Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jul 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,788 of 4,841
Quote:
how about some of the other heir audio customs?

I am not sure about the other Heir Audio products, but they are more neutral than the 8.A.  The Rooth LSX5 might be an option for you (I evaluated the demo, which was much better sounding than the Merlin demo I tried).  There are many options...what is your price range?

Quote:
Merlin has more bass than K550.
Merlin's bass is very similar to K3003 with bass filters

Thanks for confirming.  So is the Merlin balance similar to the K3003 with the bass filters as I found them quite dark and I didn't think the Merlin was that dark.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #1,789 of 4,841
Well, just received my EM6's today. First impressions are very positive. Let's see what happens when they have a good number of hours on them.
The fit is perfect, don't think it could have been better. Isolation is far more then I've expected, I believe slightly better then my silicone custom made earplugs. Specifically designed to block out noise, and nothing else. I am very happy that I went for the acrylic ciem instead of silicone. For me these are far more comfortable, don't even feel I'm wearing them.
I was a bit worried that the fit would be right first time around with earsonics, based on reading some other people's experience with ES. But the fit is spot-on. 

So far I'm a very happy camper, when I've got some good "running hours" on the EM6's I'll try to give my impressions, but again this is quite difficult as I have no other ciem's, so very little to compare with.

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,790 of 4,841
Quote:

I am not sure about the other Heir Audio products, but they are more neutral than the 8.A.  The Rooth LSX5 might be an option for you (I evaluated the demo, which was much better sounding than the Merlin demo I tried).  There are many options...what is your price range?

i was aiming for around 5-700 but going beyond that as long as i remain in the sub 1000 i woulda been ok. Think im going to scrap the idea of getting a custom for now tho =(

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,791 of 4,841
Quote:
Well, just received my EM6's today. First impressions are very positive. Let's see what happens when they have a good number of hours on them.
The fit is perfect, don't think it could have been better. Isolation is far more then I've expected, I believe slightly better then my silicone custom made earplugs. Specifically designed to block out noise, and nothing else. I am very happy that I went for the acrylic ciem instead of silicone. For me these are far more comfortable, don't even feel I'm wearing them.
I was a bit worried that the fit would be right first time around with earsonics, based on reading some other people's experience with ES. But the fit is spot-on. 

So far I'm a very happy camper, when I've got some good "running hours" on the EM6's I'll try to give my impressions, but again this is quite difficult as I have no other ciem's, so very little to compare with.

Great to hear you got the EM6.  I am looking forward to further impressions.

Quote:
i was aiming for around 5-700 but going beyond that as long as i remain in the sub 1000 i woulda been ok. Think im going to scrap the idea of getting a custom for now tho =(

OK.  What made you scrap the idea?

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,792 of 4,841
Quote:

OK.  What made you scrap the idea?

Well parents r a bit against the idea of spending more money to get the customs which, even for cheaper models would still cost 4-500 dollars minimum. Was looking at the Heir 4a since it was on sale but they still werent really convinced despite the fact its already 250 cheaper plus I live in Taiwan so shipping to China should be cheaper.

Since Taiwan mostly uses cash, using cash to get a new earphones just seems like a simpler thing to do. Since I'm going to college i guess carrying something as expensive as customs is a bit risky.

I'm looking into the Grado GR10 or AKG K550. Any feedback even though the two are pretty different. I've had the chance with both tho

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #1,793 of 4,841
While the cost is higher for custom IEMs, so is the performance, but you have to respect your parents!  And would someone be more tempted to steal something customized for your ear, or a universal they could wear or sell?

While I like the sound of the K550, it is large and keeps your ears very warm.  I haven't heard the GR10 in such a long time I really don't even remember what it sounds like, lol.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,794 of 4,841
Quote:
And would someone be more tempted to steal something customized for your ear, or a universal they could wear or sell?

hahaha well I think customs will definitely catch the eye of the general population (and those who dont really have much knowledge of earphones) more than universals especially something like the GR10s haha. People mite just take the GR10s for some cheap 20 dollar headphones =P 

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,795 of 4,841
Quote:
hahaha well I think customs will definitely catch the eye of the general population (and those who dont really have much knowledge of earphones) more than universals especially something like the GR10s haha. People mite just take the GR10s for some cheap 20 dollar headphones =P 

Either way it's going to get stolen.  If it's your average person who just picks things up and doesn't return it, he may do some research and if he thinks it isn't worth it he'll probably just throw it away/leave it lying around/return it.  Universals will be stolen.  My friend found apple ear buds on the floor once and eyed it like it was treasure.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,796 of 4,841
hmmm so do you really think its too risky to bring something like that to college? i know i generally take god care of my iems but i dont want any losses either

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,799 of 4,841
Quote:

I'm going into college and I'm also buying a custom in ear monitor. The risk depends on your level of care.

haha i treasure all the earphones that i own...and i like to say i take care of them rly well? haha. but i really dont know how the environment is like. A bit scared of bringing my portable amp to college too

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,800 of 4,841
Quote:
haha i treasure all the earphones that i own...and i like to say i take care of them rly well? haha. but i really dont know how the environment is like. A bit scared of bringing my portable amp to college too

I guess it depends on the environment.  I can't imagine anyone at the college I went to taking something in my possession, but if I left something, all bets are off.  But, then that is the same as anywhere, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back