Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 14, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #2,431 of 4,841
The Lime Ears and Aud-8X looks amazing! How many bores does the 8X have?

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,434 of 4,841
Hi Joe, I am looking to get a custom to be a daily-driver for everything including exercise. So I was wondering of you could share any thoughts about the reliability of BA customs in a humid sweat environment and the effectiveness of desiccant-drying systems. I was hoping to get a 1964-Vseries ciem, but I've read on other threads that sweat and oil can cause driver failure.

If dynamics are better for exercise, my next question is: what are the major sound differences between the AS-1b and i9pro? (They're the same price right now). Thanks joe.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2,436 of 4,841
Quote:
Any premature impressions on those 8X? :]

Similar to the Lear LCM-5 (yes, still working on that review), but more dynamic and powerful.  Basically, they are fairly neutral with very good detail and can pump out the bass!  I think they are $865, so for an 8 driver, that isn't bad!

Quote:
Hi Joe, I am looking to get a custom to be a daily-driver for everything including exercise. So I was wondering of you could share any thoughts about the reliability of BA customs in a humid sweat environment and the effectiveness of desiccant-drying systems. I was hoping to get a 1964-Vseries ciem, but I've read on other threads that sweat and oil can cause driver failure.

If dynamics are better for exercise, my next question is: what are the major sound differences between the AS-1b and i9pro? (They're the same price right now). Thanks joe.

BA's don't do great in high humidity environments, even with desiccants and using hearing aid dryers.

The i9pro has more of a fun sound with plenty of reverberant bass and a somewhat bass heavy, warmer sound while the AS-1b is more mid-centric, yet still warm.  The AS-1b bass is more neutral and the treble isn't as pronounced as the i9pro, but it images quite well.

Quote:
4 if your ear canal is big enough. 3 in Joe's case. But it's still 4-way. Sent my 6x for upgrade to 8x.

There are supposed to be 4 sound tubes standard, so Mitch is going to redo my 8X so I review what everyone else will have.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,437 of 4,841
Quote:

Quote:
Has anyone heard the SE 4-way from Spiral Ear?

Not that I know of.  Per Grzegorz, it is more bass heavy than the 5-way.

That would be bass-heavy indeed, on par with Sennheiser IE8 perhaps. SE-5 are quite a bit south of neutral there - have a non-neglible midbass hump, a few dB.
Similar to Earsonics or Westone 4. Even more of this wouldn't be my idea of a nice sounding IEM.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #2,438 of 4,841
Quote:

That would be bass-heavy indeed, on par with Sennheiser IE8 perhaps. SE-5 are quite a bit south of neutral there - have a non-neglible midbass hump, a few dB.
Similar to Earsonics or Westone 4. Even more of this wouldn't be my idea of a nice sounding IEM.

The leading characteristic of the 5-way is that it changes based on the way the track was recorded, so much more so than other CIEMs.  I believe this is in part due to the ability of the 5-way to change its note presentation to that of the track.  Some tracks sound thick and warm while others sound crystal clear, making it a difficult CIEM for me to compare as other CIEMs don't change anywhere near the extent of the 5-way.  Are you experiencing the same thing?

As far as the 4-way, I believe the sound signature is closer to the 3-way joker reviewed, but with technical ability similar to the 5-way.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #2,439 of 4,841
Hey, Joe. My CIEMs need a little adjustment and I've heard about the clear nail polish trick. I was wondering if you've ever done it or know how I should go about doing it. I'm afraid it'll look weird when I put it on and also what if I apply it to the wrong place, can I remove it? I'd imagine removing it with acetone would be bad for the acrylic shell unless it can just scratch off? Also what type of clear nail polish is okay for inserting in my ears? Is any kind fine? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,441 of 4,841
BA's don't do great in high humidity environments, even with desiccants and using hearing aid dryers.

The i9pro has more of a fun sound with plenty of reverberant bass and a somewhat bass heavy, warmer sound while the AS-1b is more mid-centric, yet still warm.  The AS-1b bass is more neutral and the treble isn't as pronounced as the i9pro, but it images quite well.

Thanks for the quick response; I guess I really should have proceeded to checkout with the AS-1d's I had in the ol' shopping cart during the 25% off sale. Oh well. At the time that made the 1d only $384, I think I will wait for another sale. Thanks again. :D

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,442 of 4,841
Quote:
Hey, Joe. My CIEMs need a little adjustment and I've heard about the clear nail polish trick. I was wondering if you've ever done it or know how I should go about doing it. I'm afraid it'll look weird when I put it on and also what if I apply it to the wrong place, can I remove it? I'd imagine removing it with acetone would be bad for the acrylic shell unless it can just scratch off? Also what type of clear nail polish is okay for inserting in my ears? Is any kind fine? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks!

This is the right place!  If you don't have a proper fit, the first thing you should do is try to work with the manufacturer to fix the issue.  If you bought from another country and want to avoid sending them back, I would ask how the manufacturer would deal with nail polish on the shell if they still need to do a refit.  As far as which one to use, I would recommend non-toxic nail polish such as Priti NYC Polish.  I have used nail polish on my EM3, which has helped with the fit, but that is the only CIEM I have tried it on.  After a year or so it still looks the same as when I put it on.  It is different than the shell and I can scrape it off if I wanted to.

Quote:
I want a 3-way pro so bad. 

I wouldn't mind hearing it!  Are you going to bite?

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response; I guess I really should have proceeded to checkout with the AS-1d's I had in the ol' shopping cart during the 25% off sale. Oh well. At the time that made the 1d only $384, I think I will wait for another sale. Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

That would be a good price...hope there is another sale.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,443 of 4,841
Quote:

This is the right place!  If you don't have a proper fit, the first thing you should do is try to work with the manufacturer to fix the issue.  If you bought from another country and want to avoid sending them back, I would ask how the manufacturer would deal with nail polish on the shell if they still need to do a refit.  As far as which one to use, I would recommend non-toxic nail polish such as Priti NYC Polish.  I have used nail polish on my EM3, which has helped with the fit, but that is the only CIEM I have tried it on.  After a year or so it still looks the same as when I put it on.  It is different than the shell and I can scrape it off if I wanted to.

Thanks, Joe! I've had my customs for a while now so it's too late to correct the problem. I guess I'll dab a small drop in an area to see what happens and go from there, again thanks so much for your input!

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,444 of 4,841
I used nail varnish, a couple of layers and they fit like a glove now, so happy I didn't have to send them back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back