If you want an VC1000 with more bass, go for the DN1000 :)

I got the universal Noble 4 a while ago and find it lacking low end personally.

May 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #13,520 of 16,931

beyersmile.png
Hi! joker!
I have $1000 now and I want to buy a custom IEM for some Jpop like Asriel.
So could you please give me some recommendation?
Thanks a lot!

To be honest I've never listened to any Jpop in my life. Do you know what sort of sound signature you're looking for?

Hey ljokerl, 

Thanks! 

I would consider the 4S an upgrade to both the RE-400 and VC1000, though its signature is probably closer to the HiFiMan with the smoother splash-free treble and not particularly lean note presentation. That said, I'm not sure how the universal version compares but I would not be surprised if the greater contact area of the 4S gives it a more impactful low end compared to the universal version. I certainly don't think the custom lags behind the RE-400 in bass impact.

If we discard the 4S and stick only to universals, I would maybe consider the StageDiver SD-2 as an RE-400 upgrade though I personally can't say it's worth the extra scratch over the HiFiMan. It mostly improves over the RE-400 in bass depth and soundstage size. The Dunu DN2000 seems promising as well so far but I need to spend more time with it, which is definitely on my to-do list.

May 4, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #13,521 of 16,931
hmmm

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 4, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #13,522 of 16,931
  If we discard the 4S and stick only to universals, I would maybe consider the StageDiver SD-2 as an RE-400 upgrade though I personally can't say it's worth the extra scratch over the HiFiMan. It mostly improves over the RE-400 in bass depth and soundstage size. The Dunu DN2000 seems promising as well so far but I need to spend more time with it, which is definitely on my to-do list.

INteresting. Been waiting for a true all-round upgrade to the RE400 in terms of SQ and Value. Especially value, considering we usually end up in higher-than-expected $$$ territory for a 100$IEM upgrade.
Wonder what your comparison list will be. RE400, SD2, DN1000, RE600, GR07MKII, Music One, SM64, MDR-7550..... It's all wrong isn't it? 
rolleyes.gif

Side-note: Why aren't any of the T-peos flagships making their way to you? Or the JVCs. Or the XBAs. 
Side-note2: When is the UE-TF1 ...... ah, never mind 
popcorn.gif

Threads like this make Head-fi the epic forum it is. You've earned a over thousand karmic-beers mate. Cheers 
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #13,523 of 16,931
Well if you're using the Viper-DDC function in the latest Viper4Android version, results will depend a lot on how good the DDC profile is for your particular earphones... What are you using now?

I use the Dolby Pro Logic irs in Convolver in Viper - makes my Brainwavz R3 iems really sing.

There's sadly no DDC for the Brainwavz yet - any idea how I can request one?

On the subject of DAPs, I have to say I used to have the Cowon J3 and while it's a nice little device, my S3 poos all over it in sound quality.

I used to laugh at those using smartphones and EQ. What a fool I was.

May 4, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #13,524 of 16,931
  INteresting. Been waiting for a true all-round upgrade to the RE400 in terms of SQ and Value. Especially value, considering we usually end up in higher-than-expected $$$ territory for a 100$IEM upgrade.
Wonder what your comparison list will be. RE400, SD2, DN1000, RE600, GR07MKII, Music One, SM64, MDR-7550..... It's all wrong isn't it? 
rolleyes.gif

Side-note: Why aren't any of the T-peos flagships making their way to you? Or the JVCs. Or the XBAs. 
Side-note2: When is the UE-TF1 ...... ah, never mind 
popcorn.gif

Threads like this make Head-fi the epic forum it is. You've earned a over thousand karmic-beers mate. Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Honestly, it's hard to expect anything priced 3x higher to beat the RE-400 in value. I know for sure I'll use the RE-400 and GR07 in DN2000 comparisons as those two live on my desk. Everything else is TBD but your list makes sense. Aside from standard benchmarks I usually try to pick sets with a somewhat similar signature priced both higher and lower, as well as similarly-priced sets that are not a signature match but otherwise comparable. 

With unlimited time I could probably get my hands on most of the IEMs out there. As it stands, the queue is full enough. Perhaps I spend some time on sets that don't need to be reviewed but I've also starting setting aside unremarkable earphones without review. Not sure if that's a great move in the long run but it allows me to cover more of what I actually want to cover. 

May 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #13,526 of 16,931
Joker, I see you've reviewed the Earsonics SM3 v1. Have you heard the v2?.. . If you have, is there any notable difference between the two? Thanks.

Nope, never got to try the v2. At the time when it came out, it was reported to be pretty similar to the v1 minus the less crappy housing.

May 5, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #13,528 of 16,931
  Does the RE-400 ever go on sale? I must pick-up a pair at some point. They sound like a great reference set to include with my GR07 and BA200.

I've only seen HiFiMan gear go on sale towards end-of-life so I wouldn't count on it. Best bet might be a used one here on the forums.

May 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #13,529 of 16,931
  Does the RE-400 ever go on sale? I must pick-up a pair at some point. They sound like a great reference set to include with my GR07 and BA200.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716228/hifiman-re400b-iems-balanced-model-or-non-balanced-mode

May 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #13,530 of 16,931
Hey Joker,

I noticed you reviewed the Kanen KM-948 (4mm Driver Unit) and the JVC HA-FXC50 (5.5mm Driver Unit) on your IEM's thread. But, I finally found the successor of these two.

The Senmai SM-E9106

Pros:

1. Tips seal perfectly (no need to worry)

2. It is vented across the back for great accuracy!

3. 7mm Driver Unit -can easily be driven with any portable device

I kid you not, they both fail in comparison. They have a beautiful sounding V shape!

Note: Needs to be burned for at least 80 to 100 hours to get the accuracy stated above.

Cons:  The wires do feel a little thin. Must take extra care. Wire thickness similar to the Kanen and JVC.

.....I hope you take a chance to review these more accurately and let us know the outcome. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back