Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 22, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #13,022 of 16,931
  hey will you review in the future the Noble Audio K10 i read that its the next big thing in the level of Roxanne JH13 or better i only imagine myself that if 4S get to the top of the chart what will k10 will do !!!

I doubt I'll get a go at the K10. 

I shouldn't have asked that question because now I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and get the 750 although  they are 3x the price of the FXD80 even though they look better, and have 3x the warranty :p

I looked at your review for the 750 and I noticed that someone asked you to compare them to the FXD and you said the 750 overall have more bass, but are warmer.

My question is what does that actually mean? In order to see what sound signatures I like I've been playing around with the EQ (although that probably wont do that good seeing as my headphones arent neutral) and I often find myself bumping the higher end (I guess it's more sparkly and brighter), as well as the areas around the 250-500Hz (I don't know hwo to describe it, but when I go back to normal, everything feels kinda empty), so I'm not sure what that means/

If it's likely to help, my mate has just bought himself some A161Ps which I could have a listen to as well. 

What types of music are warm headphones more suited to? 

Thanks so much!

Warm is just a preference - many people think a warm tonal character sounds more natural, or at least more "rich". All other things equal a set with more bass will sound warmer than one with less bass. 

Definitely have a listen to the A161P - it's pretty close to neutral and may give you a slightly better idea of what you do or don't like.

Hi, I'm new too the IEM side. I have decent bookshelf speakers and a sub for 2.1 system. I prefer a neutral sound, leaning towards the warmer side. I'm trying to decide between the Logitech UE 700 (Heard it has less silibance than the UE 700). Also considering the etymotic hf5, TDK ba200. Which one is better? I am open to other suggestions, but want Good fit, preferably compact fit , and decent looks.

The UE700 and HF5 are not warm-leaning at all in my opinion. The BA200 is better for what you seem to be after, or even the sub-$100 RE-400 from HiFiMan. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #13,023 of 16,931
Hey joker! Nice to see you're still truckin. As usual your reviews are fantastic and are quite comprehensive. I've used this thread a boatload of times as a gold standard when recommending IEMs to my friends who are just getting into higher quality headphones.

My question for you - have you encountered anything that's basically an upgraded version of the RE262 (specifically, extension at both ends and detail in the treble)? I've skimmed over most of your sub-250 IEMs and didn't see anything that would do the trick, or looked large, awkward, and low on comfort. From what I can tell the RE-400 is what comes the closest, but it's more of a mix between the RE-ZERO and the RE-262. Any other alternatives? Thanks!

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #13,026 of 16,931
  Hey joker! Nice to see you're still truckin. As usual your reviews are fantastic and are quite comprehensive. I've used this thread a boatload of times as a gold standard when recommending IEMs to my friends who are just getting into higher quality headphones.

My question for you - have you encountered anything that's basically an upgraded version of the RE262 (specifically, extension at both ends and detail in the treble)? I've skimmed over most of your sub-250 IEMs and didn't see anything that would do the trick, or looked large, awkward, and low on comfort. From what I can tell the RE-400 is what comes the closest, but it's more of a mix between the RE-ZERO and the RE-262. Any other alternatives? Thanks!

Thanks!

The RE-600 would be a slightly better option than the RE-400 for this, though it is loads more expensive. TDK BA200 is good for that slightly-warmer-than-neutral sound with good end-to-end extension. Sony MDR-7550 is good. too. Would call either a clear RE262 upgrade but they fit your reqs.

Two fast questions for our gran visir ljokerl: what should be a sound rating for: 1) Xiaomi Piston 2.0 2) Apple Earpods (bundled with Iphone). Thanks.

I haven't tried the Piston.

I have tried the earpods and thought the sound was a little worse than with the Monoprice 8320 so probably somewhere in the low 7.x range. 

ljokerl, any chance of a review of the JH Audio Roxanne in the near future?

JH Audio used to reply to my emails but doesn't anymore so... probably not. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #13,028 of 16,931
No worries ljokerl...Too bad for JH Audio then...their loss. In fact I was so impressed with your review of the JH13 Pro that I went and test the universal version of JH13 pro (universal version is not for sale...demo purpose only). I'm so impressed that I'm about to take the plunge on a universal Roxanne (because JH Audio won't sell universal version of JH13 Pro) but was waiting for your "seal of approval" before taking the plunge. Too bad I can't test the universal Roxanne yet because JH Audio is so slow in responding to our local distributor so I guess I'll just put it on hold until I can test it. Apparently they're very slow in replying their emails...I was told. Not a very good sign for business.

Then again, there's the Noble K10....

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #13,030 of 16,931
  Joker, my hero, any chance you've tried the new Audio Technica line? Specifically the IM02. 

Or if anyone has comparisons to some of the TWFK's...

Sorry, the only new Audio-Technica release I've tried is the CKX5.

Joker, how does the RHA MA750s bass compare to the Monster Turbine Pros?

Pretty similar bass quantity and quality but the Turbines tend to smoother at the top so there's a tendency to listen to them at higher volumes, which of course increases the perceived bass impact.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #13,032 of 16,931

PFEs with grey filters might be a good choice for your criteria if you have a powerful source like X3.

+1 ozkan... Phonak PFE012 with grey filters sounds amazing. Very hard to beat at that price.

Hard to believe I would get near the bass impact I am looking for out of these. Can this really be an option?

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #13,033 of 16,931

Hard to believe I would get near the bass impact I am looking for out of these. Can this really be an option?

I've never heard the 750 but if the bass quantity is similar to Monster Turbines the Phonaks will not have anywhere near that amount of bass quantity. The Phonaks are a great all-rounder with a lot of good qualities, detail, and extension, but if you're looking for sub-bass quantity I don't think they'll fit your requirements, even with the bass filters.

Before reading joker's recommendation for you I thought the Dunu DN1000 and Yamaha EPH-100 could both be good alternatives to the 750 sound signature, so points for me I guess for being on the same wavelength as joker.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #13,034 of 16,931

I've never heard the 750 but if the bass quantity is similar to Monster Turbines the Phonaks will not have anywhere near that amount of bass quantity. The Phonaks are a great all-rounder with a lot of good qualities, detail, and extension, but if you're looking for sub-bass quantity I don't think they'll fit your requirements, even with the bass filters.

Before reading joker's recommendation for you I thought the Dunu DN1000 and Yamaha EPH-100 could both be good alternatives to the 750 sound signature, so points for me I guess for being on the same wavelength as joker.

That was my thought as well. I forgot to add one caveat to my requirements a I have started this research over the weekend: I need iPhone Mic and controls. The Dunu and Yamaha are not going to get me those. This is turning out to be tougher than I thought. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #13,035 of 16,931
  That was my thought as well. I forgot to add one caveat to my requirements a I have started this research over the weekend: I need iPhone Mic and controls. The Dunu and Yamaha are not going to get me those. This is turning out to be tougher than I thought. 

If you are willing to sacrifice inherent subbass levels, you *could* try something like the Phonaks (which were extremely comfortable for me) and just boosting levels through an EQ or something like the Digizoid ZO. I'm not a fan of EQs myself but it's an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back