Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #11,251 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker,

Thank you for your response.

GR06 came and although I was really impressed with the packaging and general feel I'm not too sure about the sound. I mean it sounds very nice and pleasant, but it lacks character; It's somewhat boring to me. I like the balance it produces but I wish it had more of everything. I spend some hours comparing them to N3i, MEElectronics CW31P, A161P and some stock earphones and to me they are closest to CW31P but noticeably better.

At the end I decided to follow your recommendation and ordered LG Quadbeat to see what are they like. I wander how would GR07BE compare to A161P, does it make sense to upgrade from GR06 to them?

The real reference for me at the moment are A161P which are by far the best sounding earphones I have access to but I have to admit I very much enjoy N3i in some tracks.
How would you describe sound signature of N3i are they v-shaped?

Cheers
Mleko

More of everything like... louder
redface.gif

Anyway, the GR06 is not an overly colored earphone, though more so than the A161P. The A161P is the most accurate of everything you have by a margin. The N3i I would characterize as warm and bassy. It's a very nice-sounding earphone, just lacking a little in clarity. The way up from that would be something like a Yamaha EPH-100. 

The LG Quadbeat is more v-shaped (less bass, more treble than N3i and more of both than A161P). It's still pretty well-balanced, though. I guess we'll see if you like it as a compromise. It has one thing the GR06 lacks - a wider and airier soundstage. 

Quote:
This guide - although really useful - has left me really confused. I'm looking for some IEMs for when I'm on my bike, and when I'm out as I prefer not to have my Bose On Ears if I'm not at home. 

I had some JVC XX's, which I thought were very good, although a bit lacking in the trebles...

So far, Ive got my eyes on the VSonic GR02BE, but now I've also found the Astrotec AM800, MEElectronics SP51, and the RHA MA350 (mainly because I don't have to ship it in, and I get a long 3 year warranty).

Can anyone help me?

(sorry if this should be somewhere else, but I posted it here as  it's relating to this thread, and the other thread I posted in was relating to the GR06 vs GR02)

Hmm...  those all sound slightly different. The SP51 and AM-800 are more balanced, though still with slight bass emphasis. The AM-800 has some emphasis on treble as well whereas with the SP51 it depends on which tuning port you use. The GR02BE and MA-350 are better if you want to maintain the heavy bass of your JVC XX. Of the two, the GR02 gas more treble emphasis whereas the MA-350 is more smooth level the midrange up. If you like some treble emphasis, which it seems like you do, I would go for the AM-800 for more balanced overall sound or the GR02BE for a more bass-heavy (but still not as bassy as a JVC XX) sound signature. 

Quote:
Not sure if you're doing it on purpose but everything you answer one of my questions, you make the Miracles sound absolutely amazing for me. Well I should get them today or tomorrow and then off to inearz they go. Can't wait till I get my first set of customs fitted to my ears :)

Also, I am trying not to play the numbers game but in the back of my mind it always seem better to have more drivers, hence why I asked about the 2 CIEM haha

Well, the Miracle is one of my favorite earphones 
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #11,252 of 16,931
Quote:

More of everything like... louder
redface.gif

Anyway, the GR06 is not an overly colored earphone, though more so than the A161P. The A161P is the most accurate of everything you have by a margin. The N3i I would characterize as warm and bassy. It's a very nice-sounding earphone, just lacking a little in clarity. The way up from that would be something like a Yamaha EPH-100. 

The LG Quadbeat is more v-shaped (less bass, more treble than N3i and more of both than A161P). It's still pretty well-balanced, though. I guess we'll see if you like it as a compromise. It has one thing the GR06 lacks - a wider and airier soundstage. 

Louder! Ha ha ha, yes it crossed my mind. :wink:

What I meant was the sound wasn't clear enough, wide enough, crisp enough etc. I don't think colored earphone is what I'm looking for though. A161P is great I use it all the time and love it, just reading this forum you (and others) made me think it could be better.
N3i is too bassy for my taste in most tracks but I find it amazing in some. Not better than A161P but different enough so I can appreciate the same track in completely different way. 

This makes me think that maybe one set of IEM is not enough for me? Do you change them for different albums / type of music or do you have an ultimate set which is close to perfect in everything? For the record I've no interest in going above $100-$150. :wink: Not yet anyway.

I'm trying to define my taste as well thus my (probably naive) questions.

Is there a point in comparing GR07/BE and A161P?

I'll wait for LG to arrive and come back with more questions I guess. :)

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #11,253 of 16,931
I'm kind of going on the comparison that you've made between the GR06 and Quadbeats. I have the Quadbeats, and while I enjoy it, I can't help but wonder if there is something with the wide soundstage and slightly better depth and mids. Is that even possible, does less prominant mids equate to better sense of distance. I was wondering if there is something under $100 with those attributes. IEMs such as VSD1(s) and RE-400s come to mind. I love what the Quadbeats put out with ambiance and a sense of width, but, I long for something that's more engaging while still having a decent stage and better depth without weaker mids.

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #11,254 of 16,931
@Joker (CBA to edit the quote on my phone)
Thanks for the help!
As I said before, I liked the bass on the XX but it was a little 'boomy', which is why I'm not going for a 'extreme bass' IEM. I think you've ruled the others out for me, and then, out of the GR02BE and AM800 it gets a bit more difficult-bass vs treble, but I guess if the Am800 aren't going to be 'lacking' in the lower end, they'd probably be better overall - I'm used to my Bose On Ears and whenever I listen to music on anything else, I often find I'm appreciating the high notes more than the bass, but I still like that bass to be present (I listen to a bit of dubstep and the like)
Still recommend the AM800? If you do, would you say that I should be fine with the included tips or should I get some other ones?

Thanks again!

Edit: I've just realised that you're the one who reviewed these IEMs in the OP, sorry! You mention a slight difference in bass (which makes me think I can live with it) but is the noise isolation that bad? (compared to the gr02)

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #11,255 of 16,931
Quote:
Louder! Ha ha ha, yes it crossed my mind. :wink:

What I meant was the sound wasn't clear enough, wide enough, crisp enough etc. I don't think colored earphone is what I'm looking for though. A161P is great I use it all the time and love it, just reading this forum you (and others) made me think it could be better.
N3i is too bassy for my taste in most tracks but I find it amazing in some. Not better than A161P but different enough so I can appreciate the same track in completely different way. 

This makes me think that maybe one set of IEM is not enough for me? Do you change them for different albums / type of music or do you have an ultimate set which is close to perfect in everything? For the record I've no interest in going above $100-$150. :wink: Not yet anyway.

I'm trying to define my taste as well thus my (probably naive) questions.

Is there a point in comparing GR07/BE and A161P?

I'll wait for LG to arrive and come back with more questions I guess. :)

Cheers!

I use a couple of IEMs but most often it's to match what I'm doing rather than the music I'm listening to. For example, I often use the K3003 out and about because it has a mic and lower isolation than my customs. I generally like the sound signatures of everything I use.

The GR07BE compares well to the A161P - more bass and treble for a more v-shaped signature but still on the accurate side compared to something like the N3i. I did A:B the GR07BE with the GR06 and found it to be more coherent and more natural, clearer, especially in the midrange, and more well-separated. Compared to the GR07 BE, the GR06 sounds uneven and congested, with an unnatural, plasticky timbre.

Anyway, I think trying the LG and seeing if you like the signature is a good idea before ordering anything else.

Quote:
I'm kind of going on the comparison that you've made between the GR06 and Quadbeats. I have the Quadbeats, and while I enjoy it, I can't help but wonder if there is something with the wide soundstage and slightly better depth and mids. Is that even possible, does less prominant mids equate to better sense of distance. I was wondering if there is something under $100 with those attributes. IEMs such as VSD1(s) and RE-400s come to mind. I love what the Quadbeats put out with ambiance and a sense of width, but, I long for something that's more engaging while still having a decent stage and better depth without weaker mids.

You are correct, the wide soundstage of the Quadbeat is a result of the v-shaped signature and somewhat withdrawn mids. This is the case with a lot of other earphones with similar signatures - the UE500, for example, and the T-Peos H-100. If you want more intimate mids, you'll have to give up some of that presentation. The VSD1 (or maybe VSD1S - have yet to compare the two) is a good compromise, though it still has slight midrange recession (but a warmer, fuller overall tone). The RE-400 is more mid-centric and probably not something to recommend if you like the Quadbeat for its sense of space. 

Quote:
@Joker (CBA to edit the quote on my phone)
Thanks for the help!
As I said before, I liked the bass on the XX but it was a little 'boomy', which is why I'm not going for a 'extreme bass' IEM. I think you've ruled the others out for me, and then, out of the GR02BE and AM800 it gets a bit more difficult-bass vs treble, but I guess if the Am800 aren't going to be 'lacking' in the lower end, they'd probably be better overall - I'm used to my Bose On Ears and whenever I listen to music on anything else, I often find I'm appreciating the high notes more than the bass, but I still like that bass to be present (I listen to a bit of dubstep and the like)
Still recommend the AM800? If you do, would you say that I should be fine with the included tips or should I get some other ones?

Thanks again!

Edit: I've just realised that you're the one who reviewed these IEMs in the OP, sorry! You mention a slight difference in bass (which makes me think I can live with it) but is the noise isolation that bad? (compared to the gr02)

None of the ones you are looking at are as boomy as the XX, certainly not the AM-800. The AM-800 has slightly enhanced bass - it is not lacking at the low end except maybe in comparison to the XX itself. The stock tips are alright. 

GR02 isolation is better than that of the AM-800 but not by much, I would consider both pretty average.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #11,256 of 16,931
Joker...would you consider the V-Moda LP suitable for commuting and walking busy streets?
i'm interested in the M100 which share similar design.
would one need to push the volume up to dangerous levels in order to overcome
the lack of IEM-ish isolation?
thank you ...

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #11,259 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker...would you consider the V-Moda LP suitable for commuting and walking busy streets?
i'm interested in the M100 which share similar design.
would one need to push the volume up to dangerous levels in order to overcome
the lack of IEM-ish isolation?
thank you ...

Yeah, the isolation of LP actually wasn't bad. It's no IEM but I definitely didn't have to blast it uncomfortably. 

Quote:
Joker, which CIEM in our opinion is similar in sound signature to Etymotic ER4S and which could be regarded as an upgrade to Etys?

What are you looking to change about your Etys? I haven't heard a custom that follows Etymotic's target curve as closely as the ER4S.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #11,260 of 16,931
Quote:
What are you looking to change about your Etys? I haven't heard a custom that follows Etymotic's target curve as closely as the ER4S.

More micro details
bigsmile_face.gif
, slightly more bass, in particular subbass, slightly wider and deeper soundstage.

Maybe remold of my Etys is an option. However, I'm afraid that the remolded Etys will have worser sound that the originals. Additionally, after the remold I will end up with just one pair of IEMs and I want to have backup (just in case).

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #11,261 of 16,931
Quote:
More micro details
bigsmile_face.gif
, slightly more bass, in particular subbass, slightly wider and deeper soundstage.

Maybe remold of my Etys is an option. However, I'm afraid that the remolded Etys will have worser sound that the originals. Additionally, after the remold I will end up with just one pair of IEMs and I want to have backup (just in case).

The ER4S extracts pretty much all the detail there is except maybe in the subbass where it doesn't have the greatest presence.

For balanced, accurate sound my favorite is the Hidition NT 6. Except for a bit of treble emphasis, it's got some of the clearest, most balanced, and most detailed sound I've heard so far. The bass is punchy and doesn't drop off (I actually think it rises a little in the subbass region) and the presentation is wide and well-layered, in contrast to the Etys. 

I would agree with not remolding the Etys. You're not likely to gain anything and you'll lose the ability to vary the insertion depth.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #11,262 of 16,931
The ER4S extracts pretty much all the detail there is except maybe in the subbass where it doesn't have the greatest presence.

For balanced, accurate sound my favorite is the Hidition NT 6. Except for a bit of treble emphasis, it's got some of the clearest, most balanced, and most detailed sound I've heard so far. The bass is punchy and doesn't drop off (I actually think it rises a little in the subbass region) and the presentation is wide and well-layered, in contrast to the Etys. 

I would agree with not remolding the Etys. You're not likely to gain anything and you'll lose the ability to vary the insertion depth.

I did the er4s custom reshell and lost all the transparency I loved about it. Ended up buying another pair. :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #11,263 of 16,931
Joker, I'll suggest adding a white damper to the tweeter bore of your NT-6, Rin got great results with his loaner pair, makes the treble less edgy and more neutral. link

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #11,264 of 16,931
Quote:

Hidition is very pricey and currently I can't afford them.

Which cheaper CIEM you would consider as most balanced and accurate (and thus similar to Etys). Did you hear Spiral Ear SE 1-way Pro?

I'm curious about your impressions on The Custom Art's Music One; hope to see the review soon.

Regarding remold I actually use my Etys with custom tips made by piotrus-g (I stop using triple flange due to that sometimes I very easily lost seal and this was very annoying).

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #11,265 of 16,931
Quote:
I did the er4s custom reshell and lost all the transparency I loved about it. Ended up buying another pair.
frown.gif

Ouch

Quote:
Joker, I'll suggest adding a white damper to the tweeter bore of your NT-6, Rin got great results with his loaner pair, makes the treble less edgy and more neutral. link

I only have green/red/orange dampers
frown.gif

Has anyone found a place to order this thing http://hal-hen.com/cgi-bin/info.cgi?id=2506&ls=dc~P~107 ? I want to be able to extract filters without damaging them.

Quote:
Hidition is very pricey and currently I can't afford them.

Which cheaper CIEM you would consider as most balanced and accurate (and thus similar to Etys). Did you hear Spiral Ear SE 1-way Pro?

I'm curious about your impressions on The Custom Art's Music One; hope to see the review soon.

Regarding remold I actually use my Etys with custom tips made by piotrus-g (I stop using triple flange due to that sometimes I very easily lost seal and this was very annoying).

The SE-3 is the only Spiral Ear I've tried but I should have my hands on the Music One soon.

Is the Lime Ears LE3 still out of budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back