Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #12,151 of 16,931
Hey Joker!

Regarding the VC1000, have yours suffered any damage so far? Because the main thread has several complaints on the drivers cutting out from time to time. It sounds pretty solid for the price, but if it is prone to damage i probably would not consider it.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #12,152 of 16,931
Interested in the isolation performance of acrylic customs vs universals too. Used to own etys and about to own my first customs :L3000:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #12,153 of 16,931
The isolation is pretty comparable to Westone iems. I think it's slightly better but not at the level of an Etymotic.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #12,154 of 16,931
The PFE was one of the best earphones in that price range so it's not going to be easy to match.  
The BA100 has much more in common with a gray-filtered PFE than a green-filtered one, so it's not a good fit for you. Your best bet might be the SteelSeries Flux In-Ear Pro that's currently on sale for $75 (normally $120 or so). It's still a little more neutral than the 022 (green filters) but the bass quantity shouldn't be far behind and it's got the right form factor and feature set for you, plus very smooth treble. 

Other options would be
-Shure SE215 - over-the-ear form factor, mic available as optional accessory, but has more bass than 022 and isn't quite as comfortable for me
-SteelSeries Flux (non-Pro) - these have the right amount of bass (more than the Flux Pro, a little more than the PFE022) but have a conventional form factor (can be worn over-the-ear, but not as easily as the Flux Pro) and a slightly more v-shaped sound to them. They're just $25 on sale right now, though
-Sony MH1C - better signature match than SE215 with even smoother treble but again might be too bassy for you, like the Shures, and can't really be worn over-the-ear

Joker, you are a man among men.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I very well may go with the Flux Pros.

One question, if I ditch the mic/button, where does the RE 400 lie?  As to bass, it sounds like it's in the realm I'm considering, sound-stage is fantastic, my only worry is whether the highs will sparkle too much and cause fatigue with longer listening sessions.  I will probably use these often during the upcoming tax season after hours :wink:  I'm not a hardcore audiophile (yet, right?), but I do value fidelity.  I may be willing to sacrifice a little bit of my favoring the warm sound signature, but I'm paranoid about sound fatigue.  What are your thoughts there?

I very much appreciate your help and value your opinion.  This thread is basically my IEM bible. Thanks again!

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #12,155 of 16,931
i was wondering about the Audio Technica CKM500's cable.
how bad the microphonics are?
is the cable bouncy? i hate how bouncy my id America Spark's cable is... it really makes the
noise issue a lot worse.
i'm trying to decide between Shure SE215 and CKM500, but only based on fit.
i read some people are saying the Shure keeps falling out of the ear and the memory-wire
has to be really pressed around the ear.
and than theres the CKM500 which people say exhibit severe microphonics...

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #12,156 of 16,931
Joker,

I appreciate your help, I saw mention of a coupon code on Audeo's in the deal thread.  Just ordered a pair of PFE 022's for $59.40 shipped (40% off code)...crazy deal.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-perfect-bass-microphone.html

Thanks for your help, I can't justify $100 for the RE400s or even $75 for the Flux when I already know I love these buds for $60.

I do have one question, could you place the green filters into the 122s?  If so, what would be the advantage over the 022s?  After the 40% discount, those are $96 shipped.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12,157 of 16,931
Noble Audio (founded by The Wizard and team, previously of Heir Audio) unveiled their universal-fit lineup today with 3-, 4-, 5-, and 6-driver models ranging in price from $350 to $999. 

In addition, a 20% off black friday promotion for all Noble Audio earphones (custom and universal) was announced. More info here.

My review of the Noble 4S will be up within a day or two.

Hey Joker!

Regarding the VC1000, have yours suffered any damage so far? Because the main thread has several complaints on the drivers cutting out from time to time. It sounds pretty solid for the price, but if it is prone to damage i probably would not consider it.

No issues with my VC1000, I still use it pretty often. If you want a TWFK that's well-built I still recommend the DBA-02 mkII, though.

Interested in the isolation performance of acrylic customs vs universals too. Used to own etys and about to own my first customs 
L3000.gif

What rawrster said - acrylic customs don't really isolate at the Etymotic level. There's a little bit more variation to it than just shell material, though - first off, some customs fit tighter than others, whether due to the process used to manufacture them or the initial impressions. Second, they vary a lot in canal length. Some are specifically built with a "musician's fit" - i.e. with the canal portion extended to the second bend of the ear canal. A few manufacturers give you the option to have a comfort fit or musician's fit. etc. The units that extend to the second bend, such as my Hidition NT 6 and Clear Tune Monitors WLS-5, definitely isolate better.

i was wondering about the Audio Technica CKM500's cable.
how bad the microphonics are?
is the cable bouncy? i hate how bouncy my id America Spark's cable is... it really makes the
noise issue a lot worse.
i'm trying to decide between Shure SE215 and CKM500, but only based on fit.
i read some people are saying the Shure keeps falling out of the ear and the memory-wire
has to be really pressed around the ear.
and than theres the CKM500 which people say exhibit severe microphonics...

Microphonics are similar to the Spark. Not very good, if that type of thing bothers you.

Joker,

I appreciate your help, I saw mention of a coupon code on Audeo's in the deal thread.  Just ordered a pair of PFE 022's for $59.40 shipped (40% off code)...crazy deal.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-perfect-bass-microphone.html

Thanks for your help, I can't justify $100 for the RE400s or even $75 for the Flux when I already know I love these buds for $60.

I do have one question, could you place the green filters into the 122s?  If so, what would be the advantage over the 022s?  After the 40% discount, those are $96 shipped.

Good deal.

Yes, you can put green filters on the 122, which is why Phonak's pricing didn't make a lot of sense. Basically 
-022: you get the green filters and pretty much no other accessories
-122: you get the more "Hi-Fi" gray and black filters and much more tips, accessories, etc., along with nicer packaging. 

If you buy a 022 you can still get the gray/black filters separately and save some $$ over the 122, but it won't be much and you won't have the extra tips, case, etc. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #12,158 of 16,931
Hi |joker|,

I have a question I feel you may be well equipped to answer due to your extensive experience with many headphones. I have MTPCs, and I know it's difficult to compare IEMs with Full-sized headphones...But do you think the sound signature difference between the MTPC and Sennheiser HD598 (open-circumaural; wide soundstage) would be expectedly drastic? I recently got my MTPCs back after they've been broken for a year and coming from the HD598s to the MTPCs have been quite shocking. It almost feels like the sound quality is so bad on the MTPCs that I'm wondering if it's damaged. It sounds so "muffled". I'm trying to get my brain to get used to these IEMs again. Could it be the ones with control talk have worse sound quality? I appreciate any wisdom or comments regarding this issue, but understand that you may not remember enough to compare the two. Thanks. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #12,159 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

if you had to give the VSD1S/VSD1 a sound score what would it be? secondly, are the mids as recessed and treble as harsh as people say it is? and how good are these compared to the R02 Silver?

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #12,160 of 16,931
  Hi |joker|,

I have a question I feel you may be well equipped to answer due to your extensive experience with many headphones. I have MTPCs, and I know it's difficult to compare IEMs with Full-sized headphones...But do you think the sound signature difference between the MTPC and Sennheiser HD598 (open-circumaural; wide soundstage) would be expectedly drastic? I recently got my MTPCs back after they've been broken for a year and coming from the HD598s to the MTPCs have been quite shocking. It almost feels like the sound quality is so bad on the MTPCs that I'm wondering if it's damaged. It sounds so "muffled". I'm trying to get my brain to get used to these IEMs again. Could it be the ones with control talk have worse sound quality? I appreciate any wisdom or comments regarding this issue, but understand that you may not remember enough to compare the two. Thanks. 

I think between those two it will more be down to signature than headphone vs earphone. The MTPC is a warm, enhanced-bass unit while the HD598, from what I understand, is pretty balanced. I've never listened to it for an extended period of time, though, so I can't comment firsthand, but my guess is a balanced-sounding in-ear will sound better to you coming from an HD598.

Controltalk can only be a problem if you're using a device that doesn't support it and the 4-pole 3.5mm plug is not lining up properly with the headphone jack on your device. 

Hi Joker,

if you had to give the VSD1S/VSD1 a sound score what would it be? secondly, are the mids as recessed and treble as harsh as people say it is? and how good are these compared to the R02 Silver?

Around the SteelSeries Flux level, +/- 0.1. It's a slightly v-shaped signature and like most VSonics the treble is not entirely smooth, so yes, I can see people saying that the treble is harsh and the mids are recessed. Then again, the same treble characteristic is a problem with the GR07 as well and it's well-loved at $100+, so it'll really depend on who you ask.

The R02 silver sounds very different - smoother treble, less enhanced and more rolled-off bass, and a bump in the upper midrange. It doesn't really sound like a VSonic product to be honest. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #12,161 of 16,931

I'd be curious as to your thoughts. Hopefully I'm not crazy with these - the few people who did buy them on my recommendation (at full price) seemed pleased, but there's certainly no hype or buzz or whatnot, which is almost too bad. I still use these with my phone because the MH1C's cable bugs me.  

You, sir are spot on with your review. Here are a few of your quotes that I agree with:

"The bass is not enhanced enough for the Flux to sound bloated – in fact, it is only a touch more boomy compared to the pricier and more neutral-sounding RE-400 and VSonic GR07"
 -I always look at the bass as how it's presented on the overall sound. I sense it as a half-step forward than the midrange.

"The midrange of the Flux is among clearest I’ve heard in the price range and maintains a neutral-to-warm tone."
 -Vocals are nice and clear. Nice.

"The top end is extended, has good energy, and sounds mostly smooth, with just a bit of grain compared to higher-end sets such as the Flux In-Ear Pro, UE 600, and HiFiMan RE-400"
 -I am enjoying the top end on the Flux. Less splashy than the GR07BE but still prominent enough to hear. Not sibilant to my ears.

My only negatives:
*the straight plug - I prefer L-plugs
*I'm not liking the sticky, rubbery cable. It would have been nice if it had the feel of the XBA-4 flat cable.

But overall, I like these especially at $25.

Thanks, Joker

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #12,162 of 16,931

You, sir are spot on with your review. Here are a few of your quotes that I agree with:

"The bass is not enhanced enough for the Flux to sound bloated – in fact, it is only a touch more boomy compared to the pricier and more neutral-sounding RE-400 and VSonic GR07"
 -I always look at the bass as how it's presented on the overall sound. I sense it as a half-step forward than the midrange.

"The midrange of the Flux is among clearest I’ve heard in the price range and maintains a neutral-to-warm tone."
 -Vocals are nice and clear. Nice.

"The top end is extended, has good energy, and sounds mostly smooth, with just a bit of grain compared to higher-end sets such as the Flux In-Ear Pro, UE 600, and HiFiMan RE-400"
 -I am enjoying the top end on the Flux. Less splashy than the GR07BE but still prominent enough to hear. Not sibilant to my ears.

My only negatives:
*the straight plug - I prefer L-plugs
*I'm not liking the sticky, rubbery cable. It would have been nice if it had the feel of the XBA-4 flat cable.

But overall, I like these especially at $25.

Thanks, Joker

Thanks, appreciate the impressions. Glad you like them 
beerchug.gif

To be honest there's very few flat cables I actually like. The Sony ones are good, as is the one on the Moe SS01 (but it's so narrow it barely qualifies as a flat cable at all). More often than not they are a nuisance and sometimes add unnecessary weight to the earphones. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #12,163 of 16,931
joker,

what would you reccomend as an upgrade to a brainwavz B2/ fischer audio dba 02 ?
looking for IEMs with good clarity. my current b2 is a little loose on the right ear as a slight touch on the wire would cause a disturbance / loss in sound momentarily.

many thanks

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #12,164 of 16,931

Thanks, appreciate the impressions. Glad you like them 
beerchug.gif

To be honest there's very few flat cables I actually like. The Sony ones are good, as is the one on the Moe SS01 (but it's so narrow it barely qualifies as a flat cable at all). More often than not they are a nuisance and sometimes add unnecessary weight to the earphones. 

The Onkyo IE-FC300 has a very good quality flat cable as does part of the Torque t103z.  Of course neither earphone can be worn over the ears but I find the flat cables help to minimize microphonics and give the appearance of long term strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back