Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Feb 5, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #4,786 of 4,841
  Considering they can fill the shell with silicone, it means your monitors don't have any dynamic driver, in that case, I would put my vote on "no effect on sound" however I am not a manufacturer and my technical knowledge can be lacking, so don't take my word for truth.

If I were in your shoes though, I would also go for silicone filling, it makes them more durable and isolation improves quite vastly.

Thank you, I will probably take the risk and go with the silicone filling. If it has any negative effects I will post in this thread so that others are aware.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #4,787 of 4,841

Hello, I have a question about getting some customs reshelled. The company I am using has said that I can either have a “normal” acrylic reshell, or they can fill the acrylic shells with silicone for an extra charge. I asked the company what would be the effect of the silicone filling on the sound and they only responded that it would increase the isolation from outside noise. But I thought it would also affect the sound. Am I correct and what could be the possible effects? I asked the company, but they gave me a very vague response. I would like the extra isolation, but not if it will affect the sound in a negative way. Thank you in advance for any opinions.

If the shell is filled with silicone you get response same as fully silicone monitor (measured and tested, not just a theory) If you compare hollow acrylic and acrylic filled with silicone you get completely different responses on CSD graphs as silicone is damping rining of a driver, which restults in warmer more "organic", as many call it, sound.
Also it would be good if you were aware if there are any vented drivers in IEMs you want to reshell. If you put vented driver in the full silicone shell it basically becomes non-vented reducing sub-bass quantity and extension.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #4,788 of 4,841
Also it would be good if you were aware if there are any vented drivers in IEMs you want to reshell. If you put vented driver in the full silicone shell it basically becomes non-vented reducing sub-bass quantity and extension.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, but you beat me to it!
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,789 of 4,841
  If the shell is filled with silicone you get response same as fully silicone monitor (measured and tested, not just a theory) If you compare hollow acrylic and acrylic filled with silicone you get completely different responses on CSD graphs as silicone is damping rining of a driver, which restults in warmer more "organic", as many call it, sound.

Thank you that has made me more cautious! I don't think any of the drivers are vented but I will check.

I guess I have another question then. Would there be the same effect if the shells were filled with acrylic instead of silicone?  Is it the material that matters or is it just the effect of filling the shells? The company I am planning to use don't offer acrylic filler but I'm curious as I know FitEar use that technique. I have demoed the FitEar MH334 and didn't find it especially warm.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #4,791 of 4,841

Thank you that has made me more cautious! I don't think any of the drivers are vented but I will check.

I guess I have another question then. Would there be the same effect if the shells were filled with acrylic instead of silicone?  Is it the material that matters or is it just the effect of filling the shells? The company I am planning to use don't offer acrylic filler but I'm curious as I know FitEar use that technique. I have demoed the FitEar MH334 and didn't find it especially warm.

I've never tested that, so I cannot answer.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #4,793 of 4,841
Hello, I just received a new set of acrylic custom earphones and I have a question about the fit. I have no problems putting in my new earphones. In fact, I am surprised how easily they go in and can be removed. My worry is they are perhaps too loose fitting. For example, if I am walking down the street and I open my jaw slightly, the noise from traffic becomes noticeably louder.  The earphones don’t pop out, but there is still some movement.

Another thing I have noticed is that if I am lying down on my back the sound becomes muffled when I am listening to music.  If I adjust the position of the nozzles in my ear, I can sometimes get the sound back to “normal”, but often I have to be standing.  I’ve also experienced a bit of popping in my ear canals like when you are on a plane and it ascends and descends.

Does it sound like I have a fit problem and if yes any ideas on what it could be?  I am not completely new to custom earphones as I owned a set a few years ago and I don’t remember having these issues. I also did the Sensaphonics seal test and everything seemed fine (although the high tone did sound slightly louder than the bass).

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #4,794 of 4,841
It sounds to me like you do have a fit problem based on a couple of things you said:

1) The CIEMs are going into your ears very easy.

2) Small jaw movement is breaking the seal.

3) The popping in your ear canals.

I'm only guessing but maybe the canals are not wide enough. That would explain why the sound is getting muffled when you are lying down. I've never had 1, 2 and 3 happen to me but I only have ever had one CIEMs. Hopefully one of the experts in this thread can confirm if it is a fit problem but I think you should contact the manufacturer.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4,795 of 4,841
I agree with drakhen, above, and I would add that I suspect that the area around the 2nd bend of your ear canal may not have been moulded accurately (it is impossible for me to know if this is due to poor ear impressions, poor CIEM-making, or a combination of both. Generally, shortcomings in this area tend to be due to poor impressions, but I know of a CIEM-maker in Pennsylvania who has done a poor job of this area of CIEM shells, for several customers, including me).

Some of the following post may be relevant to you;

www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit/135#post_12366845

Users who are viewing this thread

Back