Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #13,201 of 16,931
From what I understand so far, IEMs in the £1000 + region can effortlessly vastly outperform full sized headphones or even speakers for that matter. But how do the sub 500 compare? i.e W4R & SE535?

i too doubt that , out doing a hd600 is difficult , iems can only dream of that sound stage . and you cant compare iems with full headphones of upper mid range .

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #13,202 of 16,931
I know soundstage wise there is no comparison, but in other areas IEMs, especially CIEMs are strong contenders. BA drivers are notorious for their detail retrievel. I remember reading in a review on another website they were comparing Spiral Ear SE-5Way to an LCD-3 and said that it outperformed it in all areas with the exception of soundstage. Unless that was complete bs then it sounds like quite a feat considering the LCD-3 is Audeze's TOTL headphone, as is the SE-5Way though.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #13,203 of 16,931
    i too doubt that , out doing a hd600 is difficult , iems can only dream of that sound stage . and you cant compare iems with full headphones of upper mid range .

Now you're comparing open headphones to iems. A hd600 and an ie80 have a similar stage size to me. They both suck at isolation.

A closed headphone with good isolation stages similar to my best closed iems. Bass impact aside - it's important to compare similar usage capability as well as technical ability.

Example: my re-400 gives more 3d staging than my focal spirit pro. Width is the same but the re-400 have more black space IMO.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #13,204 of 16,931
Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/594426/mini-review-audeze-lcd-3-vs-lcd-2-r2-sr-007-et-al
Search for where it talks about JH13. Just so you know, this wasn't the article I was referring to. Just happened to stumble upon this now.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #13,205 of 16,931
Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/594426/mini-review-audeze-lcd-3-vs-lcd-2-r2-sr-007-et-al
Search for where it talks about JH13. Just so you know, this wasn't the article I was referring to. Just happened to stumble upon this now.

Am I blind or searching wrong.... I find ony one paragraph where it mentions the jh13 and there is no comparison other that just motioning the CIEM?

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #13,208 of 16,931
Hey Joker, your guide is amazing! I need help with some more sturdy IEM's though. I had Silver Bullets, loved the bang for the buck so much that when the first pair broke I bought a second pair but they broke as well after about a year. Thing is I have a fairly active lifestyle, I travel around and do climbing etc. So while the Bullets were great in their bracket they're just way too fragile for me. So I was wondering:

Can you (or anyone else) recommend any IEM's that are more durable? I am thinking woven cord and a sturdy strain relief or something but I don't know anything about this stuff. I guess I am looking for 'Bullet' sound quality or better if possible.. I really appreciated their clarity and detail level, I listen to wacky, experimental progressive stuff in various genres from metal to jazz to electronic music and just love being able to hear every detail as well as feel the dimensions and space/room (sound stage?).

Budget range is around $150 give or take $50.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #13,209 of 16,931
Thanks for this most useful review thread.

I just wanted to know your suggestion for a true upgrade over TDK Ba200 and Ath im02.
İm02 sounds just the way I love but its fit is a little problem for me and so I am searching a better fitting iem (and better in every aspects) budget is around 600 usd.

Thanks

Ps: here is the original question

Though I love that Ath im02 sound, I know I'll move to a better one in the future.
How im02 sounds: Bright, clear, mid forward, spacious, fast and puchy, sufficent bass for even Dubstep on armatures.
Source: dx50

Anything you can recommend?

I haven't tried the IM02 so I'm not sure what it sounds like. What are you looking for in comparison to the BA200?

From reading your description it sounds like a Sony EX1000 but the fit on those doesn't work for everyone and they might be hard to find these days.

Inear Soundstage 2 or Shure SE535 which one? After a neutral sound with good mids.

Either I guess. The SD-2 is definitely a little warm of neutral but I like it quite a bit. 

Hey Joker, your guide is amazing! I need help with some more sturdy IEM's though. I had Silver Bullets, loved the bang for the buck so much that when the first pair broke I bought a second pair but they broke as well after about a year. Thing is I have a fairly active lifestyle, I travel around and do climbing etc. So while the Bullets were great in their bracket they're just way too fragile for me. So I was wondering:

Can you (or anyone else) recommend any IEM's that are more durable? I am thinking woven cord and a sturdy strain relief or something but I don't know anything about this stuff. I guess I am looking for 'Bullet' sound quality or better if possible.. I really appreciated their clarity and detail level, I listen to wacky, experimental progressive stuff in various genres from metal to jazz to electronic music and just love being able to hear every detail as well as feel the dimensions and space/room (sound stage?).

Budget range is around $150 give or take $50.

Dunu earphones tend to be pretty tough and the DN1000 sounds very good. It's at the upper end of your price range though. 

The JVC FXT90 was pretty well-made and reminds me of the Silver Bullet in some ways, but sounds better overall. It's $100-ish. 

The Shure SE215 is not really an upgrade in sound quality compared to the Silver Bullet but it's well-made and has detachable cables so if something goes wrong with the cord (as it often does) you just replace the cord. Lastly, the ATH-CKM500 is comparable in sound (albeit quite a bit bassier than the Silver Bullet), cheaper, and should be pretty durable as well. 

P.S. keep in mind that it might be more cost effective to replace a $60 IEM every year than to buy a $200 one and replace it after two years. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #13,211 of 16,931
I think im gonna get the 9927's, they're just the 8320's in black right? They seem like the best option for me, but it's definitely gonna be an upgrade from my current iems because their cable is broken and I have to move it around to get sound.

And thanks Joker for your defication to this thread. :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #13,212 of 16,931
I think im gonna get the 9927's, they're just the 8320's in black right? They seem like the best option for me, but it's definitely gonna be an upgrade from my current iems because their cable is broken and I have to move it around to get sound.

And thanks Joker for your defication to this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Defication???
I'll assume dedication...

Anyways:

What will you be upgrading from?

Have you checked this?
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones-under-30/

I got both the 9927 (previous choice for under $30) and the Panasonic RP-TCM125 (current) and both sound very good. My only problem with the 9927 is the comfort. The housing size was too big for my ear. The cable was tangle prone.

The TCM125 has a mic and a single button, better cable and with 90 degree angle plug.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #13,213 of 16,931
Is it possible to get an electrostatic IEM? I ask because the frequency response is apparently completely neutral. If not now maybe somewhere down the line?

The only that exist to my knowledge are those from Stax, the SR-001, 002, and 003 which I believe are all still in production.  The SR-002 is the only one that comes with a portable amp and it is the latest in their 'in-ear' lineup so you may want to read up on them.  Of the reviews I've read and measurements I've seen, they are said to be soft on both ends, perhaps not the best extension...warm and smooth signature.  So, depending on what sound you're after they could be a good fit...but technically speaking it doesn't seem up to spec with modern dynamic and BA IEMs.  Those looking specifically for a e-stat sound, this is pretty much the only portable option.  Also note they are open back, so isolation is going to be pretty low.

http://www.headfonia.com/baby-stax-take-2-stax-sr-002/

Also, there are some measurements out there on both the SR-002 and SR-003 on various reviewer sites.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #13,214 of 16,931
Defication???
I'll assume dedication...

Anyways:

What will you be upgrading from?

Have you checked this?
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones-under-30/

I got both the 9927 (previous choice for under $30) and the Panasonic RP-TCM125 (current) and both sound very good. My only problem with the 9927 is the comfort. The housing size was too big for my ear. The cable was tangle prone.

The TCM125 has a mic and a single button, better cable and with 90 degree angle plug.

I'm upgrading from some cheap IEM's from iHip, they are gold and I believe are made of aluminum. And I looked at the differences between the 9927 and the TCM125, and the panasonics look compelling, but I think I'll still be getting the 9927's. But, hey. What's the worst that could happen? I lose $10, or I have something to sell/give to my friends.

P.S. I did mean dedication :) lol

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #13,215 of 16,931
  Hisound BA100 is discounted in China to $16!! So, using Taobao agents, it could be purchased for about $25.
http://s.taobao.com/search?initiative_id=staobaoz_20140312&js=1&q=ba100&stats_click=search_radio_all%3A1
Value 10, isn't it?

Sure that's a genuine HiSound unit and not a knockoff with dynamic drivers? That’s pretty cheap for a BA earphone in general, never mind one that’s not on the lowest rung of the BA ladder.

Is it possible to get an electrostatic IEM? I ask because the frequency response is apparently completely neutral. If not now maybe somewhere down the line?

I tried out a set of STAX SR-003mkII IEMs at CES this year. They were pretty good and had a very airy sound but I wouldn't say they are miles ahead of conventional IEMs in a similar price range, See here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-2-audio-technica-stax-beyerdynamic-and-more/ 

And thanks Joker for your defication to this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny typo.

Yes, the 9927 should be just a black version of the 8320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back