Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #4,442 of 16,931
Yee Haw!!!!!!!!!!!  The magical #200 for the Multi-IEM Review thread!  Congrats, Joker.... and nice work :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #4,443 of 16,931
WOW 200 IEM reviews!! Congrats Joker, and thank you for all your contributions to this community!

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #4,444 of 16,931
Thanks, everyone!  It's been quite a journey and couldn't have been done without all the support. Much appreciated!

Quote: 
Nice RE272 review, it sounds like a very interesting product specially since I've been leaning towards that kind of sound.

The RE262's ratings on comfort and isolation should be updated though since they're pretty much the same in these regards because the 262s use the same modular configuration. Even the build of the cable may be the same...

Hifiman seems pretty conservative on showing off it's specs. They rarely market the fact that the 9mm driver uses a titanium coated diaphragm or that their cable is OFC (though i'm not certain on the latter).

Anyways, congrats on reaching 200 and I hope you don't reach 300 anytime soon for your sake.....

Thanks, and good point on the RE262. Accessory score will be updated as well.

Quite a ways to go to 300. Hopefully it will be neither too soon or too long.

Quote:
Hey joker, I owned a pair of Brainwavz M2s and enjoyed them thoroughly. I am currently looking to buy a new pair of IEMs. I wouldn't mind venturing from its sound but would like something similar to it. What is your opinion in regards to PR401s, CC51, and Xcape IE with this in mind? Genres I listen to are Hip Hop, R&B, Jazz, Alternative & Indie Rock.

They are all pretty different from the M2, all with less emphasized mids and a bit less bass. If that's what you're after I think you'd be happier with the PR401 or CC51.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #4,445 of 16,931

Quote:

Very different signatures... the UE500 is a bit V-shaped in response, more of an ECCI PR401 or MEElec CC51 sound. Not quite as good as those two but close and a good deal at $55, though you can find the CC51 around that price if you're in the US. I'm not thrilled with the build quality of the UE500 but it's passable. Very lightweight and comfy, too. 

The M2 will be warmer, have more pronounced bass and a significantly more forward midrange, and smoother, more laid-back treble.

Thanks for your answer, is there something similar to the brainwavz m2 signature for a similar price?, I see the Xears resonance, they have the same note in sound(7.2) but perhaps they are a different signature of sound. I think that I want for something a bit more clear than the M2.

Regards.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #4,446 of 16,931

Quote:

Yes, I've only used two of those and they both have more upfront vocals than the E10. You might even like the E30 better than the E10, or the Brainwavz M2. Even the MEE CC51 is less mid-recessed than the E10 and has better clarity and detail overall. If you could say what you like and what you'd like improved about the XE200 and TD-III that might help narrow it down.

Well I've not actually had my TD-IIIs or XE200PRO for a little while now but I feel the isolation of the XE200PRO is quite poor and the fit isn't the best. I have to get the London Underground to uni and it pretty much rips the sound from the headphones apart. My TD-IIIs have broken but after trying a number of different earphones I've decided to chase Thomas up on getting a replacement for them as I feel there's something I don't like about every earphone whereas I was generally happy with the TD-III and I didn't really need anything about them to be improved. (Although flat cables similar to the XSR330PRO would be good (I'll explain further down). I remember I did like the more upfront vocals and I like to have the bass there so that I do notice it, but I like the vocals and clarity much more. I like a warmer sound too.

I love the sound and isolation of the Xi200PRO but the aluminium design and flat cable makes the headphone really heavy, making uncomfortable when I'm doing anything else other than sitting down. The sound from it is quite close to perfect on the London Underground (the bass is almost overpowering but I don't notice this on the underground) but I have to stand up usually (rush hour). I'm not a fan of wearing them over ear either.

The XSR330PRO are also not bad, but as TigerA says, it's a bit of a "raging monster" in your ears type of earphone and doesn't suit my music taste too much. The plastic housing and fit gives probably the best isolation I've seen in budget IEMs and the flat cable design is super light as it only has a small piece of plastic for the L+R joints as opposed to the big aluminium/plastic/metal slab in the Xi200PRO and XGF500PRO. I feel the flat cable design is very good as I can easily untangle my headphones if they get tangled.

I was thinking of trying something other than Xears but it seems that I'd probably be wasting money, I feel they're pretty hard to beat for value.

Either way, I hope Thomas/Xears can replace my TDIII and I'll see where I go from there.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #4,448 of 16,931
On |joker|'s profile page, there's a list of the ones that he currently owns, has previously owned, or has previously auditioned.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #4,449 of 16,931
He's obviously auditioned over 200 of them, I'm just curious about ownership.  Again, it's a random (and not-that-important) question.

For some stupid reason, I didn't think to look there.  That list is insane.

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4,450 of 16,931

Quote:
If I may, he mentioned at the very end that "the balanced score would be one or two tenths higher," making it just about even with the EX1000's own rating of 9.4. 
smile.gif

My question still remains the same
wink.gif
. I was not asking about SQ scores alone. There are a few IEMs with the same score, but Joker would probably take W4 over SM3.So,

Quote:
Would you put RE272 in balanced mode ahead of EX-1000?

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4,451 of 16,931
You finally reached 200 iems for this review thread and that is quite the feat :) It seems like they finally came out with a upgrade over the RE0 with the RE272 which is great although I've never been a fan of their cable so hopefully this one is better. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4,452 of 16,931
With the PR401 in mind, is there another IEM out there that is not so pushed back in the mids? I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it feels as if there's a hollowness to the sound which could be from the V-shaped frequency, thus higher energy frequencies stick out to the ear more.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #4,453 of 16,931
@Joker

Hi and many many congratulations to u on the review of 200th IEM :) I'm luking for an IEM with a sound signature like this: Need an IEM which has bass quantity like M2 but with much better quality, timing and speed, a tad more treble with smoothness than M2 with an excellent imaging, layering and instrumental separation and twice or thrice better soundstage than M2. Mids should not be recessed also not the center image of the sound signature like M2. Please suggest me the iem based on the sound signature I'm luking for. Thank you.:) Budget is around $100. Thank You. :)

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #4,455 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks for your answer, is there something similar to the brainwavz m2 signature for a similar price?, I see the Xears resonance, they have the same note in sound(7.2) but perhaps they are a different signature of sound. I think that I want for something a bit more clear than the M2.Regards.

Yes, the Resonance is a bit flatter than the M2 and has a thinner note and slightly better clarity. If you wanted a bigger clarity upgrade you could try a MEE CC51 or Sunrise Xcited.

Quote:
My question still remains the same
wink.gif
. I was not asking about SQ scores alone. There are a few IEMs with the same score, but Joker would probably take W4 over SM3.So,

Ah, if we're talking subjective and personal I'll take the EX1000. It's a little more 'special' and differs more from the other universal IEMs in my stable (e-Q5, CK10, ER4S, GR07...). If I had to get rid of my other analytical IEMs for whatever reason, I'd take a balanced RE272. The HM-801 with balanced card has to be one of the most awkwardly-shaped sources out there, though.

Quote:
You finally reached 200 iems for this review thread and that is quite the feat :) It seems like they finally came out with a upgrade over the RE0 with the RE272 which is great although I've never been a fan of their cable so hopefully this one is better. 

Thanks! To be fair I can still see someone finding the slightly darker RE0 to be more neutral than the RE272 so I won't call it a universal RE0 replacement but it is as close as it gets among the top-tiers. 

I have no problems with the new HiFiMan cable - it's strong and smooth and doesn't tangle.

Quote:
With the PR401 in mind, is there another IEM out there that is not so pushed back in the mids? I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it feels as if there's a hollowness to the sound which could be from the V-shaped frequency, thus higher energy frequencies stick out to the ear more.

Brainwavz M2? Pretty different response, certainly not thin or distant in the midrange and cheaper. Otherwise maybe the Xears TD-III but in either case there will be trade-offs. If you wanted to preserve the resolution and crispness of the PR401 you'd need to go up a level to the something like the HiSound Crystal or Xcape IE.

Quote:
@Joker

Hi and many many congratulations to u on the review of 200th IEM :) I'm luking for an IEM with a sound signature like this: Need an IEM which has bass quantity like M2 but with much better quality, timing and speed, a tad more treble with smoothness than M2 with an excellent imaging, layering and instrumental separation and twice or thrice better soundstage than M2. Mids should not be recessed also not the center image of the sound signature like M2. Please suggest me the iem based on the sound signature I'm luking for. Thank you.:) Budget is around $100. Thank You. :)

Thanks!

That's a tough find for under $100. Best I can think of is the Fischer Silver Bullet but it's not quite as big an upgrade over an M2 as you're describing. For that you'd have to spend more.

Quote:
Congratz on the 200th iem review @ljokerl!!! Hopefully we still have new top-tier iems coming for review.

Thanks, and there will be. List on the front page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back