Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 21, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #13,006 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

Maybe this has been asked before, but what are the songs you used for testing the iems ?
Would you mind to share?

To show my gratitude, here are the iems were purchased and to be purchased just based on your review :
-Phonak pfe012 for myself ( Love it, But somehow, I have upgarded to Heir Audio 4.ai after 2years of using pfe012 )
-Vsonic GR07 for my wife ( She really loves them, but sadly the right side of this iems has died )
-Vsonic VC02 for my lil sister ( She likes it for the relaxing sound produced by these iems )
-Vsonic GR06 for my lil brother ( He likes it, and now...  I have just placed an order Dunu DN1000 for him after reading your review ).

From a happy thread follower.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #13,008 of 16,931
Hi,

can you guys give me some recommendations? I´m looking for:

- TONS of kickbass (low-mid and mid-bass). Everything under 50Hz will be dialed down via EQ, so sub-bass is no big deal but I wouldn`t complain either.
- Suitable for long listening sessions: Mids and Highs shouldn`t be too agressive or overly analytic.
- Good sound stage
- Price ~50$
- Compact case size if possible

These caught my eye:
- Signature Acoustics Elements C-12 (looks promising sound wise but the case might be a bit too big)
- Sonic GR02 Bass Edition (Maybe not enough kickbass? And I saw some people complaining about the highs being a bit too harsh)

I mostly listen to RHCP, all kinds of rock and pop.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #13,009 of 16,931
  Hi,

- TONS of kickbass (low-mid and mid-bass). Everything under 50Hz will be dialed down via EQ, so sub-bass is no big deal but I wouldn`t complain either.
- Suitable for long listening sessions: Mids and Highs shouldn`t be too agressive or overly analytic.
- Good sound stage
- Price ~50$

These caught my eye:
- Signature Acoustics Elements C-12 (looks promising sound wise but the case might be a bit too big)
- Sonic GR02 Bass Edition (Maybe not enough kickbass? And I saw some people complaining about the highs being a bit too harsh)

i think you can consider ah-c100 , after 50 hrs of burning , they are close to your requirements . may be prefect . tons of good quality bass , nice sound stage , price is like $45 , compact case too with comply tips , and not the cheaper one , its a tx-400 , i have it , nice one , and has a mic with 3 control buttons . not heavy at all , and strong cable , joker had a bad experience with denon , he wont even try one .

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #13,010 of 16,931
  What are IEMs like for gaming?

most professional player actually use 2-3 set of headphone at once, they hang the headset on their neck just for their microphone, wears IEM to hear commands and alerts from teammates , since they commonly use IEM from other manufacturer than their sponsor, they can cover it with the aforementioned headset , or if playing a noisy and open stage , noise isolation only headphones

as for the difference between IEM and headphone, it will mostly be on smaller soundstage

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #13,011 of 16,931
Hey, I'm still here :p and for some reason scared to actually go and buy the JVC FXD80. I remember you said you preferred the A161P - is that just because you like a more balanced sound?

I've sort of asked this question before, but would I be better off in any way if I were to spend a little more and get a more expensive headphone (preferably with a mic, not too bothered about 1 or 3 button) ?

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #13,012 of 16,931
I give up on IEMs. I've tried all sorts of tips and they all hurt after a very short while. Then the other day someone gave me a free Final Audio Design Adagio II which I believe is at the low end of its range and I am shocked. It's so comfortable. Based on my untrained ears is it because the Adagio seems to have a very short plastic tip? From what I can see of quite a lot of IEMs the plastic tip (or metal depending on the IEM of course) seems quite near the end of the rubber or silicone tip but in the case of the Adagio II it is a further distance away. Can more experienced IEM users enlighten me? This could be the start of my IEM search. Thanks.

I have an Adagio III and I think it’s very comfortable, but more likely a combination of the really light weight (of both the earpieces and the cable) and the skinny design that doesn’t push against any part of the ear when worn. They also don’t need to be inserted very deeply, it appears.

Hi Joker,

Maybe this has been asked before, but what are the songs you used for testing the iems ?
Would you mind to share?

To show my gratitude, here are the iems were purchased and to be purchased just based on your review :
-Phonak pfe012 for myself ( Love it, But somehow, I have upgarded to Heir Audio 4.ai after 2years of using pfe012 )
-Vsonic GR07 for my wife ( She really loves them, but sadly the right side of this iems has died )
-Vsonic VC02 for my lil sister ( She likes it for the relaxing sound produced by these iems )
-Vsonic GR06 for my lil brother ( He likes it, and now...  I have just placed an order Dunu DN1000 for him after reading your review ).

From a happy thread follower.

I have a folder of selected test tracks but they comprise maybe 20% of my listening during reviews. Most of the time I just have my collection on shuffle and end up swapping between the headphones I’m comparing back and forth across as many tracks as I need to get a good impression of sound differences.

That’s not to say I don’t have favorites – I posted some of my fave albums on InnerFidelity here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/more-less-vsonic-vsd1-and-vsd1s#comment-490645

Hi,

- Good sound stage
- Price ~50$

These caught my eye:

I would say Padacs Aksent but it seems to be out of stock. The GR02 BE may not have enough mid-bass and definitely can be a little harsh. ATH-CKM500 is better for what you’re after on both counts and looks to be around $55 on amazon. It’s still a little harsh but not as bad as the GR02 and has better overall sound quality.

C12 is also an option – not quite as good as the CKM500 or GR02 but it has lots of mid-bass and sounds okay overall. It comes with a very compact leather case so no problem there.

i think you can consider ah-c100 , after 50 hrs of burning , they are close to your requirements . may be prefect . tons of good quality bass , nice sound stage , price is like $45 , compact case too with comply tips , and not the cheaper one , its a tx-400 , i have it , nice one , and has a mic with 3 control buttons . not heavy at all , and strong cable , joker had a bad experience with denon , he wont even try one .

That’s not entirely true – I just thought the C260 or whatever the last one I reviewed was, was crap. I would try another Denon IEM – just not going to go out and buy one.

Hey, I'm still here
tongue.gif
and for some reason scared to actually go and buy the JVC FXD80. I remember you said you preferred the A161P - is that just because you like a more balanced sound?

I've sort of asked this question before, but would I be better off in any way if I were to spend a little more and get a more expensive headphone (preferably with a mic, not too bothered about 1 or 3 button) ?

Yes, I liked the more balanced sound of the A161P.

Spending more is always a personal choice. Above the price range you're looking at things like the Etymotic HF3 (for balanced sound) and RHA MA750 for bass-heavy sound. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #13,014 of 16,931

I could only find the ah-c101 in my area and the price is at ~100$...

So in general, which ones are the punchiest low-mid to mid-bass hitters on the market?

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #13,015 of 16,931

I could only find the ah-c101 in my area and the price is at ~100$...

So in general, which ones are the punchiest low-mid to mid-bass hitters on the market?

if you are after heavy loads of bass , c-12 can do mid bass , you can opt for c-101 , its the same thing , i find c-100 a bit balanced compared to cc51 .

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #13,017 of 16,931
Can I use my relatively expensive IEM when I workoout without damaging it badly?

In addition to physical duress, I'd be very concerned about the effects of sweat. The salts in sweat are very corrosive!

I personally would not use a pricey set of IEMs for working out. Rather, I'd get a less valuable set specifically for the gym.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #13,018 of 16,931

Spending more is always a personal choice. Above the price range you're looking at things like the Etymotic HF3 (for balanced sound) and RHA MA750 for bass-heavy sound. 

I shouldn't have asked that question because now I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and get the 750 although  they are 3x the price of the FXD80 even though they look better, and have 3x the warranty :p

I looked at your review for the 750 and I noticed that someone asked you to compare them to the FXD and you said the 750 overall have more bass, but are warmer.

My question is what does that actually mean? In order to see what sound signatures I like I've been playing around with the EQ (although that probably wont do that good seeing as my headphones arent neutral) and I often find myself bumping the higher end (I guess it's more sparkly and brighter), as well as the areas around the 250-500Hz (I don't know hwo to describe it, but when I go back to normal, everything feels kinda empty), so I'm not sure what that means/

If it's likely to help, my mate has just bought himself some A161Ps which I could have a listen to as well. 

What types of music are warm headphones more suited to? 

Thanks so much!

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #13,019 of 16,931
Hi, I'm new too the IEM side. I have decent bookshelf speakers and a sub for 2.1 system. I prefer a neutral sound, leaning towards the warmer side. I'm trying to decide between the Logitech UE 700 (Heard it has less silibance than the UE 700). Also considering the etymotic hf5, TDK ba200. Which one is better? I am open to other suggestions, but want Good fit, preferably compact fit , and decent looks.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #13,020 of 16,931
Hi, I'm new too the IEM side. I have decent bookshelf speakers and a sub for 2.1 system. I prefer a neutral sound, leaning towards the warmer side. I'm trying to decide between the Logitech UE 700 (Heard it has less silibance than the UE 700). Also considering the etymotic hf5, TDK ba200. Which one is better? I am open to other suggestions, but want Good fit, preferably compact fit , and decent looks.

Tdk Ba200 is the warmest sounding IEM of your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back