Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #5,131 of 16,931
Just thought I'd throw this out to a wider audience than the westone 4 thread (thanks to those that replied there though!).

Right I've narrowed it down to either the um3x the w3 OR the w4.  Thing is they all do things but none of them in one package.  Sounds like the um3x would fit me better, the w4 easier to live with day to day whilst the 3 has the more "fun" sound.  As a comparison the bass on the monster turbines I had I found gave me a headache, and found the westone 2 a little bass light for my taste.  So would that mean taking off the w3 from the list.  It would be for everyday use from out of an ipod touch 3rd gen listening mainly to rock and metal.

Now I can see why I ended up at the westone 2's in the first place, I may just end up with another of those.

I'm very good at narrowing down choices to the bare minimum but it's making that final choice thats difficult.

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #5,134 of 16,931
Quote:
any  suggestions for something similar  to the e-q5 but cheaper? of course not the same quality but a close sound , and more treble if possible

You're best bet is to consider a different moving armature, the Final Audio Design Heaven A (FI-BA-A1). There are two currently listed in the for sale forums, here, and here, assuming you don't mind second hand. 
redface.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #5,135 of 16,931
Hey joker,
I'm looking for a bass heavy IEM around $80, something that's of a little upgrade to my SoundMagic E10's. Right now, I'm in between the Klipsch S4i which can be had for $65 right now, and the DUNU DN-16 Hephaes for $78. Which one would you prefer? Or do you have any more suggestions? I like the V or U shape type of sound.

Thank yoU!

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #5,136 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker,
I'm looking for a bass heavy IEM around $80, something that's of a little upgrade to my SoundMagic E10's. Right now, I'm in between the Klipsch S4i which can be had for $65 right now, and the DUNU DN-16 Hephaes for $78. Which one would you prefer? Or do you have any more suggestions? I like the V or U shape type of sound.

Thank yoU!

Klipsch S4 is bassy and harsh treble in my opinion. if you want a bassy sound signature, then I dont think Klipsch is your best choice.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #5,137 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker,

Thank yoU!

Hephaes would be perfect.  

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #5,138 of 16,931
On a lighter note, I'm going to (gently) stick plasticine into my ears to get an idea of what my impressions would look like, then try to imagine having to insert a hard acrylic shell into each ear everytime I want to listen to music. On the plus side, I imagine that the isolation on a plane would be sensational - there is an entire section of Youtube dedicated to howling babies on planes.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #5,139 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, would you recommend the RE-262 for someone who loves the HD650 sound sig? Do you think its isolation is good enough, and its build tough enough for daily commutes on the bus? Also, I'll probably be running this unamped straight off a Clip+.

IMO The HD650 is a little bassier than the RE262 but on the whole, in that price range, there's nothing I'd recommend over it. Isolation and build quality are fine on the latest revision.

Quote:
Just thought I'd throw this out to a wider audience than the westone 4 thread (thanks to those that replied there though!).

Right I've narrowed it down to either the um3x the w3 OR the w4.  Thing is they all do things but none of them in one package.  Sounds like the um3x would fit me better, the w4 easier to live with day to day whilst the 3 has the more "fun" sound.  As a comparison the bass on the monster turbines I had I found gave me a headache, and found the westone 2 a little bass light for my taste.  So would that mean taking off the w3 from the list.  It would be for everyday use from out of an ipod touch 3rd gen listening mainly to rock and metal.

Now I can see why I ended up at the westone 2's in the first place, I may just end up with another of those.

I'm very good at narrowing down choices to the bare minimum but it's making that final choice thats difficult.

The W3 has a different sort of bass from the Turbines - similarly impacful but it's definitely armature bass - not fat, muddy, or bloated. I still think the W4 is the safest choice in the westone range, with the UM3X close behind but with more bass (I would rank them W1 < W2 < W4 < UM3X< W3 in bass qty). The W4 is better than the W2 in pretty much every way unless you are after a more analytical note presentation. The UM3X is very good as well but I actually prefer the more airy presentation of the W2 over the more intimate UM3X.

Quote:
damn, and will a laptop fully power those cans? if not fully, will a laptop power them better than a small mp3 player with a lithium battery? thanks

Too many variables - you'd be better off asking someone who owns the product in question.

Quote:
any  suggestions for something similar  to the e-q5 but cheaper? of course not the same quality but a close sound , and more treble if possible

An Ety HF5 or Brainwavz B2, maybe? They're more analytical in presentation but balance-wise wouldn't be far off from what you want.

Quote:
Hey joker,

Thank yoU!

My suggestion would be the Fischer Audio Consonance. S4 is at most a sidegrade from E10 IMO and the Hephaes is not really V-shaped. Consonance is a clear step up from both to my ears.

Quote:
On a lighter note, I'm going to (gently) stick plasticine into my ears to get an idea of what my impressions would look like, then try to imagine having to insert a hard acrylic shell into each ear everytime I want to listen to music. On the plus side, I imagine that the isolation on a plane would be sensational - there is an entire section of Youtube dedicated to howling babies on planes.

How easy a custom is to insert/remove depends in large part on how it was made - my Miracles have very long sound channels but the mold is very rounded and locks in place extremely easily. My Kozees are easy as well because the sound tubes are cut short. My 1964s and CTMs are not so easy - they actually take some effort to lock in place. On the whole I think it's beneficial to have the outer ear part of the custom shaved down a little from a 'perfect fit' for insertion purposes and to have the sound tubes as long as possible for seal/isolation. Isolation varies with material as well - acrylic doesn't isolate as well as silicone in my experience. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #5,142 of 16,931
@ |joker| I was referred here from a fellow member. I'm totally a noob to these forums but I'm looking for a thunderous/punching bass pair of in ear headphones. I'm willing to splurge if they're worth it. Specifically I'm talking about JH16's. Currently, I use monster turbine pro golds because the sound was a nice step up from the beats tour. I'm looking for a custom pair because I have quite small ear canals, not incredibly tiny like the tips on the klispch x10i's, but small for the smallest tip size that monster offers. They fit me perfectly, but I'm looking to step it up from my turbine pro golds. I have tried UE TF10 to no avail because of size, Klispch x10i where I wasn't impressed, was considering Shure se535 but lack of bass (or so I've heard) is a turn off, and looking at Westone UM3/X but have heard they might be too big for me. I'm not totally into bass and hip hop/R&B I listen to other genres and songs that aren't so laden with bass and wondered if the JH16s would deliver on both of these parts. So I figured what the heck go all the way and get me a top of the line pair of custom in ear headphones. Would you anything about these???

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #5,143 of 16,931
Why not consider dynamic driver based customs like the Future Sonics or Hybrids like the UM Merlin, if you want visceral punchy bass? The basic characteristics of balanced armatures don't change in a custom shell. jm2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back