Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Sep 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #4,111 of 4,841
  I used the M6 because that is what I have and both are made for working out.  Plus I barely have any sub $250 IEMs these days.

I mention it because a few months back I bought 8 different IEMs (under $50) including the M6 with the intent of finding a winner for my gym bag.  I'd say the M6 is the very bottom of the pack; for me it's not even a value at $10.

I do have 4 CIEMs (3 good/great if you ignore the crap UM 3dd) but I'm too rough on gym phones to use anything expensive (or balanced armature) when I'm exercising.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #4,112 of 4,841
My Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro review preview has been posted.

Also, check out the new EarSonics Velvet universal fit with sound signature switching.

I mention it because a few months back I bought 8 different IEMs (under $50) including the M6 with the intent of finding a winner for my gym bag.  I'd say the M6 is the very bottom of the pack; for me it's not even a value at $10.

I do have 4 CIEMs (3 good/great if you ignore the crap UM 3dd) but I'm too rough on gym phones to use anything expensive (or balanced armature) when I'm exercising.

I don't use the lower cost stuff at all and my workout IEM is the SportBud Silver now.  It replaced the M-Fidelity SA-12 that was also a canal only design and died due to sweat.  I am going to risk the SS as I have other CIEMs I can use as backup.  If I had more time I would probably get some others just to try...

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #4,114 of 4,841
Looks great Joe! Although it's a mini review:wink:

The description of h8p pretty much fits mine, expect I don't find h8p a lot brighter than se5. But I do agree with the treble sharpness. It's also track and source dependent to my ears. It's all good with 901, well make sense.

H8p is spacious like a wide theatre. Se5 has misterious kind of spacious, like listening music in the universe. Lol. Huge and dark background space.

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #4,115 of 4,841
Looks great Joe! Although it's a mini review:wink:

The description of h8p pretty much fits mine, expect I don't find h8p a lot brighter than se5. But I do agree with the treble sharpness. It's also track and source dependent to my ears. It's all good with 901, well make sense.

H8p is spacious like a wide theatre. Se5 has misterious kind of spacious, like listening music in the universe. Lol. Huge and dark background space.

Completely agree.

AJ, is my understanding correct that in technical terms H8P performs at the level of 5ways and Hidition meaning that this is top class level? How H8P performs in terms of PRaT/ADS and deep bass?

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #4,116 of 4,841
.... Se5 has misterious kind of spacious, like listening music in the universe. Lol. Huge and dark background space.

Completely agree.

Completely disagree. 
tongue_smile.gif

SE-5 is the most claustrophobic-sounding CIEM I've ever heard. Like listening to a string quartet playing inside a wardrobe.

C'est la vie

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #4,117 of 4,841
Mython, the first layer of music, which mostly includes the vocals, is very close to the listener and one could say that there is no space in this layer. But, there are other layers right behind the vocals which are located in space so 3-dimensionally that this is almost insane. I could say that vocals are claustrophobic but there is so much air and space right behind the vocals that I can easily call 5ways very, very spacious. To my ears, 5ways renders this space with ease.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #4,118 of 4,841
I think it has become quite obvious, during the past couple of years, that, even taking into account differences in personal taste, not all SE-5s actually sound the same.

If you get lucky, then you get lucky;  If you don't, then you don't.

C'est la vie

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #4,120 of 4,841
Looking forward to hearing some of your upcoming reviews, Joe.

That's nothing new, but I say this now, specifically, because

1) we are witnessing some innovation, here & there, in the CIEM world, and that makes things more interesting - as just one of many possible examples I could cite, I really dig Piotrus-g's Miracle re-shell, that he did, some time ago (NB: you need to click on each picture, to read the narrative description, to understand why this re-shell was innovative)

2) Competition is heating-up more and more (The Perfect Seal Fusion 11 is a good example of a vendor making a concerted effort to push-the-envelope without pushing the price-ceiling)

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #4,121 of 4,841
Completely agree.

AJ, is my understanding correct that in technical terms H8P performs at the level of 5ways and Hidition meaning that this is top class level? How H8P performs in terms of PRaT/ADS and deep bass?

While I still have plenty of comparative listening to do, I am comfortable saying the H8P is in the same class as the NT-6, NT-6 Pro, and SE5.  More to come in the full review.

Looking forward to hearing some of your upcoming reviews, Joe.

That's nothing new, but I say this now, specifically, because

1) we are witnessing some innovation, here & there, in the CIEM world, and that makes things more interesting - as just one of many possible examples I could cite, I really dig Piotrus-g's Miracle re-shell, that he did, some time ago (NB: you need to click on each picture, to read the narrative description, to understand why this re-shell was innovative)

2) Competition is heating-up more and more (The Perfect Seal Fusion 11 is a good example of a vendor making a concerted effort to push-the-envelope without pushing the price-ceiling)

I am looking forward to finishing some of the upcoming reviews :)

1) Nice!  That reminds me, I am expecting a UM reshell of my JH16 into a 12 driver...

2) Yes, there is more and more competition.  I am still waiting on the AAW stuff (and the previously unannounced W500IR), but the Fusion 11 is quite good for the price.  Not TOTL level of course, but in initial listening it can make some similarly priced and even other sub-$1K CIEMs sound bad.  I am also giving some ear time to a previously unannounced CIEM company's flagship 8-driver product that is interesting and should be ready for announcement Thursday.

There was a question about the Lear LCM & LUF BD4.2 a little while ago, so I wanted to post a quick update.  Again, let me preface this with "I need to do more listening," but there is quite a large difference between the Lear LUF BD4.2 and LCM BD4.2 performance.  I can see why those that have listened to the LUF may have been disappointed, and I tried it with every source combo I have; the LCM performs at a much higher level.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #4,122 of 4,841

Thanks Mython. Just a note - that reshell was before final concept of Harmony was born, and while it was innovative and a good lesson for me etc. it is nowhere close to what's going on inside H8P. H8P is also "single phase" concept but taken to completely new level.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #4,123 of 4,841
Interested in your opinion if you could compare H8pro and EM32 :wink:

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,124 of 4,841
This Lear 4.2 model has my interest with bass tuning and all. Maybe not the universal model but, Joe, do you think the LCM version deserves that hefty price tag? Considering that one has to send ear impressions to other side of the world and all?

Also, I know you still need more time with them but, would you consider LCM version of it as the same level as H8Pro, NT6/Pro, SE5way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back