Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jul 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #1,816 of 4,841
Dear Joe,

I followed your advice and went for the Headstage Arrow 4G to accompany a RWA iMod (with a SSD disk and an ALO LOD). Everything is under way and should arrive in a week or two, unless customs decides to give me a hard time.

Although I still love the sound of the UE 18 Pro, I am, however, ready to embark on a new set of CIEMs in order to ensure I have found the best possible compromise soundwise for my ears and taste. So what is a guy to do now?

I'm mostly listening to hip hop, r&b, some pop and rock, as well as more progressive metal (like Linkin Park). Using Apple lossless format. Like open airy sound with clarity, separation and punch but need to be holistic. Dont play to loud and in general like low volume to be able to listen to details and lyrics.

I have read a couple of the 8.a reviews and like what I "see". Is this a good choice given my taste in music (see below)? If so, should a go with the musician fit or ordinary fit? Or is there any other CIEMs you would recommend given taste and preferences? No stores up here at the Arctic Circle, so need to base my choice upon recommendations.

And while at it, I was thinking of ordering the Silver Poison from Toxic Cables. Is that a good match or is there some other cable you would choose to accompany the CIEM recommendation?

Again thank you for helping a noob out!

- StimulatedBoy

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,817 of 4,841
Quote:
Dear Joe,
I followed your advice and went for the Headstage Arrow 4G to accompany a RWA iMod (with a SSD disk and an ALO LOD). Everything is under way and should arrive in a week or two, unless customs decides to give me a hard time.
Although I still love the sound of the UE 18 Pro, I am, however, ready to embark on a new set of CIEMs in order to ensure I have found the best possible compromise soundwise for my ears and taste. So what is a guy to do now?
I'm mostly listening to hip hop, r&b, some pop and rock, as well as more progressive metal (like Linkin Park). Using Apple lossless format. Like open airy sound with clarity, separation and punch but need to be holistic. Dont play to loud and in general like low volume to be able to listen to details and lyrics.
I have read a couple of the 8.a reviews and like what I "see". Is this a good choice given my taste in music (see below)? If so, should a go with the musician fit or ordinary fit? Or is there any other CIEMs you would recommend given taste and preferences? No stores up here at the Arctic Circle, so need to base my choice upon recommendations.
And while at it, I was thinking of ordering the Silver Poison from Toxic Cables. Is that a good match or is there some other cable you would choose to accompany the CIEM recommendation?
Again thank you for helping a noob out!
- StimulatedBoy

The 8.A treble will be very different than that of the 8.A as the UE18 is V shaped while the 8.A has a warm and rich presentation that is very well integrated together.  I could see you wondering where the treble is, the clarity is within the presentation, not from boosted upper mids, and the details aren't served to you, but within the context of the soundstage.  Even the 4G treble boost probably won't bring the level of treble to that of the UE18.  The good thing about the 8.A is that it is forgiving of poor track mastering, which I find with a lot of hip hop and r&b and some pop.

For an open and airy sounding with clarity if more long the lines of the Rooth/JHA/Hidition sound signatures as there are models with boosted bass and plenty of upper mids/treble (LS8, JH16, NT-6 pro).  I would suggest reading reviews on them (I am still working on the NT-6 pro review) and seeing what you think matches what you like about the UE18 and are looking for in general. If  you don't need the bass boost, there are others that may suit you.

I have not heard the Toxic Cables and won't, at least for a while, due to my review schedule.  I have read good things, but then again, it depends on what you decide to buy.  For example, the 8.A and Hidition products both have their own upgrade cables.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #1,818 of 4,841
The 8.A treble will be very different than that of the 8.A UE18 as the UE18 is V shaped while the 8.A has a warm and rich presentation that is very well integrated together.  I could see you wondering where the treble is, the clarity is within the presentation, not from boosted upper mids, and the details aren't served to you, but within the context of the soundstage.  Even the 4G treble boost probably won't bring the level of treble to that of the UE18.  The good thing about the 8.A is that it is forgiving of poor track mastering, which I find with a lot of hip hop and r&b and some pop.

I'm assuming you meant UE18.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,819 of 4,841
The 8.A treble will be very different than that of the 8.A as the UE18 is V shaped while the 8.A has a warm and rich presentation that is very well integrated together.  I could see you wondering where the treble is, the clarity is within the presentation, not from boosted upper mids, and the details aren't served to you, but within the context of the soundstage.  Even the 4G treble boost probably won't bring the level of treble to that of the UE18.  The good thing about the 8.A is that it is forgiving of poor track mastering, which I find with a lot of hip hop and r&b and some pop.

For an open and airy sounding with clarity if more long the lines of the Rooth/JHA/Hidition sound signatures as there are models with boosted bass and plenty of upper mids/treble (LS8, JH16, NT-6 pro).  I would suggest reading reviews on them (I am still working on the NT-6 pro review) and seeing what you think matches what you like about the UE18 and are looking for in general. If  you don't need the bass boost, there are others that may suit you.

I have not heard the Toxic Cables and won't, at least for a while, due to my review schedule.  I have read good things, but then again, it depends on what you decide to buy.  For example, the 8.A and Hidition products both have their own upgrade cables.

Hi Joe,

Again thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspectives with us.

As I understand from your feedback, as well as your and Kunlun's reviews, the sound signatures of these two CIEMs are very different. However, I will not know which one I prefer before actually trying and testing both over some time. Guess there's no way to find out without actually owning both, so Heir Audio, here I come...

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #1,820 of 4,841
Quote:
The 8.A treble will be very different than that of the 8.A UE18 as the UE18 is V shaped while the 8.A has a warm and rich presentation that is very well integrated together.  I could see you wondering where the treble is, the clarity is within the presentation, not from boosted upper mids, and the details aren't served to you, but within the context of the soundstage.  Even the 4G treble boost probably won't bring the level of treble to that of the UE18.  The good thing about the 8.A is that it is forgiving of poor track mastering, which I find with a lot of hip hop and r&b and some pop.

I'm assuming you meant UE18.  
wink_face.gif

Yes, thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Hi Joe,
Again thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspectives with us.
As I understand from your feedback, as well as your and Kunlun's reviews, the sound signatures of these two CIEMs are very different. However, I will not know which one I prefer before actually trying and testing both over some time. Guess there's no way to find out without actually owning both, so Heir Audio, here I come...
Thanks!

No problem.  The 8.A is very very nice and your experience with both will be an interesting one.  I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how both compare and which one gets more ear time after owning both for 1-2 months.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #1,821 of 4,841
Well as these things go, it looks like I could be getting both my fisher reshells AND my minerva mi3's back the same day!

Cheers

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,822 of 4,841
Quote:
Well as these things go, it looks like I could be getting both my fisher reshells AND my minerva mi3's back the same day!
Cheers

When it rains, it pours :wink:  Let us know how they compare and contrast.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,824 of 4,841
I've only had one impression done here but have been back a few other times for ear related help and the service has been nothing but flawless.  Wonderful woman and she has been in the profession for a number of years so she knows what she's doing.  The one impression I did have here came out flawlessly and I did not need a remold on my customs because of it.  She might give you a discount if you mention my name, not sure if she is running that promo anymore though, but won't hurt to give it a try!  

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,825 of 4,841
Quote:
I've only had one impression done here but have been back a few other times for ear related help and the service has been nothing but flawless.  Wonderful woman and she has been in the profession for a number of years so she knows what she's doing.  The one impression I did have here came out flawlessly and I did not need a remold on my customs because of it.  She might give you a discount if you mention my name, not sure if she is running that promo anymore though, but won't hurt to give it a try!  

Thanks, I'll look her up.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #1,827 of 4,841
Quote:
Thanks for confirming.  So is the Merlin balance similar to the K3003 with the bass filters as I found them quite dark and I didn't think the Merlin was that dark.

My testing period is over and I had great fun listening to them. So basically from what hear Merlin has bass from reference sound filters, mids from high boost and highs from bass boost. But in general UM and K3003 sound very alike due to similar driver configuration. Although every time I have been listening to K3003 (with ref sound) I felt that extra high power compared to Merlin came quite handy.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #1,828 of 4,841
Pardon, but has anyone done a aud-5x to UM merlin, to Heir 3.a comparison?  Really trying to make up my mind as to which I'm going for.  I'm looking for a strong bass presence (though not overwhelming thus eliminating the beat audio i9pro) and excellent female vocals.  From all of the reading I've been doing, those 3 seem like the best choices for a musical, colorful, iem.  The 8.a seems like it would be perfect, but unfortunately out of my price range, and the 3.a is under my budget (which is a nice thing), but seems as though it would have the correct sound signature?  There only seems to be the one review really so far on the 3.a so I'm a bit leery of it.

Thanks much for the help all.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,830 of 4,841
Quote:
For anyone interested: I recently posted my review of the Heir Audio 4.A HERE

Thanks for sharing your great review!

Quote:
My testing period is over and I had great fun listening to them. So basically from what hear Merlin has bass from reference sound filters, mids from high boost and highs from bass boost. But in general UM and K3003 sound very alike due to similar driver configuration. Although every time I have been listening to K3003 (with ref sound) I felt that extra high power compared to Merlin came quite handy.

Interesting.  That is not too far off how I heard the demo from a frequency response perspective, but I didn't think it would has that treble response.  From a technical ability standpoint, how did they compare?  How well integrated is the dynamic and BA with the Merlin in comparison with the K3003?

Quote:
Pardon, but has anyone done a aud-5x to UM merlin, to Heir 3.a comparison?  Really trying to make up my mind as to which I'm going for.  I'm looking for a strong bass presence (though not overwhelming thus eliminating the beat audio i9pro) and excellent female vocals.  From all of the reading I've been doing, those 3 seem like the best choices for a musical, colorful, iem.  The 8.a seems like it would be perfect, but unfortunately out of my price range, and the 3.a is under my budget (which is a nice thing), but seems as though it would have the correct sound signature?  There only seems to be the one review really so far on the 3.a so I'm a bit leery of it.

Thanks much for the help all.

The Rooth LS4 is a warmer, bassier CIEM that you may want to add to your list, but the and-5X has more bass capability.

Quote:
Hey Joe, are you going to get the hifiman hm901 dap few months later?

Yea, I will probably get that once it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back