Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,476 of 4,841
Quote:
I've been curious about the build process for CIEMs. Does it actually take them 3-5 weeks to make them, or is that mostly due to their backlog of orders? What takes 3-5 weeks to do?

Backlog.

Actual manufacturing procedure of acrylic-shelled CIEMs can be seen here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/1455#post_8877287
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit#post_7871678

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #2,477 of 4,841
Quote:
My Alclair reference monitor review http://www.head-fi.org/t/648457/review-alclair-reference-monitor-ciem

Nice review, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
One question, which would be the top 3 in technical performance for you, in order ? And in your personal preference? Thanks

You could probably get a pretty good picture of the top 3 in technical performance by reading the comparisons in my PRM review.  Personal preference is what is in my ears :wink:  Honestly, I enjoy multiple sound signatures and don't have a "favorite."  I will say that how the music is presented is extremely important.  For example, while the ER4 has some great qualities such as an accurate frequency response, the soundstage size and shape leave me feeling like the presentation is very unrealistic.

Quote:

Backlog.

Actual manufacturing procedure of acrylic-shelled CIEMs can be seen here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/1455#post_8877287

Here is another video not linked in the above thread (from the 2nd post in this thread).

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,478 of 4,841
I've been curious about the build process for CIEMs. Does it actually take them 3-5 weeks to make them, or is that mostly due to their backlog of orders? What takes 3-5 weeks to do?

Rob Reyna the owner of in-ear customs told me it will take 1 week - 10 days to get everything done as far as reshelling is concerned. That's not 3-5 weeks really .. good stuff! 

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #2,479 of 4,841
Quote:
Here is another video not linked in the above thread (from the 2nd post in this thread).

1964 made a new, nicer, and more revealing video about the process:

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #2,481 of 4,841
Quote:

Thanks, Joe & tomscy2000,

In an effort to keep all these vids together, I've now updated my original post (and this one, http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit#post_7871678 ) with your links...

All the best

P.S. did anyone notice that, at position 0:41 in the newer of the 1964 Ears videos, it is clearly evident that they're using Sonion 2389 tweeters and 'Stock 38A' drivers? heheh

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,482 of 4,841
Quote:
Rob Reyna the owner of in-ear customs told me it will take 1 week - 10 days to get everything done as far as reshelling is concerned. That's not 3-5 weeks really .. good stuff! 

Without any backlog!

Quote:

1964 made a new, nicer, and more revealing video about the process:

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2,483 of 4,841
Feb 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #2,485 of 4,841
Advice please.

I need a CIEM for thrash metal.

Ideally I'd like forward mids that bring vocals and electric guitars into picture more than anything else.

Bass shouldn't be too far behind as I'd like kick drums and bass guitars to provide good impact, but shouldn't be to the point where I'm having to try to listen for the vocals and guitars (Like I do with the UM3X). Would prefer less bass rather than more. Impact is good but needs to decay quick. Also no bass would be bad as I dont want the music to sound....tinny.

I would like clarity and detail, the IEM needs to be able to cope with fast and complex tracks played at moderate volume or above so that the mid range doesn't get congested and sound like a big soup.

Thanks.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,486 of 4,841
You should get UM Merlin. I listen to some heavy music and they are awesome with it. Dynamic driver gives you great punch on bass, high ands mids are somewhat UM3x style, but more prominent and detailed with a little bit more edge to it.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,487 of 4,841
Its not really heavy. Megadeth, Nuclear assault. I ruled out the Merlin because of its bass, I figured it might be similar to the UM3X. I really hate the forward lows

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,488 of 4,841
I'd say it's not similar to UM3x at all. Bass has good extension below 150Hz in Merlin while UM3x has mostly midbas bump which makes earphones sound forward, thick, and warm. Merlins are pretty much natural sounding, without overwhelming colorization

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,489 of 4,841
Oh right ok, I agree with that about the UM3X. Ive read, and witnessed the bass hump and it really makes voices and guitars sound properly quiet. Its not the amount of bass in the UM3X that bothers me either, just the fact it ruins the mid range, if the mids were on the same level or a bit more forward I would imagine the UM3X would be a good IEM. Do you listen to any of the "lighter" thrashy stuff and how does it sound on the Merlin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back