Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jul 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #1,801 of 4,841
Quote:

I guess it depends on the environment.  I can't imagine anyone at the college I went to taking something in my possession, but if I left something, all bets are off.  But, then that is the same as anywhere, right?

i guess so. Thanks for the feedback. Guess i'll wait it out and see what i should do

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,802 of 4,841
I had customs, portable amp, and full sized cans all throughout college.  Used to leave it all on my desk as I went to the bathroom...never had a problem.  The majority of people don't even know what all that stuff is nor do they want to go through the effort of stealing it an figuring it all out.  Mainly they just need to study more for their exams lol

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,803 of 4,841
I think it sort of depends. If someone sees a DAP/portable amp/custom IEM setup, all together, they would be more likely to assume it is worth some money. If they just saw the customs with no other gear, I bet many people would think they were hearing aids or something. Maybe in that case they would leave them alone. 

I know someone who carries a note in the case along with his customs. It says something like: "This is a custom device that is of no use to anyone but the original owner. It carries no value on its own. Please call 555-5555 to return it for a reward, no questions asked." He hasn't had them lost or stolen so who knows if it works.... but it isn't a bad idea.

I still prefer using one of my lower end customs when I'm out and about. I'd much rather have a $400 unit lost/stolen/damaged than a $1200 unit. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,804 of 4,841
I think the best thing to do is to wait until you're there to see where you'll spend the bulk of your time. A desktop setup would be better if you spend more time studying in your dorm. Whereas as a portable setup would work better if you spend more time studying in the library or in a lab/studio.

FWIW, with my iPod touch -> Pico Slim -> custom IEM setup, most people thought the Pico slim was some sort of battery pack for the iPod and that the custom IEM's were hearing aids. I never had any issues with leaving them out while I went to the washroom or to get food, but I was in computer labs that required keycard access.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,805 of 4,841
@project86: Interesting idea, I suppose it would work on the vast majority of the population.

On another note, Dream (Audio Earz) Earz now has a 6 driver for $665 CIEM and a 7 driver CIEM for $775!  A few head-fiers have purchased them so there should be some evaluations soon.

And I am almost done with the AM4 pro review...it is impressive for the price!

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,806 of 4,841
hey. sorry guys. I've decided to continue with the customs IEM research for when i can afford it with my own money. I'm looking for a custom ranging from 400-600 USD and i generally like a slightly warm sound but also with a little emphasis with treble. In a sense i guess i like having a slight V signature but i really do care about balance still. I can live with a treble i feel isnt perfect as long as its not too recessed but I really do care about bass. I've been looking into IEMs such as UM Mage, Dream Ears Aud 5x, 1964 Quads, but really having a hard time understanding just how much bass or how bright these customs REALLY are. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Also feel like i should note that I own the Vsonic Gr07 and really love the sound of them. Also have heard Grado GR10 and adore those

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,807 of 4,841
Quote:
While the cost is higher for custom IEMs, so is the performance, but you have to respect your parents!  And would someone be more tempted to steal something customized for your ear, or a universal they could wear or sell?

While I like the sound of the K550, it is large and keeps your ears very warm.  I haven't heard the GR10 in such a long time I really don't even remember what it sounds like, lol.

no need to warm your ears if you're in taiwan, really. as for theft of custom IEMs - they won't fit the thief, and most people wouldn't know what they're looking at, so the circle of likely suspects is relatively small... I've left mine on my desk at work and never doubted they'd be there after I got back.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #1,808 of 4,841
Quote:

no need to warm your ears if you're in taiwan, really. as for theft of custom IEMs - they won't fit the thief, and most people wouldn't know what they're looking at, so the circle of likely suspects is relatively small... I've left mine on my desk at work and never doubted they'd be there after I got back.

It's more of the public stigma that discourages stealing in public places as shown in several studies.  People don't always steal because they know what it's worth but rather because they can.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,809 of 4,841
Quote:
hey. sorry guys. I've decided to continue with the customs IEM research for when i can afford it with my own money. I'm looking for a custom ranging from 400-600 USD and i generally like a slightly warm sound but also with a little emphasis with treble. In a sense i guess i like having a slight V signature but i really do care about balance still. I can live with a treble i feel isnt perfect as long as its not too recessed but I really do care about bass. I've been looking into IEMs such as UM Mage, Dream Ears Aud 5x, 1964 Quads, but really having a hard time understanding just how much bass or how bright these customs REALLY are. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Also feel like i should note that I own the Vsonic Gr07 and really love the sound of them. Also have heard Grado GR10 and adore those

These may not be your cup of tea sound signature-wise, but somebody is selling Heir Audio 3As right now on the for sale forum for $220, which is a great price, especially since Heir Audio will only charge you $70 for the re-shell.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,810 of 4,841
Quote:
These may not be your cup of tea sound signature-wise, but somebody is selling Heir Audio 3As right now on the for sale forum for $220, which is a great price, especially since Heir Audio will only charge you $70 for the re-shell.

Thanks! I'll check it out. I've heard that the 3A is a bit bass heavy and has a little bit of a recessed highs?

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,811 of 4,841
That's the gist of the one review I've read - do a search for Heir Audio 3A and you'll find the thread. It's a pretty decent review.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #1,812 of 4,841
I'll check it out. Thanks a lot. Is the Mage really that bright? from the Frq response graph on the UM website it looks like it would have some bass to it. And why may the 1964 Q or the Ts not be a good fit signature wise?

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #1,813 of 4,841
I'm not sure about the Mage. I have the Quads and I think they might suit you, but they're at the top of your price range. They have good bass impact and slightly rolled off highs - I haven't had a good session with them yet because of a socket issue which may require repair at UM. My initial feeling is that they sound really good, but I can already tell that I will eventually go for a top of the line custom. Initially, they remind me of my GR07s with the exception of the highs, to be honest, but at about 3 times the price...I will reserve full judgment until I've really gotten acquainted with them. If I were you, I'd jump on those Heirs like white on rice - you will be hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere, and Heir is very highly regarded in terms of craftsmanship and customer service.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,815 of 4,841
Quote:

Haven't heard the Mage or the Quads, but for balance the Ambient Monitors AM4 pro is exceptional for the price, with a great balance from top to bottom and ability.  The 5X is more musical and fun, but the AM4 pro is, well, stuck in my ears :wink:  I may have to borrow a GR07 for comparison...

Quote:
I will definitely jump on the 3As then! Thanks a lot haha. Can you guys give me a link?

The 3.A sounds like a great deal, and not too much risk.  If you are the 2nd owner, you can resell again with a $70 guarantee, but if you are the 3rd owner, you are the end of the Heir reshell for $70 line.  However, there are plenty of places to get reshells.

And I wanted to mention that both Dream Earz and Alclair do reshells in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back