Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #8,852 of 16,931
Not married to dual BA drivers, just want to try the different technology.  I was thinking that dual drivers provide a more accurate sound.  Maybe i should stick with something more mainstream like the MEe A151's to see the difference between balanced armature and dynamic drivers?

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #8,853 of 16,931
Quote:
Not married to dual BA drivers, just want to try the different technology.  I was thinking that dual drivers provide a more accurate sound.  Maybe i should stick with something more mainstream like the MEe A151's to see the difference between balanced armature and dynamic drivers?

To me dual BA's are more full sounding compared to singles along with better soundstage size.  A really good cheap in price not in performance dual BA is the R-50 which sounds as good as most IEM's costing twice as much.  

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #8,854 of 16,931
Quote:
For the 334, are you just going to do a singular summary-type review, or are you planning to do a joint review with Tyll? I'd love to see Tyll give his thoughts on it, as well as impluse, square wave analysis...

I'm doing one of my standard Head-Fi reviews but I have a bunch of stuff I want to send to Tyll for measurement including the 334. If he likes it maybe we'll do an IF piece as well. 

Quote:
Hi joker
I have been following this thread since the starting and wanted to thank you for such an effort and dedication to Head-Fi.I have been using brainwavz r1 and wanted to to when are you going to add it's review as i am in a dilemma of swapping it by gr06 .

I have no plans to add the R1 at this time. I've heard it briefly and did not think it was as good as their M5, which is still not as much to my liking as the GR06. 

Quote:
jvc marshmallow vs philips she3580?

SHE3580

Quote:
Hey joker :D 
I've been down and back with a few IEMs recently, and I was wondering if there were any IEM's you can think of that are extremely similar to the Tributes in sound? I have a pair, but one driver is substantially quieter than the other (assuming they are defective) and I but them used so the warranty won't be of use. I would buy another pair, but I honestly hated the weight of the driver coupled with the relatively insecure fit of the IEM. 

Essentially have you heard of IEMs with a similar sound signature and similar sound quality to the Miles Davis Tributes

Can't think of anything extremely similar to the Tributes but depending on what you like about them you might enjoy one of the higher-end JVC dynamics or maybe the EPH-100. 

Quote:
Hey Joker,
I'm dying for your R-50 review. When are you planning to review it?
popcorn.gif

It should be the next one posted.

Quote:
Nice thread!!

beerchug.gif

Quote:

The entry-level BAs typically have much more glaring weaknesses than the mid-level ones. Signatures also vary quite a bit--the entry-level BAs I like (A151, Rock-It R-20/R-30, Astrotec AM-90, etc) tend to be warmer and smoother than most higher-end ones. If you want to really try an armature but still have reservations I would recommend something decent in the ~$100 range - an A161P, Ety HF5, Phonak 022, Brainwavz B2, Rock-It R-50, etc. Less of an investment than going all out at $200 and you shouldn't lose a whole lot on resale value if you don't like them.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #8,855 of 16,931
Hey Joker, having the B2s for about 3 weeks, what do you think is the best way of controlling the sibilance? I replaced the tips with the Shure olives but I feel that more of the bass was reduced rather the sibilance. Knowing that the Galaxy S2 has a terrible DAC that reduces the soundstage, increases the sibilance to a certain extent, would changing the source to a Clip Zip help (I am planning to get it anyways)? Would a burn-in also help? I have only used these for 14 hours max.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #8,856 of 16,931
Really looking forward to the review of the FitEar 334, SHE3580, and UE700. I will also drop a look at the TF10 review (if it comes out XD) the IE7, and MDR-7550.

And you might want to remove the AKG K330 from your list of planned reviews.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #8,857 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker, having the B2s for about 3 weeks, what do you think is the best way of controlling the sibilance? I replaced the tips with the Shure olives but I feel that more of the bass was reduced rather the sibilance. Knowing that the Galaxy S2 has a terrible DAC that reduces the soundstage, increases the sibilance to a certain extent, would changing the source to a Clip Zip help (I am planning to get it anyways)? Would a burn-in also help? I have only used these for 14 hours max.

Comply T100, Ts100 or (best) P of the right size. (e.g. included one) However, the IEM is not really sibilant, but has lots of 4.5k edge, very wide ridge too. Far too much, about 20 dB with silicone and 14 dB with Comply. It can't even be equalized out, since it's too long resonance.

S2 has a great DAC, but too high output impedance for B2, which happens to exaggerate the rigde even more, furthering soundstage collapse.

(TW)FK sound is a "biting" sound - it has huge unnatural sharpness to it.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #8,858 of 16,931
Quote:

Triple-flange tips plus a deep insertion or Comply tips just stuffed in your ear. I am not familiar with the S2 or new Clips. If the output impedance of the Galaxy is on the high side that might be a problem and would not be an issue with the Clip. 

Quote:
And you might want to remove the AKG K330 from your list of planned reviews.

Why?

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #8,860 of 16,931
Quote:
Clip Zip is mostly the same as the old Clip+, they fixed some things in firmware and whatnot but it's still the same amp etc.

Thanks, good to know. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #8,861 of 16,931
joker, for the two question I asked your below, you mentioned that the difference between K3003 and FX700 is a bit smaller between FX700 and Monster Turbine Copper. 
I remember when i first listen to FX700, the immediate difference was more timbre and clarity. It was more 3D.
I'm not sure about your definition of "noticeably better". I think it's noticeable. Pretty much everything is better except isolation.  I guess I was being a little harsh saying that it's a little better. I just think that FX700 is a good step up for me from Monster Turbine Copper if the price is within $150, which it is.

For the other question I asked you, you pointed out that it's difficult to justify the price difference between FX700 and K3003. But what I'm surprised is that you stated that you can't determine the difference between these two IEMs from memory. That means the difference between these two IEMs are really really small?
I see that in the reviews, you gave K3003 a 9.6 and FX700 a 9.3 in sound quality. Is that actually the difference? 
confused.gif

For Copper, you gave 8.8. Between FX700 and Copper, I can see/hear the 0.5 difference, even from memory.

I just want to make sure that if I can't really tell the difference between FX700 and K3003 from memory, then it's probably not worth getting it then. By memory, I mean like say, listening to FX700 for a day or week. Move on to K3003 the next day or week, I want to think to my myself that, "hmm, the AKG sounds better. The treble is better, more extension. Bass is deeper, more detailed. The midrange is not laid back and etc."

Quote:
Is the difference between K3003 and FX700 greater or less than between FX700 and Monster Turbine Copper/Turbine? 

Probably a little smaller. I think the FX700 is noticeably better than the Copper but as you've noted the difference between them still isn't that big, especially without comparing them side by side. 

Quote:
quantity aside, are the treble, mids, bass quality better on K3003 than FX700?
if K3003 sound better, is the difference in sound quality overall great enough to declare that one is than the other just from memory? without comparing them side by side?
Thanks

Probably not on the second question. The K3003 does have certain advantages - slightly better clarity from the BA driver due to the thinner note presentation, better imaging, and impressive treble extension, for example, but it would be difficult to justify the price difference if you've already got an FX700.

Sorry if this is a difficult question or being repetitive. I just would like as much information as possible so I can make the best decision. Thanks

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #8,862 of 16,931
Hi joker,

I listen to some piano and classical, along mostly with pop music.

Struggling between 1964 v3 and Alclair Reference(bad reputation from livewires) and CTM-200.

Can I run them on iphone4/5? Any thoughts on this?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #8,863 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think this question has been sufficiently answered. I don't know how good your audio memory is so I really can't speak for that and the scores pretty much tell the rest of the story.

Quote:
Hi joker,
I listen to some piano and classical, along mostly with pop music.
Struggling between 1964 v3 and Alclair Reference(bad reputation from livewires) and CTM-200.
Can I run them on iphone4/5? Any thoughts on this?

The V3 is the most efficient of those if you're worried about getting the most out of your customs with your phone but I don't think an iPhone 4/5 will have trouble with any of these. It really depends on what you want signature-wise. If you're not sure then the V3 is probably safest. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #8,864 of 16,931
Hey,

Currently, I've been using my friend's Yamaha EPH-100, but I'll soon have to return those to him. In the mean time, I've been looking at some IEM's to purchase. I quite enjoy the sound signature of the EPH-100, would IEM's such as the Miles Davis Trumpets ($149 from Monster) or Ortofon e-Q5 be a step up from the EPH-100 with a similar sound signature, or should I just jump up and get a pair of Westone 4? I'm particularly interested in the Trumpets at the moment.

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #8,865 of 16,931
I too would love to know Joker's take on the Sony MH1C. This is mainly because I purchased the RE-ZEROs based on your review in which you called them warm. Maybe they are warm for an analytical IEM but to my ears they sounded thin and hallow (though man where you right about the detail and the highs). Would love to know what you think about them. I'm guessing they get an 8.0 :wink:

I also totally agree with your short assessment of the Brainwavz R1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back