Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Aug 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,846 of 4,841
Alclair has a new 4 driver, the RSM.  

Quote:
hey guys, Im back in the game for a CIEM. I've been looking at the 1964 T V3 and Q, as well as Dream Earz. Has anyone tried anything dream earz asides from the AUD 5X? And can anyone do a quick comparison of those 3 CIEMs for me? or suggest anything else?

Budget is about 600-700 USD for the CIEM itself (so not including shipping cost)

I don't know of anyone that has heard both the Dream Earz and 1964 products, but to find if someone has, you may want to ask the same question in both the 1964 and aud-5X threads.  Dream Earz has two new products, the aud-6X and aud-7X.  There is a 7X review here (this ended up becoming the 7X with some minor changes).

I can't recall if this was asked before, but what sound signature are you looking for, and what country restrictions are there, if any, for your purchase?

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,847 of 4,841
Quote:
Alclair has a new 4 driver, the RSM.  

I don't know of anyone that has heard both the Dream Earz and 1964 products, but to find if someone has, you may want to ask the same question in both the 1964 and aud-5X threads.  Dream Earz has two new products, the aud-6X and aud-7X.  There is a 7X review here (this ended up becoming the 7X with some minor changes).

I can't recall if this was asked before, but what sound signature are you looking for, and what country restrictions are there, if any, for your purchase?

thanks for always replying so quickly joe!

So the ES5 review is modded very similar to the 7X?

i'll check out the 1964 and dream earz thread. Also looking at used JH audio, Unique Melody, and heir audio.

I like a bit of emphasis on bass but i cant stand too much bass either...a little bit tricky to address. Also like a little airiness from the treble.

I'll be living in the US but China is very accessible to me as well since i visit Taiwan fairly often. I could send my ear molds from there and save some cost.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,848 of 4,841
Quote:
thanks for always replying so quickly joe!

So the ES5 review is modded very similar to the 7X?

i'll check out the 1964 and dream earz thread. Also looking at used JH audio, Unique Melody, and heir audio.

I like a bit of emphasis on bass but i cant stand too much bass either...a little bit tricky to address. Also like a little airiness from the treble.

I'll be living in the US but China is very accessible to me as well since i visit Taiwan fairly often. I could send my ear molds from there and save some cost.

Yes, the 7X is similar to the ES5 but with different bass that I believe is more capable.  

There are two types of bass: emphasized and bass with enhanced dynamic range.  The 5X falls into the both to an extent as the bass does have some enhancement to it, but when there are bass heavy songs, the dynamic range results in large quantities of bass.  If a track is mastered with equipment that holds the bass back due to dynamic range, it will seem enhanced due to the additional dynamic range.  Enhanced bass is always at a higher level than the track naturally contains, until the dynamic range limits are reached.

Do you like warm or neutral mid-bass and can you give some examples of IEMs with too much/too little/just right bass?  Same for the treble...what sounds good to you, and what doesn't?

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,849 of 4,841
Quote:

Yes, the 7X is similar to the ES5 but with different bass that I believe is more capable.  

There are two types of bass: emphasized and bass with enhanced dynamic range.  The 5X falls into the both to an extent as the bass does have some enhancement to it, but when there are bass heavy songs, the dynamic range results in large quantities of bass.  If a track is mastered with equipment that holds the bass back due to dynamic range, it will seem enhanced due to the additional dynamic range.  Enhanced bass is always at a higher level than the track naturally contains, until the dynamic range limits are reached.

Do you like warm or neutral mid-bass and can you give some examples of IEMs with too much/too little/just right bass?  Same for the treble...what sounds good to you, and what doesn't?

i generally like having the bass enhanced a little bit to start off...to me...the music just sounds more "real" that way, but i do listen to a VERY wide range of music and genres so dynamic range is crucial too

Ive been listening to Vsonic GR07 the most. If i could change the signature of that...i would add a bit more bass to it and turn down the treble a tiny bit. And obviously something like Monster turbine copper pro is going over the line with bass quantity. Its hard to say what the upper limit for bass quantity is cuz i feel like i havent heard an iem with bass boost that isnt a bit over for me and most of the IEMs i've listened to were pretty much flat

I think im looking for a CIEM version of the Denon AH-D2000 with a little more sparkle and clarity. Sorry...feel like im not doing the best job describing what im going for

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,850 of 4,841
Quote:
I think im looking for a CIEM version of the Denon AH-D2000 with a little more sparkle and clarity. Sorry...feel like im not doing the best job describing what im going for

The UM Merlin comes close to that ideal, although of course nothing is going to be an exact match. The bass might be too much for you though - it's a tough thing to nail down just how much is enough for each person.

Based on your original comments I was thinking Heir 6.A, due to "a little emphasis on bass" and "airy treble", but they are out of your price range. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,851 of 4,841
Quote:
Dream Earz has two new products, the aud-6X . . .

My Aud-5x'es are on their way back to Florida, and being upgraded into 6x'es after a couple of months of headaches (fit issue, overly harsh treble, and a half-dead left monitor on the new pair) with the 5x.

Here's hoping I like the sound signature this time around. Mitch's customer service is pretty excellent, if nothing else.

I'll certainly post impressions when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,852 of 4,841
Quote:
i generally like having the bass enhanced a little bit to start off...to me...the music just sounds more "real" that way, but i do listen to a VERY wide range of music and genres so dynamic range is crucial too

Ive been listening to Vsonic GR07 the most. If i could change the signature of that...i would add a bit more bass to it and turn down the treble a tiny bit. And obviously something like Monster turbine copper pro is going over the line with bass quantity. Its hard to say what the upper limit for bass quantity is cuz i feel like i havent heard an iem with bass boost that isnt a bit over for me and most of the IEMs i've listened to were pretty much flat

I haven't heard the D2000 for quite some time, so I can't recall how the treble was in comparison to the GR07, but I did think it was quite bass heavy.  From what you are describing, I would say the Dunu DC4 or one of the aud series by Dream Earz.  While I haven't heard the 7X, I would imagine that could be the one.  

The Rooth LSX5 is also a good CIEM that may fit, but I am not sure the bass would be enhanced enough for you and the treble isn't quite as bright and sparkly as the most of the lineup.  But it has nice clarity and with a dynamic bass driver, the deep bass can convey a lot of power.  The LS4 might also be a nice option, although again, I am not sure about the treble.  Talk to Tomo at HFI and see what the head-fi price is as it may be in your budget.  Plus, I think you could get a universal fit version and if you like it then get it customized.  I also think you can do that with the Heir Audio products (at least the 3.A and 4.A).

Quote:
The UM Merlin comes close to that ideal, although of course nothing is going to be an exact match. The bass might be too much for you though - it's a tough thing to nail down just how much is enough for each person.

Based on your original comments I was thinking Heir 6.A, due to "a little emphasis on bass" and "airy treble", but they are out of your price range. 

And the Heir stuff has amazing artwork options :wink:  

Quote:

My Aud-5x'es are on their way back to Florida, and being upgraded into 6x'es after a couple of months of headaches (fit issue, overly harsh treble, and a half-dead left monitor on the new pair) with the 5x.

Here's hoping I like the sound signature this time around. Mitch's customer service is pretty excellent, if nothing else.

I'll certainly post impressions when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

Sorry to hear about your issues and let us know how the 6X turns out for you.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,853 of 4,841
Quote:

I haven't heard the D2000 for quite some time, so I can't recall how the treble was in comparison to the GR07, but I did think it was quite bass heavy.  From what you are describing, I would say the Dunu DC4 or one of the aud series by Dream Earz.  While I haven't heard the 7X, I would imagine that could be the one.  

The Rooth LSX5 is also a good CIEM that may fit, but I am not sure the bass would be enhanced enough for you and the treble isn't quite as bright and sparkly as the most of the lineup.  But it has nice clarity and with a dynamic bass driver, the deep bass can convey a lot of power.  The LS4 might also be a nice option, although again, I am not sure about the treble.  Talk to Tomo at HFI and see what the head-fi price is as it may be in your budget.  Plus, I think you could get a universal fit version and if you like it then get it customized.  I also think you can do that with the Heir Audio products (at least the 3.A and 4.A).

does Dunu have a website? And I will look into HFI, everything looks like its in Japanese though

I've been looking alot into the Heir Audio products too

Quote:

if you were to compare the merlin's bass to something else, what would you compare it too? and how is the clarity of the merlins...ive heard some mix reviews about clarity it seems

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,854 of 4,841
Quote:
does Dunu have a website? And I will look into HFI, everything looks like its in Japanese though

Dunu doesn't have the DC4 on their site, but they did put info on their Facebook page.  Yes, HFI is in Japanese, but Google translate works, and Chrome will auto-translate.  I sent you a PM with contact info.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #1,855 of 4,841
Quote:

if you were to compare the merlin's bass to something else, what would you compare it too? and how is the clarity of the merlins...ive heard some mix reviews about clarity it seems

It's tough because my Merlin is the prototype with a bit less of a bass boost compared to the final design. But I did have one of those as well, for comparison. The final version is the one you get if you buy, and it is pretty bassy (in a good way though). There are similarities with my Lawton modified Denon D7000 in that the bass is noticably prominent but still not overwhelming or distracting. It's the blend of bass to midrange that is key to keeping a balance, and the Merlin does this really well with no midbass bloat.

The clarity of the Merlins is great - it's got kind of an "in your face", aggressive upper mid section compared to pure neutral, but it isn't too much where it becomes annoying. I actually only notice it during A/B comparisons to a more neutral IEM like my Heir 6.A. But the Merlin is one of the most clear IEMs I've heard. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,856 of 4,841
Still waiting on the mi-3's to be delivered.  14 working days at this point.  The fisher reshells I got back fit better but still not great.  Tbh I've lost the will to live concerning them so will make do.  I'm also kinda waiting on the minervas so I have some sort of reference concerning fit.

Cheers

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,858 of 4,841
Quote:
Still waiting on the mi-3's to be delivered.  14 working days at this point.  The fisher reshells I got back fit better but still not great.  Tbh I've lost the will to live concerning them so will make do.  I'm also kinda waiting on the minervas so I have some sort of reference concerning fit.

Cheers

That's too bad about the reshell, but hopefully the Mi-3 will be spot on with the fit.

Quote:
Anyone heard the new Alclair RSM?

I don't think anyone on head-fi has...

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #1,859 of 4,841
Well got the minervas at work today.  Kinda wish that I'd gone for a colour now as clear really does look like a hearing aid!  Anyway had a few teething troubles, mainly to do with the fit.  I can now get the left ear in pretty much easily enough, however the right seems to be hard work for some reason.  Once I've managed to get the right in it feels fine, however it's getting that constant fit that seems to defeat me right now.  Getting them out also seems quite difficult.  If anyones got some advice or video (I can get the acryllic reshell in and out now no bother) then that'd be great!

Cheers

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,860 of 4,841
To get mine out I just place my index finger in the loop of wire that goes around my ear and twist the custom toward the front of my face. Repeat the same motion to get them in as well. They aren't like iems where u directly shove them in your ear it is more of a twist and lock technique if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back