Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,746 of 4,841
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Quote:
Yes...but not...Japanese enough
smily_headphones1.gif
my revelation is more on the JH13 freq. I knew they were good, but not that good.

Me too. Really surprising! Sometimes I feel like the only person around who wasn't absolutely in love with the original... but it just didn't do it for me. The new version, however.... it's really something. 

May 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,748 of 4,841
Excellent writeup by the InnerFidelity staff. I wished that more companies participated though, but of course the article can be updated in the future to include new CIEMs.

May 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,749 of 4,841
Quote:
True that...
beerchug.gif
...but the ES5 did pleasantly surprise me with how nice it sounded. I really didn't expect Westone to do so well. It was just very laid back and easygoing.

No kidding.  I've always thought the Westone IEMs were a bit lackluster and boring sounding, but they friggen nailed it for me with the ES5. I like things a bit soft on top, and these things suite me to a T!!!

Quote:
Yes...but not...Japanese enough
smily_headphones1.gif
my revelation is more on the JH13 freq. I knew they were good, but not that good.

They are AMAZING! A bit bright and bass heavy for my tonal tastes, but out-of-this-world in terms of coherence and imaging. 

I could live without the JH13 having the ES5, but not the other way around. Fortunately I have both. :) 

And they pack pack away nicely in the JH tiny Otterbox, which is now stuffed and ready to go for tunes on the way to the Munich High End Show tomorrow.

Got the V-Moda Metalo case for my Galaxy SIII and the Vamp Verza for DAC/amp duties on the way as well.

Woot!!! I'm a styling traveler now!

May 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #2,750 of 4,841
Quote:
  No kidding.  I've always thought the Westone IEMs were a bit lackluster and boring sounding, but they friggen nailed it for me with the ES5. I like things a bit soft on top, and these things suite me to a T!!!

You know what's funny? Several weeks before the IF review, I was talking to a few other members via PM and I actually mentioned in passing that Tyll would probably love the ES5...
tongue.gif

May 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #2,753 of 4,841
Quote:
Since this has become sort of the de facto thread for all things CIEM related, I'll add this here in case anyone is interested. We just did a large custom IEM roundup over at InnerFidelity. Here is a link. I see some areas where our opinions differ from Average Joe, but in most cases I'd say we see (or hear!) things very similarly.

By the way, after working on that project, I have that much more respect for Joe and his work on this thread. It's really time consuming, and he's put in a ton of effort. I've done my share of individual CIEM reviews around here but doing it all in one spot with comparisons and everything is even more difficult. So thumbs up to Joe!

Very nice roundup, thanks for posting the link.  Where do things differ?  Also, thanks for recognizing the effort!

Quote:
Great reviews guys. Where you differ the most I would think is in the ES5...Joe seemed less enthusiastic.

I have only had the opportunity to read about the ES5 and have read both positive and negative things about it, although nothing negative lately.  I have always wanted to review one, but it just hasn't come to pass.  Maybe some day.

Quote:

Me too. Really surprising! Sometimes I feel like the only person around who wasn't absolutely in love with the original... but it just didn't do it for me. The new version, however.... it's really something. 

RE the JH13...I have heard many great things about it, now to just get my hands on one when I can find the time...

May 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,754 of 4,841
I have the JH13 and I've recently heard a demo of the JH13 freq. Am I the only one finding the JH13 freq has more treble emphasis than the older version.? While I love the sound of the older version, unfortunately the treble of the new revision was too much for my liking and couldn't listen to them without fatigue.
I had the same experience with the old JH16 treble emphasis which kept me away from them.

May 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #2,756 of 4,841
Quote:
I have the JH13 and I've recently heard a demo of the JH13 freq. Am I the only one finding the JH13 freq has more treble emphasis than the older version.? While I love the sound of the older version, unfortunately the treble of the new revision was too much for my liking and couldn't listen to them without fatigue.
I had the same experience with the old JH16 treble emphasis which kept me away from them.

I have the JH16, and if I compare the Old JH16 to W4 or SM3, the treble is smoothened compared to what you experienced. But for me there's nothing wrong with JH16 aside from the powerful bass that may accentuate sometimes, as I have my ears are tuned to how the Jh16s sounds.

I'm really interested now on the JH13 FQ sounds like after reading the IF's reviews. How is this compared to Fitear's 335 or SE 5-Way which I very much like to have this year?

May 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2,757 of 4,841
Just came across this thread as my head-fi experience is leading me towards a pair of CIEMs.

I'm blown away. Wonderful compilation of information presented in an easy to browse format. Thank you.

May 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2,758 of 4,841
Quote:
I'm really interested now on the JH13 FQ sounds like after reading the IF's reviews. How is this compared to Fitear's 335 or SE 5-Way which I very much like to have this year?

I've never listened to the SE5, but  I have heard several times the 335 (demo). The 335 and JH13 freq have a quiet opposite sound sig. The JH13 freq is quiet bright to my ears while the 335 is clearly a dark sounding CIEM with bass and mid emphasis. The soundstage is also very different, you are on the stage with the JH13 freq with a clinical separation between every instruments. The 335 feels more laidback, more deep , coherent and 3D sounding with less width from the left to the right. I feel the sound of the 335 more realistic with a feeling that the sound is more articulate and out of the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back