Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Mar 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #77 of 4,841

Quote:
Useful thread, thanks for putting this together.  One change to the chart:  Ultimate Ears is no longer offering the silicone tip as an option on the IERM (or any other model).  It's acrylic only.

Thanks, updated!

Quote:
I didn't say they can't be vented; I said it isn't required.

The statement "BA drivers do NOT require "a bit of air." sounded pretty absolute to me!  Maybe you didn't think of vented drivers because Senasphonics doesn't use them 
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #78 of 4,841
That's a shame about the UE customs. I was hoping they would get that eventually. Although I am thinking about getting the Reference Monitors but missed out at a NYC meet where they were there and offered a 25% discount but won't have funds for a while so maybe next year :p

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #79 of 4,841
Yes, too bad UE couldn't get it to work.  It does appear that silicone is a bear to mix with other material.  Future Sonics offers a soft canal (silicone) where the silicone is integrated into the bowl, but that product only offers a 90 day warranty.  Paying about $965 and only having a 90 day warranty...ouch!

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #80 of 4,841
Silicone is basically a non-stick polymer; it just doesn't bond with other materials. That's why Sensaphonics replaceable cables screw into an internal PCB board and not the earpiece itself.

And yes, Joe, I admit to not considering internally vented BA drivers when I typed my original statement. I was thinking in terms of externally vented (passive ambient) BA designs -- which, IMHO, are the work of the devil.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #81 of 4,841

Quote:
The statement "BA drivers do NOT require "a bit of air." sounded pretty absolute to me!  Maybe you didn't think of vented drivers because Senasphonics doesn't use them 
wink_face.gif

Meow! And they call me catty!

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #82 of 4,841

Quote:
Silicone is basically a non-stick polymer; it just doesn't bond with other materials. That's why Sensaphonics replaceable cables screw into an internal PCB board and not the earpiece itself.

And yes, Joe, I admit to not considering internally vented BA drivers when I typed my original statement. I was thinking in terms of externally vented (passive ambient) BA designs -- which, IMHO, are the work of the devil.

Lol, thanks for the post!  Respect and I do appreciate your input!  And yes, passive ambient does seem to be the work of the devil 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Meow! And they call me catty!

Just making sure the response is factual considering all the options available.  I am pretty sure Jack and I are cool with each other; no need to make something out of nothing....

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #84 of 4,841
Small update on arrivals: Rooth has received my impressions and let me know I would have the LS8 in 25 days.  It took 29 days for my impressions to arrive at Rooth shipped via USPS First Class International.  My impressions still have not made it to Thousand Sound.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #86 of 4,841
Thanks for the info average_joe!

A couple of noob questions:

1. I'm not exactly sure of the difference between recessed and non-recessed sockets...can anyone explain it and which is better?
2. With the TF10 remold from Kozee, what cables do they have for selection?  You mentioned that the stock cable fits loosely but is a Westone type cable a snug fit?

Thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #88 of 4,841

Quote:
Impressive, keep up the good work, someday i may buy myself some of these, hoping for some jh or westone

I will be getting a JH16 soon...

Quote:
Thanks for the info average_joe!

A couple of noob questions:

1. I'm not exactly sure of the difference between recessed and non-recessed sockets...can anyone explain it and which is better?
2. With the TF10 remold from Kozee, what cables do they have for selection?  You mentioned that the stock cable fits loosely but is a Westone type cable a snug fit?

Thanks

A recessed cable mount means the plug will go into the shell when fully plugged in while a flush mount will have the end of the plug flush with the shell.  Recessed mounts provide a stronger junction that is hard to bend the pins.  My recessed mount on my EM3 Pro is also tight, which results in more pulling force for detachment.  I will post pictures soon.

Adam can put on whatever connector you want so you can use the stock cable, or a twisted cable with either a UE or Westone style connector, your choice!  I chose a Westone style connector, so the stock UE cable I am using for my comparison isn't as snug as a Westone style connector since the UE pins are slightly thinner.  Look at the pictures in the 2nd post.

Quote:
joe: that's an unusually long wait, right?

For the LS8?  Not so much for getting it back, but for the impressions to get there, it seems so.  It takes about 20 days or so for Priority from what I have heard.

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #90 of 4,841

Quote:
That should be interesting. Doesn't the TS842 use a 6mm micro-driver for the dynamic?

Response from Thousand Sound: "The driver size of TS842 is 8mm,just like ie8"  So, I asked them if it is the same driver as the IE8.  They still have yet to receive my ear impressions, but I am hoping they get them this Friday as I sent the ones to Thousand Sound 3 days later than to Rooth, which arrived yesterday.

My biggest fear is waiting and waiting and then everything arrives all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back