Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 7, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #15,391 of 16,931
  Joker, if you get a chance, you should have a listen to something from Zero Audio.  They are masterfully tuned.  Duoza, Tenore, Doppio, Singolo, Basso (too much bass for my taste).

I sent them an email or two back when I had some room in my schedule but it didn't work out. Maybe someday. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #15,392 of 16,931
i have the doppio, its really nice. strictly balanced and fairly neutral.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #15,394 of 16,931
Jan 8, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #15,396 of 16,931
It was generally about $55 after shipping costs from more reputable sellers on amazon when I got mine (I paid $49 with prime shipping when they had it). Now it's in the high 30's with free shipping (but most or all seem to be shipping from japan so expect about ~2 weeks for delivery). That's like 30% cheaper, so what I would call good prices. In the 30-40 range is close to retail prices in japan iirc.

Cheaper than using a forwarding service atm.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #15,397 of 16,931
Guys I am saving up for a pair of JH13 FP's in the near future.  It'll be my first audiophile purchase, I'm going for the best right off the bat because I don't want to buy another pair for a very long time or feel like something better is out there.  Eventually I want to get a DAP & Amp to pair with them.  I don't mind buying used in the for sale section-in fact I prefer to save a few bucks that way. 

I am looking to spend a maximum of $800 on a DAP and $200 on an AMP. (AK120's can be had for $800 at times in the for sale section)

Can you guys recommend a DAP/AMP combo for the JH13FP's? (Must play 24bit 192khz)

Is an amp even necessary for them?

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #15,398 of 16,931
^ It's your choice. But things are not that matematicaly. How do you know you like them if it's your first "audiophile" purchase? How do you know what sound signature you like best?

For instance, I'm buying some under $50, $100, $150 IEMs to know exactly what I want before I jump to something more "pro" and expensive.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #15,399 of 16,931
  ^ It's your choice. But things are not that matematicaly. How do you know you like them if it's your first "audiophile" purchase? How do you know what sound signature you like best?

For instance, I'm buying some under $50, $100, $150 IEMs to know exactly what I want before I jump to something more "pro" and expensive.

nice reply.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #15,400 of 16,931

That's precisely it, I dont' want to be spending $100 here, $200 there, I'd rather just pick what is considered the best than waste money dancing around trying to figure out what I want.  I have bought some RE400's and RE0 in the past, but I don't really consider those audiophile level iems.  I previously owned an ipod that was rockboxed.  I don't consider that an audiophile purchase either. 

I know that the sound signature I prefer is something along these lines: good instrument separation, big sound stage, treble slightly over bass but also enjoy a good bass-dominant metal song. Probably somewhere between a V and U shape. 

Im demoing some IEMs later in the year when it's my turn (demo tour), if the JH13's had a demo tour I'd be happy to test them but I don't see how I can do that as I can't find any to demo.

My only concern would be the bass, since I listen to a lot of metal and prefer treble over bass, however that's what equalizers are for.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #15,401 of 16,931

Guess I am guilty of the same. There's no mystery behind the relationship between quality, engineering and price. At the higher-end, we are almost assured we will love the results and be very impressed. The added insight garnered from researching sites like this makes the outcome even more reliable.

Either way, I don't see how you can compare a lesser items sound signature to that of a top shelf unit. You may not like a strong bass profile in a low-end item, but love it in a high-end variant. For me, it's research and always buy the best quality you can afford. You simply can't go wrong.

At least Ike is going the extra distance and maximizing his investment, I will just be using a smartphone source - lol.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #15,402 of 16,931
I am acquiring very very slowly lol, I anticipate I will have all 3 (dac/amp/iem) by mid 2016.  Plus there's always something new around the corner, I anticipate ALOT coming out in 2015, so prices for older items should go down accordingly as new models are released

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #15,403 of 16,931

Guess I am guilty of the same. There's no mystery behind the relationship between quality, engineering and price. At the higher-end, we are almost assured we will love the results and be very impressed. The added insight garnered from researching sites like this makes the outcome even more reliable.

Either way, I don't see how you can compare a lesser items sound signature to that of a top shelf unit. You may not like a strong bass profile in a low-end item, but love it in a high-end variant. For me, it's research and always buy the best quality you can afford. You simply can't go wrong.

At least Ike is going the extra distance and maximizing his investment, I will just be using a smartphone source - lol.

I do a TON of research before I buy anything, I've spent months researching iems.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #15,404 of 16,931
But my point is just that without experience one can't really understand what the reviewers and users giving impressions are saying. For instance, if I have an IEM A and a IEM B, if people are comparing other IEM C with A and B, I understand what they say much better instead if I didn't have IEM A and B. And there's some "giant killers" with cost not much and maybe sound about 75/80% than top tier IEM.

And there is the hobby thing. It's fun to somehow walk the road that other experienced headfiers have crossed :wink:

But I get you, you just something very good and that's it, enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back