Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Sep 25, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #4,096 of 4,841
Which one? Joe :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #4,098 of 4,841
It hasn't even been announced yet…my first "listening batch" will be done soon.  This could change EVERYTHING!

While we wait, have you seen this?

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #4,099 of 4,841
Yep, EarSonics is going to release a new UIEM with (probably bass) tuning. To my mind it'll be expensive.

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #4,100 of 4,841
My first Perfect Seal product review: the SportBud Silver has been posted.

Yep, that probably sums up the EarSonics offering.  The interesting part will be how it performs with less bass compared with the traditional EarSonics bass, and how high it can be tuned up.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #4,102 of 4,841
It hasn't even been announced yet…my first "listening batch" will be done soon.  This could change EVERYTHING!

While we wait, have you seen this?

sounds promising! I am excited again!

The ear sonics is what I expected, a sort of switch on the CIEM to change sound signature I suppose.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #4,104 of 4,841
I am not fond at all of adjustable. Pick a sound sig and then assume it.

'assume' nothing!  
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4,105 of 4,841
Hey guys. What are the current best alternatives to Sennheiser IE8's? I've had 2 pairs of these now and am getting a bit tired with the connections going funny, plus want better sound. I love my bass but am wondering what else is out there. Budget is about $300, maybe more maybe less.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #4,106 of 4,841
I am not fond at all of adjustable. Pick a sound sig and then assume it.

I'm with Mim on this one. Trying the Noble PR and FR, they both sounded great switched one direction, but lost fidelity the other direction which just may be due to my personal taste. However, you have to pay for all the unused drivers and technologies, so you end up with a paying a lot for something you don't use. Or the wasted drivers or tech could have been used to enhance the sound signature you preferred with more drivers and tech for better sound. Luckily the Noble lineup is wide enough to offer all choices including the lower cost switchless or the similar cost switchless upgrades of each signature.

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,107 of 4,841
  My first Perfect Seal product review: the SportBud Silver has been posted.

Yep, that probably sums up the EarSonics offering.  The interesting part will be how it performs with less bass compared with the traditional EarSonics bass, and how high it can be tuned up.

I enjoyed the review.  I especially liked the comparison to the budget M6.  I will say I find the M6 to be a poor performer even for it's bargain basement price.  Next time you might try putting a CIEM up against a universal impressive for it's sub $50 price.

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #4,108 of 4,841
  I'm with Mim on this one. Trying the Noble PR and FR, they both sounded great switched one direction, but lost fidelity the other direction which just may be due to my personal taste. However, you have to pay for all the unused drivers and technologies, so you end up with a paying a lot for something you don't use. Or the wasted drivers or tech could have been used to enhance the sound signature you preferred with more drivers and tech for better sound. Luckily the Noble lineup is wide enough to offer all choices including the lower cost switchless or the similar cost switchless upgrades of each signature.

I agree that the wisdom of paying for redundant drivers/components is very questionable and not a path I would personally be willing to spend money on.

However, in designs that do not have redundant drivers, I quite like the idea of being able to play with potentiometers, to tailor the levels of one or more of the drivers, relative to the other drivers. Kind of like the UE PRM, but with the adjustment being incorporated into the CIEM itself, so as to be forever-adjustable, rather than only at the ordering stage.  I'm thinking of the pots being incorporated into the CIEM shell and not following the Roxanne approach of placing one or more pots within the cable. I dislike the thicker (more cores) design of the Roxy cable.

Incorporating potentiometers into a CIEM shell still has potential problems, not least for matching the left and right channels to each other, but nothing in life is perfect, and considering how expensive CIEMs are, it would, perhaps, be a compromise worth making, in one's search for CIEM nirvana.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #4,109 of 4,841
Man, I'm having some serious withdrawl after returning my DAC2 after 30 day trial.  I wish it was priced more reasonably although not as bad as the AK240 which I don't own, but borrowed also.  I don't know if there is anybody on here tried the DAC2 that can really understand what I'm missing.  

I'll put it this way, music doesn't sound the same anymore and lost interested in listening to music for a while.  Looks like I'm a gear head.  Once I hit a top, I can't listen to anything lower.  I have no interest in trying any of the universals anymore.  I think it's from the fact that what I have is inferior and it can sound much better.

Recommend me some more reasonably priced sources that I can try that I hope to match the DAC2.  With the DAC2 I felt the NT-6 was perfect and could not get better.  Had no wishes to try any other phones that how much of a difference this source has made. It made me a believer in source making significant improvement to sound(I think certain headphones are capable of this).  I'm surprised many people here has not tried it. I just need my DAC2 fix, and I'll be all good. 
redface.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #4,110 of 4,841

Some CIEMs with switches work well, but I agree that the tuning typically sounds better one way or another.  I can't say that is the case with the BD4.2 or Viento-R.

I enjoyed the review.  I especially liked the comparison to the budget M6.  I will say I find the M6 to be a poor performer even for it's bargain basement price.  Next time you might try putting a CIEM up against a universal impressive for it's sub $50 price.

I used the M6 because that is what I have and both are made for working out.  Plus I barely have any sub $250 IEMs these days.

Hey guys. What are the current best alternatives to Sennheiser IE8's? I've had 2 pairs of these now and am getting a bit tired with the connections going funny, plus want better sound. I love my bass but am wondering what else is out there. Budget is about $300, maybe more maybe less.

Are you looking for a CIEM?  What sonic characteristics are you looking for?  How are the connections going funny?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back