Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #10,936 of 16,931
Hi Joker sorry to bother you again. I'm looking for an upgrade from my Gr07. But i also dug out my old MeeElec M6, which i found that i preferred the M6 sound signature better to the Gr07. I'm looking for something with a good treble energy but with a balancing of something like the M6. And here's a few I've shortlisted
1. V-moda M100
2. 1964-V3
3. Heir Audio 4.0

So what are you're recommendations? I have a budget of around... 500 USD. And getting the V3 might be troublesome as I'm not from the USA. Is the V3 worth the hassle? I would be playing from the Fiio X3 without a Amp

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #10,937 of 16,931
Quote:

Please do not bump meaningless posts. Your post has no content for me to reply to. You don't mention your grievances, how long you've had them, what other earphones you've compared them to, your source, music, etc. I have no idea where you are coming from with that. Ergo, no response. You are free to publish a review of the GR07 to address any issues you have with it. Actually, I would encourage that. But please do not clog up my thread with junk. 

Quote:
Hi Joker sorry to bother you again. I'm looking for an upgrade from my Gr07. But i also dug out my old MeeElec M6, which i found that i preferred the M6 sound signature better to the Gr07. I'm looking for something with a good treble energy but with a balancing of something like the M6. And here's a few I've shortlisted
1. V-moda M100
2. 1964-V3
3. Heir Audio 4.0

So what are you're recommendations? I have a budget of around... 500 USD. And getting the V3 might be troublesome as I'm not from the USA. Is the V3 worth the hassle? I would be playing from the Fiio X3 without a Amp

The M6 has more recessed mids and generally more bass than the GR07. Is that what you like about it? It would help if I had some idea of the direction you want to go with the signature. The V3 definitely does not have more recessed mids than the GR07, for example. Also, I have not heard the M100 or the 4.0 - sorry. 

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #10,938 of 16,931
Hi Joker, great work as always. I bought the Astrotec AM-800 on your recommendation and I am quite pleased with them. However, my one grievance with them is that they don't come with smaller tips (is this the right word? lol). Do you have any recommendation for smaller tips that I can buy for more comfort. Thanks again!

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #10,939 of 16,931
Oh sorry. Hmm I would prefer a very fun, engaging and lively IEM or CIEM. But still maintaining a decent level of accuracy and instrument separation, if possible similar to the Gr07. I would say mids are the vital point of my preference, but without a lack of bass like the problem i have with the Gr07. I read your review on the 1964 V3, and it seems like the CIEM that I should go for next, but is there any alternatives? ( Correct me if I'm wrong, I assume mids are the instruments and certain male vocals, and highs are female voices and other high pitch sounding instruments right?)

And also,I've also always wondered about reshelling+ driver adding for my Gr07. As far as I know, Rooth has a local distributor in my country that reshells and add drivers for a decent price. What do you think about this? 

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #10,940 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker, great work as always. I bought the Astrotec AM-800 on your recommendation and I am quite pleased with them. However, my one grievance with them is that they don't come with smaller tips (is this the right word? lol). Do you have any recommendation for smaller tips that I can buy for more comfort. Thanks again!

Sony Hybrids fit the AM-800, are a bit softer than the stock tips, and come in both S and XS sizes. 

Quote:
Oh sorry. Hmm I would prefer a very fun, engaging and lively IEM or CIEM. But still maintaining a decent level of accuracy and instrument separation, if possible similar to the Gr07. I would say mids are the vital point of my preference, but without a lack of bass like the problem i have with the Gr07. I read your review on the 1964 V3, and it seems like the CIEM that I should go for next, but is there any alternatives? ( Correct me if I'm wrong, I assume mids are the instruments and certain male vocals, and highs are female voices and other high pitch sounding instruments right?)

And also,I've also always wondered about reshelling+ driver adding for my Gr07. As far as I know, Rooth has a local distributor in my country that reshells and add drivers for a decent price. What do you think about this? 

Well, the V3 is lively and engaging and has more bass impact than the GR07. I don't find the GR07 lacking personally but hey, that's why there's a Bass Edition. The other CIEMs I've tried in that price range all have less bass and aren't as forward as the V3. If you want to go up in price there are other options - the Westone ES5, for example. 

See here for a handy (and approximate) chart of what instruments cover what frequencies: http://reaktorplayer.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/freq-chart.jpg 

As for the GR07 reshell, I've never gotten any of my earphones reshelled, never mind a dynamic-driver one with an added driver, so I have no idea if that would make sense. Unless they add a crossover I don't see it working all that well as the GR07 is a full-range earphone. 

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #10,941 of 16,931
Oh........... Wow. Heheh maybe it is worth that hassle after all. Thanks joker! You're always a great help

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #10,942 of 16,931
Added the T-Peos H-100

(2B22) T-Peos H-100

Added Jul 2013

Details: BA-dynamic hybrid from Korea-based T-Peos
Current Price: est. $120 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: est. $170)
Specs: Driver: BA+Dynamic Hybrid | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 101 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges 
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (5/5) – Single-flange hybrid-style (4 sizes) and foam-stuffed (4 sizes) silicone tips, foam tips, lanyard, airline adapter, cleaning tool, and padded zippered carrying pouch
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The construction is above average, with sturdy metal housings bearing engraved T-Peos logos at the rear. They don’t look particularly elegant but should last. The cables are plasticky near the housings but become much thicker and gain a nylon sheath below the y-split. Mild driver flex is present
Isolation (3.5/5) – Isolation is above average
Microphonics (4/5) – Can be bothersome with cable-down wear; nonexistent when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (4/5) – The metal housings of the H-100 are not particularly light or compact, but they have a smooth and ear-friendly shape that isn’t bothersome in long-term listening. The stock tips are of good quality

Sound (8.7/10) – The T-Peos H-100 is part of the still-rare breed of reasonably-priced hybrid earphones. I’ve reviewed and/or auditioned a few others in this price range – the old UE Super.Fi 5EB, the Scosche IEM856MD, and the Audiofly AF78. None of those were particularly impressive so the T-Peos H-100, with its bright, crisp sound and added sub-bass kick, sort of defaults to being the best of the bunch.

The sound of the H-100 is rather unique, with the overall tone on the cool and bright side but plenty of deep bass kick afforded by the dynamic driver. Bass depth and presence are quite impressive, but not excessive – the sub-bass extends well and affords the bright sound some footing. There is little mid-bass boost, however, and almost no mid-bass bloat. This makes the deep bass seem more prominent and also prevents veiling of the midrange.

The midrange and treble seem to be handled by the armature of the H-100, with the signature being v-shaped overall. The mids, especially the lower mids, appear a little thin and withdrawn, reminding me of JVC’s FX40 model. Many BA-based earphones, such as the VSonic VC1000, MEElectronics A161P, and Ultimate Ears 600 - not to mention dynamic-driver competitors - have more filled-in and prominent mids compared to the thinner-sounding H-100.

The treble of the H-100 is bright but not overbearing at reasonable volume levels. It sounds clean and crisp and boasts plenty of energy and sparkle, yet isn’t as harsh as may be expected. The H-100 is less prone to sibilance than several of my VSonic earphones and lacks the graininess of the MEElec A161P, for example. The bright treble gives the sound an added clarity – the same principle used by the JVC FX40 and PureSound ClarityOne. In fact, despite its bass boost and recessed mids, the H-100 has very intelligible vocals and works well at low volumes.

The presentation of the H-100 is wide and spacious, as tends to be the case with earphones that share these types of v-shaped signatures. The soundstage is good overall and the sound is very airy, making earphones such as the VSonic VC1000 and MEElec A161P sound quite intimate in comparison. Soundstage depth isn’t great, however, and the earphone doesn’t produce properly centered vocals the way a less mid-recessed set, such as the A161P, can.

Select Comparisons:

HiFiMan RE-400 ($99)

HiFiMan’s latest mid-range offering combines a balanced sound with a compact, user-friendly form factor and sub-$100 price tag. Next to the v-shaped sound signature of the H-100, the RE-400 sounds very well-balanced, perhaps even a little mid-centric. The H-100, on the other hand, lacks midrange weight and sounds a little “hollow” in comparison. It has significantly better deep bass presence but also more treble than the HiFiMan. The added treble results in a brighter overall tone compared to the more neutral and natural RE-400, but also causes the H-100 to appear clearer, akin to using a treble boost equalizer setting. Naturally, the brighter H-100 is more revealing of sibilance and overall less forgiving than the smoother RE-400.

The H-100 does have an advantage in soundstage width, appearing a lot more spacious and less intimate than the HiFiMan set. All in all, these two earphones sound vastly different and make each other sound bad in comparison – after listening to the RE-400, the H-100 sounds overly bright and hollow in the midrange. Switching back to the RE-400 after using the H-100 makes the HiFiMan sound overly intimate and lacking in bass depth.

VSonic GR07 ($179)

VSonic’s dynamic-driver GR07, like the HiFiMan RE-400, follows a rather balanced sound signature but, due to its greater bass depth and treble sparkle, does not sound like a complete antithesis to the T-Peos the way the RE-400 does. Admittedly, the GR07 is still quite a bit flatter than the H-100, offering up a sound that is less bright and more coherent, but it doesn't sound downright mid-centric in comparison.

The tone of the GR07 is warmer than that of the T-Peos due to its greater emphasis on mid-bass and less subbass quantity. It is also thicker in the midrange and again makes the T-Peos sound a bit hollow with its thinner, more withdrawn mids. The bright treble of the H-100 gives vocals good clarity and intelligibility but ultimately the sound is thin and not entirely natural. Interestingly, though the H-100 is brighter, the GR07 is still more prone to sibilance. Overall, I found the pricier GR07 to be better than the T-Peos for its more accurate and natural sound, though when listening to EDM music the H-100 makes a very strong case for itself and may even be preferable to the VSonics.

Value (8.5/10) – The T-Peos H-100 is a BA+dynamic hybrid earphone with a rather unique sound signature. V-shaped, with an emphasis on subbass and treble, the H-100 sounds bright, but with a sizable deep bass kick. It reminds me of a more refined JVC HA-FX40, and like the FX40 provides a uniquely lively experience with EDM. With very nice packaging and an all-around competent design, the H-100 is a standout in value as well, as long as its signature meshes well with the listener.

Pros: Good clarity, strong subbass, and a spacious and airy sound; packaged like a higher-end product
Cons: Lacks a bit of midrange presence and thickness

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #10,943 of 16,931
Hi joker!

What's the difference between the GR07 bass edition vs GR07 MK2? You mentioned in a previous comment that one of these share 95% similarities with the Phonak audeo PFE232 which I can't afford. But I can afford the gr07! What would you recommend me? I want to try the sound signature of the PFE232 but at a more affordable price.

Thank you!

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #10,944 of 16,931
joker, wish you have reviewed t-peos h200 too

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #10,946 of 16,931
Hi Joker, based on what i have, (Quadbeat, MH1C, GR06, VSD1, in future may be
tongue.gif
(re-400)), does Comply t-400 fit all of these? or i need to get different ones for each?? Its cheaper to buy any one type of multiple quantity....

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #10,947 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker!

What's the difference between the GR07 bass edition vs GR07 MK2? You mentioned in a previous comment that one of these share 95% similarities with the Phonak audeo PFE232 which I can't afford. But I can afford the gr07! What would you recommend me? I want to try the sound signature of the PFE232 but at a more affordable price.

Thank you!

The difference is (surprise surprise) bass quantity but the bass has some additional effects - it makes the midrange of Bass Edition sound more recessed in comparison to that of the regular GR07, for example. See paragraphs 4-5 here for more info. The Bass Edition has a little more mid-bass punch than a PFE232 with my preferred (gray) filters. The GR07 has a little less bass overall. IMO it's more about how much bass you want instead of which matches the 232 better, because they are both pretty close. 

Quote:
joker, wish you have reviewed t-peos h200 too

Someday 
wink.gif

Quote:
Interesting that joker and ClieOs have both given the H-100 very favourable reviews, considering how much criticism it drew from some quarters. 

Well, it's not without issues but if you get past the sound signature if performs on-par with a lot of good earphones. In A:B comparisons it really did make the RE-400 sound pretty bad, and vice versa. It was a hard call to say which is "better" overall because they are so different, and I am sure there are many who will love the sound of the T-Peos
wink.gif

Quote:
Hi Joker, based on what i have, (Quadbeat, MH1C, GR06, VSD1, in future may be
tongue.gif
(re-400)), does Comply t-400 fit all of these? or i need to get different ones for each?? Its cheaper to buy any one type of multiple quantity....

I don't think the T-400 fits on any of those except the Quadbeat and RE-400. VSonics have a tricky nozzle, they take a T-200 but it's a little loose for my liking. The MH1C seems be somewhere between a T-200 and T-100. The T-200 is definitely too loose on it.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #10,949 of 16,931
Vsonic VSD9 will compete sennheiser IE800, akg K3003, the cost will be 550$ usa 

Vsonic VSD 3 will have a sound level shure se535, westone 4, Sony MDR-EX1000
[url=http://i40.tinypic.com/wk3i2o.jpg%5B/IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/wk3i2o.jpg[/IMG[/url]][/font]
[font=verdana] [IMG][url=http://i41.tinypic.com/wbdqxi.jpg%5B/IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/wbdqxi.jpg[/IMG[/url]][/font]
[font=verdana]  [/font]
[font=verdana] Vsonic VSD7/VSD9[/font]
[font=verdana] [IMG][url=http://i41.tinypic.com/4l2dyq.jpg%5B/IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/4l2dyq.jpg[/IMG[/url]][/font]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back