Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #3,496 of 4,841
So, at last, after all the self-indulgence, my questions: As you have evaluated CIEMs, have you noted any that are flush in the ear (or even recessed a bit) more than others? Can you remember any that have a more comfortable, softer or more pliable cord than others (particularly perhaps ones where the connection to the monitor is recessed so that it is only cord emerging)? Is there a particular company where you have a feeling they would work with me on further customizing their custom to accommodate my issues?  
  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all may have.

Not sure if the sound signature would suit you, but in terms of actual size of the CIEM, have you considered the Fabs, which average_joe reviewed a while ago?:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/530659/fabs-fabulous-earphones-review-fabulously-balanced-custom-iems

You can read Joe's full review at the above link, but here's a snippet:

The Fabs are not overly warm, but not thin and can pack some deep bass punch.
There is also balance between an analytical sound and smoothed out sound, with good detail and some analytical qualities, but also nice smoothness. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #3,498 of 4,841
@Mayordean, I feel so sorry mate, I am hoping to be helpful a bit. I also agree with Mimoille, I would advise you to contact Piotrus from Custom Art, he has silicone ciems (I also have a silicone one) which are very comfortable and I have a feeling like he might be helpful and offer a special service for special request and situation. I read that his Music One model (has only 1 BA) is quite small and doesn't stick out of the ear much, I am assuming it can be comfortable even in sleeping positions but the best is to ask the manufacturer of course. Also that model has one of the highest values in the ciem history probably. Very successful product.

Since acrylic ciems are hard material and can't bend and easy to crack, I wouldn't suggest them honestly. Also if you even want smaller ciems but you can sacrifice from sound quality a bit, I remember Cosmic Ears offer 3 different size for ciems. Very small only canal type, medium (kind of half shell) and normal full shell. Maybe the smallest option can be good for you. Again, M Fidelity also makes smaller canal only ciems but not all of their line up is available for this.

I hope I could give some useful information for you Mayordean.

@Mim, Tupac: I will skip EM6 then but my friend might like it honestly, we will discuss a while apparently. As for IE800, it is an universal type so he is like me, doesn't want it. Maybe some company can reshell it into a ciem? UM or Custom Art?

Again, thank you to both of you for suggestions and all. For me, I will consider EM32 and Stage 4 (and probably Rhines and Vision's future their own unique products) seriously, if I can ever give up MH335DW.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #3,499 of 4,841
@Mimouille, thanks for the lead on Custom Art and your kind words.

@Mython, these Fabs look promising as well. The sound sig. seems about right. I moved to monitor style iems because the Atrios mg7 was the closest I could find to a quality cord-down model that didn't protrude too much from my ear and thus prevent lying on my side and sleep. I didn't care for the bass dominant sound but I also can't remember if the cord itself pressing against the base of the ear and upper jaw was uncomfortable or not, so @Deviltooth I think I'm going to get ahold of some small universal iems just to test this out. Very helpful suggestion!  Any suggestions on cord down models that basically disappear into your ear (especially cheap ones or ones that can easily be traded or resold) would also be appreciated.

@AmberOzL, I'll look into the Cosmic Ears and M Fidelty as well as getting in touch with Piotrus. Fortunately, the sensation on and in the ear are a different set of cranial nerves, but the comfort of silicone sounds like it might be an additional benefit. And you definitely have been helpful--just to have hope for a solution to this problem is great.

Again, thanks to all of you for your generosity in taking time to think about this and respond.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #3,500 of 4,841
  @Mimouille, thanks for the lead on Custom Art and your kind words.

@Mython, these Fabs look promising as well. The sound sig. seems about right. I moved to monitor style iems because the Atrios mg7 was the closest I could find to a quality cord-down model that didn't protrude too much from my ear and thus prevent lying on my side and sleep. I didn't care for the bass dominant sound but I also can't remember if the cord itself pressing against the base of the ear and upper jaw was uncomfortable or not, so @Deviltooth I think I'm going to get ahold of some small universal iems just to test this out. Very helpful suggestion!  Any suggestions on cord down models that basically disappear into your ear (especially cheap ones or ones that can easily be traded or resold) would also be appreciated.

@AmberOzL, I'll look into the Cosmic Ears and M Fidelty as well as getting in touch with Piotrus. Fortunately, the sensation on and in the ear are a different set of cranial nerves, but the comfort of silicone sounds like it might be an additional benefit. And you definitely have been helpful--just to have hope for a solution to this problem is great.

Again, thanks to all of you for your generosity in taking time to think about this and respond.

Also I forgot to write, Cosmic Ears have cable down option too and many people reported for sleeping purposes, cable down is more useful. Maybe a micro shell with cable down option can do the trick. Glad I could be helpful, I wish you luck on your quest mate.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3,501 of 4,841

Did you get my pm?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #3,502 of 4,841
Yes, thanks, PM sent in return.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #3,504 of 4,841
Hello guys,

I just wanted to share my experience in re-adjusting the fit of a CIEM. I received my reshelled Hidition NT-6 a couple of weeks ago, and the fit was ok, but a bit tight in the right ear, causing pain after 30mn or so. So I decided to resend them.

I had done the initial prints open mouth with a bite block (my fingers). I noticed that the right ear was too tight with my mouth closed but not as tight when my mouth was open. I understood then that opening my mouth made my right ear canal larger, but was fairly neutral on the left.

So when sending the right ear piece back, I send a new print, closed mouth this time, with the following pic:

C:\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

Now I got them back and the fit is much better.

Since I took my SE5 prints closed mouth and the fit is perfect, I think I will take all my prints closed mouth from now on (BUT WHAT WORKS WITH ME DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYBODY).

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,505 of 4,841
  Great help AJ, as usual
happy_face1.gif
 They are not for me honestly, a friend of mine who is new to the audiophile world and doesn't want to get attached by creating a head-fi account is asking for a ciem like that.

I think relatively warm-ish sound with lots of bass is what he is looking for. For him PP6 is out already, no extra device to be carried in the bag/pocket. I will also suggest him SE3 way ref (Kudos to Peter from Custom Art, who reminded me these ciems).

More suggestions are always welcome.

If this is for a friend, I would recommend the i9pro if it is still available (through custom-iem.com).  That is the perfect bass-head CIEM IMO, but it isn't quite top-tier.  If your friend doesn't have top-tier to compare with, then it will be amazing.  There is also the UM Merlin.  

The SE4 is supposed to be closer to the SE5, but with more bass.  I would recommend that over the SE3.

Oh, are those models are really bass heavy? I thought, for example, K10 is quite balanced while 8C is bass heavy.

The same goes for EM6 too, isn't it something like SE5way with small differences? So it shouldn't be bass heavy I guess.

Btw, how is your fit with EM6, I remember you had problems
frown.gif

I was comparing my 8.A vs. the Vision Ears (and Rhines) Stage 4, and the 8.A had a much larger emphasis on bass.  The S-EM6 is not as bass heavy, but then I can change ear tips and get more bass and less treble.

I am almost sure it is the way I described mate. I think 8C (which is an updated/improved version of 8A from Good Old Heir days) is a bassy one while K10 is more balanced and neutral sounding. Anyway you can ask Dr Moulton I guess, in Noble Audio thread.

As for the EM6, I am also interested in EarSonics, both EM6 and EM32. Do you think for me (already have SE5way) is EM6 necessary or I should put my money on other things because they are relatively similar?

I think he might like the EM6, he was telling me: Ok the way you described SE5way is perfect, everything is fine, but I want more bass than that, even if the song is bass shy, I want to hear the booms/emphasis on low range. Maybe EM6 can really satisfy him.

The EM32 looks very interesting to me.  

This is an unusual request for assistance in selecting a custom iem, and I was tempted just to send a pm to Average Joe, but just in case someone else has some degree of discomfort with wiring as it exits and loops around the ear, I'll ask publicly. I don't want to be overly dramatic, but this is nearly a life or death issue for me. As background, I have a rare disease known as Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN). It is pretty widely acknowledged to be the most painful condition known, with excruciating electric shocks and sharp stabs traveling along various nerves in the forehead and face, as well as other unpleasantries. If you google its informal name, "the suicide disease," TN is what will come up. Those like me who are further unlucky have type 2 TN which is defined by adding to the pain already described a constant, unrelenting nerve pain that is "only" as intense as a migraine. 

For the last 4 1/2 years, listening to music has kept me sane. Giving the mind something else to concentrate on beside the pain signals constantly going off is a survival issue. And of course the "activity" needs to be passive. I can and do listen to music out loud, but I can't always hog the media room and perhaps more importantly, I need music to help me get to sleep. And thus my current problem. Different people have different "triggers" that can set off an attack of the sharper intermittent pain. Until recently, the area around my ears has not been a trigger zone and I've been able to use my UM3X for hours of comfortable listeneing. Unfortunately, now the area on the scalp under the protruding ear, especially at the top, has become sensitive. The area where the plastic covers the stock cord on the Westones is making them set off attacks and worsening the constant pain I experience.

So, at last, after all the self-indulgence, my questions: As you have evaluated CIEMs, have you noted any that are flush in the ear (or even recessed a bit) more than others? Can you remember any that have a more comfortable, softer or more pliable cord than others (particularly perhaps ones where the connection to the monitor is recessed so that it is only cord emerging)? Is there a particular company where you have a feeling they would work with me on further customizing their custom to accommodate my issues?

Not to be too greedy, but it would also be nice to have a choice with my preferred sound signature, which I think I can best describe by improving on what I like about the Westone UM3X. I like the fullness of the bass, but believe the Westone roll off a little too early, leaving that rumble the tiniest bit wanting. I guess a tad quicker in the bass wouldn't hurt, but not at expense of quantity, which is just right for me. I like the forward nature of the mids, and their warm, smooth nature. Especially fond of the fact that the midrange sounds dead even across its spectrum to my ears. Like the bass, I would sacrifice an iota of warmth and thickness of note for more transparency and instrument separation. But just an iota. In terms of treble, I am completely in agreement with ljokerl about liking the detail and non-fatiguing nature, but would like perhaps a tad more sparkle; not, however, at the expense of the ability to listen for long sessions. I'm not bothered, as some are, by the intimacy of the soundstage.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all may have.

Thanks for the question Mayordean and sorry to hear about your condition, but I am happy to hear you have found something to help make things tolerable.  Many people have posted some great answers, but I will put in my 0.02.

There was someone on here insisting on the exact same thing, and unfortunately I can't recall who it was at this time.  The person did find several CIEM manufacturers that could help.  From what I recall, they figured out which CIEMs fit their sound signature and then started asking the manufacturers if they could make the CIEM with the cable down.

As far as overall comfort, silicone is generally better, but a properly fitted acrylic shell can also be fine for all day in my ears.
Here are some CIEMs that I have heard that are at least in the ballpark for sound signature:
Sensaphonics 3-MAX
EarSonics EM4
ACS T1
Dream Earz AUD-8X
Dunu DC4
Fit-Ear PS-5
UE PRM
Lime Ears LE3b (you can get it with a switch to change between the bass enhanced and standard versions)

On a side note, I have worn CIEMs (and universals) with an over-the-ear design in a way to where the cable was hanging down without touching my ears.  It looks odd, as the cable is still going up and curving around, but it isn't looped behind my ear.  They stay in place at my desk like that, so you may want to give that a try.

Hello guys,

I just wanted to share my experience in re-adjusting the fit of a CIEM. I received my reshelled Hidition NT-6 a couple of weeks ago, and the fit was ok, but a bit tight in the right ear, causing pain after 30mn or so. So I decided to resend them.

I had done the initial prints open mouth with a bite block (my fingers). I noticed that the right ear was too tight with my mouth closed but not as tight when my mouth was open. I understood then that opening my mouth made my right ear canal larger, but was fairly neutral on the left.

So when sending the right ear piece back, I send a new print, closed mouth this time, with the following pic:

C:\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

Now I got them back and the fit is much better.

Since I took my SE5 prints closed mouth and the fit is perfect, I think I will take all my prints closed mouth from now on (BUT WHAT WORKS WITH ME DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYBODY).

Yes, everyone is different from the standpoint of when their ear canals are larger, and it can change from ear to ear.  

Which reminds me - @ Mayordean: once you get impressions, you can put them back in and see how they feel.  You can check for what Mimouille experienced: issues with fit that are mouth position dependent.  Some people also have had issues in certain positions, such as lying down, so that is a good thing to try also if you plan on lying down, for example.

Let us know if you have any other questions and good luck!  There are so many CIEMs that are so good, even if they have different sound signatures, they do so many things right they sound amazing!

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #3,507 of 4,841
@AJ, thank you for the great reply, help mate. My friend doesn't have any high end iem or ciem, he suffered from lack of fit with universals (just like me), went to over and on ear headphones, isolation is not satisfying so he wants to go to the ciem world. I will ask what his budget then we will find something for him. He might get Noble 8C, that's the kind of bass he might like I think. As for me, if I am gonna get a bass monster, it will be either MH335DW or nothing
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #3,508 of 4,841
OK I need some help from you guys. Mingo replied, paraphrasing Unique Melody's reply (so I'm not sure this is exactly what they are saying, as follows:

1. My CIEMs are already molded to the second bend
2. Further lengthening of the CIEMs' ear canals would run the risk of them poking inside my ears uncomfortably
3. Effect of remolding the CIEMs using their stored impressions would be the same (regardless of lengthening the mold<--I think that's what they mean)?
4. They recommend a refit of the CIEMs by thickening select parts of the current mold where I find the fit to be loose.

I think (2) would be a standard disclaimer for any 2nd bend fit, but I need you guys' help with (1). Are these CIEMs second-bend fitted? Where's the second bend? :blink:

(in this last pic you may be able to see how narrow the end opening of the mold is compared to the sound tube itself)

Thanks in advance to everybody!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back